Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Dropped a penny in my case. Down the "hell hole"

So while I was doing the clutch replacement, I was using a penny to stop the gears from turning while I torqued the nut back on.

The penny fell and went into a hole under a very large gear never to be seen again. I knew about the "hell hole" under the clutch basket, but I was unaware there was another one in the front. :(

I don't think the drain plug hole is large enough for it to pass through so it may be there forever.

How worried should I be about this thing? It's about a million to one that it would ever "float" back up into anything important. Right??

:-/

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by faxxxy
So while I was doing the clutch replacement, I was using a penny to stop the gears from turning while I torqued the nut back on.

The penny fell and went into a hole under a very large gear never to be seen again. I knew about the "hell hole" under the clutch basket, but I was unaware there was another one in the front. :(

I don't think the drain plug hole is large enough for it to pass through so it may be there forever.

How worried should I be about this thing? It's about a million to one that it would ever "float" back up into anything important. Right??

:-/
That penny should be safely at the bottom of the oil pan to never be seen again unless someone does a complete engine overhaul.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #3

Another hell hole in the front??? I didn't know about that one either. I dropped the penny also. It fell behind the big gear. I was able to retrieve it with very long nose 90 degree pliers. It took a while but I was happy when I got it out. I missed the tip about drilling a hole in the penny and looping the end of a wire through it. Did you have the hole under the basket covered?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Another hell hole in the front??? I didn't know about that one either. Did you have the hole under the basket covered?
Yes, I had the one under the basket covered.
I ran a long screwdriver down the hole and never hit bottom, but the screwdriver came back completely covered in oil, so I assume it's a "Frontal" hell hole.

I thought about it logically and the steel gears will probably just tear that soft penny to shreds if it ever did get up un there. So I'm not too concerned about anything locking up.

It may be the best thing to happen because then the bits of penny could flow out with an oil change.

I dunno.. I do feel somewhat better after waterman's post.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #5

I didn't know about that one either, I doubt the penny will do any serious damage, most likely it will lay in the bottom of the crankcase and do nothing at all.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

That is a real bummer. Should be heavy enough to stay where it is.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #7

Why do people use a penny when you can use the bolt on the primary gear in front of the clutch basket? All one has to do is hold the bolt on the primary as it rotates the opposite direction. At least this is the case on the 1500s. I used this method at least four times now and it is shown in the service manual if I'm not mistaken. I would never pinch a penny this way!

To your issue, you will probably be okay, but I probably would personally "encourage" it to come out by blocking the open spots and opening up the oil screen; then giving it some compressed air to try to get it out if you can't fish it out.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #8

I used one because it was a tip I read online, plus it made sense that the soft tin/copper penny wouldn't do any damage to the steel gears.

My biggest concern is that it would block off the oil pump. Other then that, i worry about catastrophic failure on the highway.
The reality is, if those steel gears are spinning at highway speed, that soft penny doesn't stand a chance, so I'm not real concerned about that.

My wife's a little freaked out about it. She wants me to sell it and buy a new one.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #9

What was the date on the penny ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Don't want to be a spoil sport - but anything that don't belong there should be in there! Period! I'd be figuring every way to sunday to get it out - and if it means splitting the cases - so be it! All it needs to do is go thru a gear or hang up monentarily and the motor could lock up. An acquaitance had a 1996 1500 Classic that had a cog tooth break off ( smaller than a BB )went thru a set of gears - broke them and then all of the other parts seized and he went skidding the the road with the back wheel locked up - finally ended up i the ditch with the bike on top of him. That is why there was a recall on the 1996 - 1997 Classic's, would have never happened if he hadn't been a top Cop and had connections at Transport Canada!
Not trying to scare you, but I wouldn't leave it in there! IMHO!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

I may be the only one who feels this way, but there is the chance that penny could become adrift and lodge itself between the gears and lock the engine up solid real fast. That thought would forever be in the back of my mind as I rode the bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I may be the only one who feels this way, but there is the chance that penny could become adrift and lodge itself between the gears and lock the engine up solid real fast. That thought would forever be in the back of my mind as I rode the bike.
Nope, your not the only one.
I would always be thinkin' about the damn thing in there also.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #13

One guy got a good flashlight and fished his out of the hole where the oil screen is with a coat hanger I think is what he used. Also could try a wet vac vacum mayby and suck it out!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyger
One guy got a good flashlight and fished his out of the hole where the oil screen is with a coat hanger I think is what he used. Also could try a wet vac vacum mayby and suck it out!
Sucking up a bunch of oil might destroy an otherwise good vacuum.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Nope, your not the only one.
I would always be thinkin' about the damn thing in there also.
I can't stand riding on a plugged tire for the first week or two. It bugs the hell out of me.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060