Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Has anyone here had problems with their neck, specifically cervical radiculopathy? Basically disc and bone disease that leads to impinged nerves and spinal cord and usually fixed with surgery.

I've been having issues since October with what I would call sciatica like symptoms, but in my left arm and shoulder. I thought may be I hurt myself in the gym and laid off for a few months, but it got worse. Finally went to the doc and he sent me for an MRI and voila. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon next week. I was wondering if anyone here has been down that road...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

I haven't had the surgery, but I have had similar problems in my shoulder blades, especially after chest days. I'm glad you're getting it checked and possibly fixed.

On an unrelated note, pretty much everytime I see a post from BD, I get this odd pain right below my lower back and right above the tops of my legs. That boy is a pain in the ass!
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

Cervical Radiculopathy

Ive aways got a pain in the neck and shoulders, mine is from a couple of fused vertabrae and whiplash from a car accident rears ago. Im not sure what they call the condition, but I treat it with ani inflamatory pills. I torn both rotator cuffs the last couple years and that just adds to the problem.
Hopefully they will be able to do something for your case.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

I started getting headaches and my grip strength in my left hand went to pot. I use captains of crush grippers and my left can do at best, half the reps, whereas before I could be about even. I've had issues like this before and usually a chiropractic adjustment helps, but this time it was like an electrical shock ran under my shoulder blade. My neck clicks and clacks when I turn from side to side too. I hate this sh!t. I thought I would hold up a little bit better. What clued me in was doing incline presses. I had 80lbs in each hand. Right went up and left just stayed there. I looked at like, go, but it didn't. Oh well.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Cervical Radiculopathy

I ripped my shoulder up with weights as well as a dislocated collar bone playing football long ago. Had surgery in 2008. Not related to your situation but I remember the doctor talking about nerve damage if I didn't fix it.

Do what you have too as nerve damage is nothing to play around with. The longer you wait the more serious it becomes. (Possibly to the point of no return).

Keep us posted.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Cervical Radiculopathy

For some of us I think it may have something to do with getting old. I took a steroid shot in my right shoulder last Thursday and the surgeon put me on steroid pills. My blood sugar stayed so high I had to take myself off the pills.

Jeff you might be right about BD. Haven't seen him on much lately.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
For some of us I think it may have something to do with getting old. I took a steroid shot in my right shoulder last Thursday and the surgeon put me on steroid pills. My blood sugar stayed so high I had to take myself off the pills.

Jeff you might be right about BD. Haven't seen him on much lately.
My mom had arthritis in her spine, but I don't recall if she was quite as young as I am when she started getting symptoms. It is what it is. I'll find out soon enough what my options are. I don't care for taking drugs, but surgery has it's risks too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

Cervical Radiculopathy

Sorry to hear about this ponch. Keep us posted on the prognosis, treatment selected and outcome.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #9

Cervical Radiculopathy

[quote author=ponch board=offnomad thread=22216 post=334450 time=1298498415]Has anyone here had problems with their neck, specifically cervical radiculopathy? Basically disc and bone disease that leads to impinged nerves and spinal cord and usually fixed with surgery.

I've been having issues since October with what I would call sciatica like symptoms, but in my left arm and shoulder. I thought may be I hurt myself in the gym and laid off for a few months, but it got worse. Finally went to the doc and he sent me for an MRI and voila. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon next week. I was wondering if anyone here has been down that road...[/

ponch in Feb. of 07 I had a disc removed in my neck to take care of the same problem except it is my right arm when that didn't cure the problem my neurosurgeon said I had large bone spurs and would not get any better, I went to another neurosurgeon and she said she could fix it so in July of 07 she went in through the back of my neck to remove the bone spurs the next day she told me she couldn't reach the spurs as my neck was to thick so after 18 months of shots and seeing 2 other doctors that see sent me to I gave up. I still have very little strength in my right arm my neck hurts all the time and I can only turn my head about half way in each direction and I have very bad headaches. all I can do is pray that they can fix you and you don't have to go through the same stuff I did good luck.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers
[quote author=ponch board=offnomad thread=22216 post=334450 time=1298498415]Has anyone here had problems with their neck, specifically cervical radiculopathy? Basically disc and bone disease that leads to impinged nerves and spinal cord and usually fixed with surgery.

I've been having issues since October with what I would call sciatica like symptoms, but in my left arm and shoulder. I thought may be I hurt myself in the gym and laid off for a few months, but it got worse. Finally went to the doc and he sent me for an MRI and voila. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon next week. I was wondering if anyone here has been down that road...[/

ponch in Feb. of 07 I had a disc removed in my neck to take care of the same problem except it is my right arm when that didn't cure the problem my neurosurgeon said I had large bone spurs and would not get any better, I went to another neurosurgeon and she said she could fix it so in July of 07 she went in through the back of my neck to remove the bone spurs the next day she told me she couldn't reach the spurs as my neck was to thick so after 18 months of shots and seeing 2 other doctors that see sent me to I gave up. I still have very little strength in my right arm my neck hurts all the time and I can only turn my head about half way in each direction and I have very bad headaches. all I can do is pray that they can fix you and you don't have to go through the same stuff I did good luck.
I don't want repeat visits as I hate being knocked out. Sorry they couldn't fix it. So when you say shots, I am guessing you mean corticosteroids? I've read that they don't have all the positive effects some doctors have been led to believe. I haven't had any there yet and I will take that under advisement.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #11

Cervical Radiculopathy

pomch I am not telling you not to get the shots I have a friend that had them and after 3 of them they worked for several months but they just didn't do any thing for me.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers
pomch I am not telling you not to get the shots I have a friend that had them and after 3 of them they worked for several months but they just didn't do any thing for me.
Whatever I do, I want the best long term solution.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #13

Cervical Radiculopathy

Your situation isn't any fun. I have had the same since a head-on car crash 30 years ago. It only continued to get worse. Tried everything; some helped -- nothing permanently.

I injured my back last October. Went the "medical" route. Wasn't happy with drugs or recommended surgery.

Took the advice of a client who was a retired physical-therapist.

Now seeing a Chiro-therapist she recommended. A rare combination; but he seems to be getting all symptoms to disappear - even the "neck-pain".

Told me a minimum of 6-months at 3-times a week. I have been diligent in attending.

Very time consuming and costly, as my insurance doesn't pay for it. (Since he does not practice the "accepted" process of therapy. That's another subject for another time.)

He does not use any drugs. Uses Chiro techniques and various traction and exercise routines to slowly increase motion and to bring the curvature of the spine in the neck and lower back into place.

It was extremely slow at first. I wasn't optimistic. But now four months into it; about 90% of the pain is gone and still improving.

Not sure if you have anyone providing the same type of practice or not; but I could ask him if he knows of another in your area.

I rarely recommend "doctors" or other such professions; but I would recommend this guy -- or at least the theory of his practice.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Your situation isn't any fun. I have had the same since a head-on car crash 30 years ago. It only continued to get worse. Tried everything; some helped -- nothing permanently.

I injured my back last October. Went the "medical" route. Wasn't happy with drugs or recommended surgery.

Took the advice of a client who was a retired physical-therapist.

Now seeing a Chiro-therapist she recommended. A rare combination; but he seems to be getting all symptoms to disappear - even the "neck-pain".

Told me a minimum of 6-months at 3-times a week. I have been diligent in attending.

Very time consuming and costly, as my insurance doesn't pay for it. (Since he does not practice the "accepted" process of therapy. That's another subject for another time.)

He does not use any drugs. Uses Chiro techniques and various traction and exercise routines to slowly increase motion and to bring the curvature of the spine in the neck and lower back into place.

It was extremely slow at first. I wasn't optimistic. But now four months into it; about 90% of the pain is gone and still improving.

Not sure if you have anyone providing the same type of practice or not; but I could ask him if he knows of another in your area.

I rarely recommend "doctors" or other such professions; but I would recommend this guy -- or at least the theory of his practice.
I've used chiropractic before as I have had issues with my neck due to an injury 22 years ago. It never was too much of a problem. I went to a chiro when this flared up and when he adjusted me, it was like a electric shock went from my neck to shoulder blade and the muscle fired. All I can say is that never happened before. After that, I decided against going back. I went to my PT a couple weeks ago and he looked at me and had me do certain things, asked questions and said he wasn't going to touch me. He said he wanted me to go to my doc and get his opinion. I did and here we are. When I go tot he surgeon, I will find out what the deal is, as in how bad. usually my doc plays the odds and doesn't do anything unneeded and in this case he setup the appointment with the surgeon for me ahead of time. In my mind, that can't be good.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #15

Cervical Radiculopathy

I understand. Not all chiro's are the same though. Certainly the one I am seeing isn't like any other I have been to.

I resist typical medical treatment since they always lean toward surgery or drugs eventually. Some quicker than others; but all do eventually after their initial recommendations don't work.

That has been my experience. Think long and hard before allowing them to fuse, deaden, or remove anything.

PS: Full disclosure. My wife works for medical college for the state of illinois -- which still doesn't sway my opinion any. In fact, it just reinforces it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417