Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Going to the Darkside...

Well, after years of "researching" and debating, I'm going to try it out. I bought a C/T from chuckster that he had in his garage. It's a Bridgestone Turanza (spelling?) 195/60R16. It is being shipped as we speak and should be at my doorstep by Thursday. YAY!

I have a shop that will mount it for me (with a signed release waiver) for $75. I couldn't find anyone else willing to do it, and I surely don't have the know-how or tools to do it myself. I may take me a few weeks before I actually get it installed, but I'll follow up with more details as I go.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #2

Going to the Darkside...

Hey neighbor, I'll be interested in hearing your follow up on switching to the C/T since I've been giving it some thought myself. Who in the Tulsa area did you find that will mount it?

Skeeter
PGR #330
VBA #01391

When you’re PSYCHOTIC you never ride A L O N E !

Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Going to the Darkside...

$75, dang. Big O' did mine for $5, took them about 5 mins.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

Going to the Darkside...

That does sound expensive to install, are they just mounting the tire or doing the complete job. If your just dropping off the tire and bike its seems pretty good.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

Going to the Darkside...

Ring, they are doing all the work. Taking the bike in and the tire and they will remove the old tire and put the new one on.

Skeeter, I'll definitely let you know how it goes. Nice to know I have a neighbor on here. I'm going to take it to Kinetic Playground on 42nd and Peoria. On another note, would you be interested in a riding group? I am part of a group that has just started up here in Tulsa area... here's our website: www.roadrunnermotorcyclealliance.com

Check it out if you want. Great group of guys, and gals, that like to ride. We have monthly meetings and some plans for weekend rides throughout the year. We're going to do an Iron Butt ride in June.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

Going to the Darkside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Skeeter, I'll definitely let you know how it goes. Nice to know I have a neighbor on here. I'm going to take it to Kinetic Playground on 42nd and Peoria. On another note, would you be interested in a riding group? I am part of a group that has just started up here in Tulsa area... here's our website: www.roadrunnermotorcyclealliance.com

Check it out if you want. Great group of guys, and gals, that like to ride. We have monthly meetings and some plans for weekend rides throughout the year. We're going to do an Iron Butt ride in June.
Donnie over at Kinetic is a good guy, can't go wrong with their work! Did you check over at K&N 'cause there are some good folks there also?
I know a few of the folks over at RRMA which I met at the very first meeting to start up GGVRA. ((James, Chris & (Damon = Pretzel or Sketso)) who I knew from another forum prior to that group.

It's a small world sometimes! lol

Skeeter
PGR #330
VBA #01391

Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

Going to the Darkside...

No, I didn't check with K&N. Where are they located? I may give them a call. I've done some business with Donnie a few times and actually used to work with his daughter-in-law.

It is a small world, isn't it. RRMA is actually the former GCVRA. We decided that we didn't want to be limited to Vulcans only, since there are few of us around, and so we decided to start the RRMA to help our group grow. I had been talking with James and Damon on the forum your talking about, I believe. It's a great group of guys to be around and to ride with. We are going to ride to Eufaula on March 5 for lunch and a meeting if you would like to join us.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250

Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #8

Going to the Darkside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
No, I didn't check with K&N. Where are they located? I may give them a call. I've done some business with Donnie a few times and actually used to work with his daughter-in-law.

It is a small world, isn't it. RRMA is actually the former GCVRA. We decided that we didn't want to be limited to Vulcans only, since there are few of us around, and so we decided to start the RRMA to help our group grow. I had been talking with James and Damon on the forum your talking about, I believe. It's a great group of guys to be around and to ride with. We are going to ride to Eufaula on March 5 for lunch and a meeting if you would like to join us.
They are located on the other side of the river and this is the price sheet I usually go by.
http://www.knmotorcycles.com/pages/custo....tcru isers.aspx
I don't know how they will be on a C/T, but it cost nothing to ask!

K&N Motorcycles and ATV Center
6105 New Sapulpa Rd.
Tulsa OK 74131
Phone: 918-446-6657

I may be interest in the March 5th ride. As it gets closer to that date I will have a better idea whether I will be able to or not.

Skeeter
PGR #330
VBA #01391

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #9

Going to the Darkside...

Thanks for the info, Skeeter. I'll check them out.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #10

Going to the Darkside...

Getting the tire mounted today after work. They are going to do it while I wait, said it'd take about an hour. The good thing, while I'm killing time, there is a motorcycle dealer directly across the street for me to check out. I'm sure I'll get all "googly-eyed" looking at all the different bikes.

Skeeter, what do you think about the ride this weekend? Think you'll be able to join us? Weather permitting of course.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250

Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Going to the Darkside...

Welcome to the DARKSIDE !!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

Going to the Darkside...

OK... First ride report on the C/T... I'll start by saying that I did ride with extreme caution and full awareness of the back end of the bike. The tire pressure was set at 41 lbs at the shop.

I rode home from the bike shop and I have to say, so far, I can't really tell a difference. The one thing that I did really notice was that I can hear the seams in the rode more than I could before. I know this is due to the wider footprint of the c/t. But really, I had no problems navigating the parking lot when I left the shop. Some people have said that it takes a little more effort at slower speeds, but my bike handled the turns with no problems. I rode the city streets for a few miles before jumping on the highway to head home. I only did that because I wanted to try some city street maneuvering while I had the chance. I took the highway because I wanted to test out the handling of the grooves in the road. I caught one larger groove for about 300-400 feet that I could tell the tire was wanting to follow. The groove was big enough that I could see it plainly, so I kind of new what to expect. But other than that one spot, the tire handled the grooves with no problems. I didn't notice any real change that what a normal m/t would handle. The ride is smoother for sure. It feels like the c/t absorbs the bumps a lot better than a m/t. I didn't really hit any curves on the way home, but the couple that I did encounter were at highway speeds (60-65). I was very cautious on the corners because (1) obviously the difference in tire, (2) it's a new tire and I'm still feeling it out, and (3) the tire had Armor All all over it and I knew that it was still slick and hadn't all worn off yet. As far as the effort going into the turn, there is probably just a hair more effort to start the lean, but once it's there, it's no issue. So far, I can't tell much of a difference, but I know time will tell and as I put more miles on it, I'll get a better feel for it.

Hopefully, we get to ride on this weekend and I'll get some more exposure to different roads and conditions.

Until next time...

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250

Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #13

Going to the Darkside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
OK... First ride report on the C/T... I'll start by saying that I did ride with extreme caution and full awareness of the back end of the bike. The tire pressure was set at 41 lbs at the shop. Hopefully, we get to ride on this weekend and I'll get some more exposure to different roads and conditions.

Until next time...
It sounds like your first experience with the C/T was favorable, that's great! I'll be interested in hearing more once you ride on it this weekend. Speaking of this weekend, what are the plans for the upcoming Saturday ride?

Skeeter
PGR #330
VBA #01391

Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #14

Going to the Darkside...

Seems like they did a pretty good job for you. I thought you would like it. Im looking forward to taking mine theough the dragon this June. I doubt it will be a problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #15

Going to the Darkside...

Yea, they did a good job. It only took them about 30-35 minutes to do the whole job, take the old tire off and put the new one on. And, I talked them into sponsoring my poker run this spring. Couldn't have worked out better.

I have to thank Chuckster for the tire. He had it sitting in his garage and held on to it over the winter for me. I first talked to him last fall about buying it from him and then finally got the funds to go through with it. He really is a stand up guy!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250