Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Whats the difference?

This might seem stupid beyond the obvious...
Other than the density of the 2 what is the difference between Moly Grease and good ole Bearing grease?
That being said....
Currently I am fixing the water pump leak I have been dealing with for the past few months and last weekend I decided to tear it down and take a looksie.
Since I am not leaking oil I feel that I am not going to mess with removing the outer bearing and oil seal as noted here:
http://hooligancruisers.proboards.co...lay&thread=204

Today I will be ordering the Mechanical seal and other components to do this job.

Back to the question at hand...while waiting for my CFO (wife) to tell me funds are available I have decided to move on and do the Swing Arm Mantenance.
At this point everything is off and short of a seal I want to order (the one that seals the ID of the end of the drive shaft) I am throwing grease every where and cleaning things up a bit.
So heres the question...
Why couldn't I use Moly grease on the area inside and on the Needle bearings?
Currently it is loaded up with Bearing grease and today I am going to hunt down a grease fitting and do the following MOD http://www.gadgetjq.com/swingarmgreasefitting.htm
I know I know dumb question but I'm curious?

In lines with this I have another question...
When I pulled the final drive off there was gear lube present on the end and inside of the drive shaft.
I know that Moly goes on the splines but I see a rubber O ring just inside of the end of the final drive where the drive shaft slips over. Is the gear lube getting beyond this O ring from around the shaft going inside of the Final drive?
It's not a lot but as mentioned above I will replace this O ring in this area.
Ok I think thats it...
:)
Thanks again

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

Whats the difference?

You could use moly grease, if you choose, it is a higher grade of grease that has higher temp ratings and doesn't go hard and cake up like cheaper grease. It has a higher shear strength and is better all around. But due to its cost its overkill in some applications, but perfectly safe to use. There are a lot of good grease products out there now that don't cost as much as the moly.
I still use it on my driveshaft splines, swingarm bearings, front steering neck etc. and a good lithium grease for most other applications.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Whats the difference?

Thanks Ring
Now I have to ask this because SOMETHING AINT RIGHT!!!
I did the Mod with the grease fitting, placed bearing grease all over the place :)
but now when I put the swingarm back on there is at least 1/8 of an inch of sloop from left to right on the swing arm??? No wobble just movement left n right.
Did it "coin the phrase" Sping on me?
There were no shims or spacers and I have it "Gutt n Tight" and I know there is no 1/8 of an inch left to tighten???
At this point I suppose I will have to shim it out but which direction? Both or just on the Nut head side?
My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw this I thought WTF is that!!!!
Is it possible that Ma Kaw cranked the crap out of this to get it to where there was no sloop?
Jeepers Creepers
HELP hehe

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Whats the difference?

Are you sure you didn't miss installing a seal on the ends where the bearings are? If not the seals have worn down and now you have that extra room for the swingarm to slop around. This is a common problem with the swingarms. You can replace the seals or shim them as I did. You should split the difference between both sides when adding the shims so the swingarm remains centered.
I had about 1/8" of play as well when I shimmed mine.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Whats the difference?

Ring
Yeap I put those seals in 1st then slid the bear surface spacers in on each side.
I suppose I need to start shim'in....
The seals looked very good and showed signs of any wear....
What did you use for shim material?
Also did you shim until there was no play left?

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #6

Whats the difference?

I had some shims that where almost the correct size from an old snowmobile clutch, I used 2-3 on each side. I just had to open up the holes a bit to fit. If I remember correctly I had to make two different size holes in the shims to fit the swingarm correctly.
A couple of large washers will work also, if they are the right thickness, you could always file them down or sand them a bit to get a closer fit.
Take a good look at how the swingarm fits back together and you will see the hole size you will need on the shims to get it back together. I was a little awkward getting it all back together by myself, but if you have an extra hand it should be rather simple.
Try to get rid of as much of the play as possible without binding the swingarm movement, and also keep it centered by using an equal amount of shims on each side. If you cant get it exact, don't worry about it, a few thousands of an inch wont make a bit of difference in the final assembly.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #7

Whats the difference?

You could check Home Depot for shims. The one around here has a few different diameters and thicknesses in the fastener dept.
I picked up some that were 3/64 and 5/64 for a non bike related project a while back.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136