Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #1

What do you think?

I had a guy last spring tell me he wanted to buy my bike. I jokingly (never thought he was serious) said I'd consider it if he paid me more than $10K.

The summer went by and he would occasionally text me and ask if I still had it. I of course did, and he would remind me that he wanted it.

Well tonight he called and offered me $9600. He said he'd bring the check over tomorrow. I told him there were a few accessories, I'd need to pull off and that I would need to think about it.

I've done some research online and there isn't a single other 06 Nomad for even close to that price. It's a great offer. I paid a lot less for it than that and it had 90% of the accessories already on it. Mine now has close to 30K miles.

There is actually a nicely accessorized, 2007 Nomad about an hour from here, that is listed incorrectly as a 1600 classic, for only $5900. I could sure do a lot to it with $3,700. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...=1600%20vulcan By the way, does anyone know what type of fairing that is? I'd need an inner fairing...

What do you think? Honestly, one of the only reasons I am seriously considering selling it is because I want a fairing and I know I would have a difficult time matching my paint, so I end up painting the whole thing. If that's the case, I may as well paint a new bike.

What do you think? Good or bad idea?

Here are some pics of my bike from last month. By the way, it was about 35' when I left and about 20' when I finally got home. Too cold!

And my favorite pic.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
What do you think?

Did you buy your Nomad new? That would be a huge factor with me. If you bought it new you know how it has been taken care of from the beginning.

I would think since you just recently painted or had your Nomad painted and you buy a fairing it seems you should be able to match the paint.

On the other hand you would be getting a a newer bike with less miles on it if you decide to sell. You would make a handsome profit.

Do you like the color of the '07 or would you want to paint it? If you decide you don't like the color then you are out the expense of having it painted.

In the end the ultimate decision is yours Jared. Would I sell my Nomad for that price? No, as I would want another new bike and no one is going to pay me enough to buy another new bike. I am completely satisfied with what I have.

My thoughts Jared, your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #3

What do you think?

Jared,
I think go for it... You would be getting a new project to start a new canvas of changes too, and also have some funds to do it with. I like the new Nomad and it looks to me that the fairing could be a Memphis shades brand, even it you can't add a inner to that one you could trade for a different brand.

Keep us posted
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Advanced Member

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131
Jared,
I think go for it... You would be getting a new project to start a new canvas of changes too, and also have some funds to do it with. I like the new Nomad and it looks to me that the fairing could be a Memphis shades brand, even it you can't add a inner to that one you could trade for a different brand.

Keep us posted
I agree. It's like you've been able to ride your current bike free for all that time.

You've given your bike TLC, raised it right and it seems time to share your love with another one.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
What do you think?

As long as it is a cashiers check and not a personal check you should go for it. Too good of a deal if you ask me.

You better buy the "07 soon tho or you will be relegated to "enthusiast" status by the membership police.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

What do you think?

Personal checks for large amounts are worthles$$. Get cash, cashiers check or bank certified check. Sell him the bike, buy the new one. Have fun. ;)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

What do you think?

OK I've got to ask, It wasn't this guy again was it? If so, your a couple of months early, if not take the money and run. ???

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...=15531&start=0

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #8

What do you think?

I would say get the money but from looking at the pictures of the bike you are talking about I would be careful it looks to me like that bike might have been down the driving lights just don.t look right in the pictures and the right hand bag doesn't have the strips on the side but the left one does. As tc would put it just saying

Old 02-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #9

What do you think?

I would take cash only (any type of check can still be a scam) and I would buy the 07 an paint it a new color. Black is SLOW

Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

What do you think?

It sounds like a good deal to me, BUT it all depends on what condition the new bike is in. Does it have service records? Any warranty? Just because it has lower miles does not mean it has not been abused. Pictures do not tell the whole story. Before you sell your bike you might want to look at the one you might buy. You know what you have, but you don't know what you might get. Ultimately the decision is yours. Just do your research first. This is just my humble opinion.

JohnR

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

What do you think?

That looks like a Memphis Shades fairing, there is no inner fairing for it. Buy a Reckless with the Kawanow discount and paint it along with the bike. Sell the MS batwing for a couple hundred bucks and take your wife to dinner.

That's a sweet deal. If the guy can write you a check, he can pay you in cash.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #12

What do you think?

This guy is offering you a lot of money for your bike. I checked Kelly Blue Book and it lists a 2007 Nomad as having a retail value of $8315.00. So his price is pretty low. If you have an opportunity to actually go see the bike before buying it and especially before you sell yours, do so, and really check it out thoroughly. I'm wondering if the bike in the photos is the same as the one he's selling. If it's for real and all is on the up and up, then I'd say go for it, but..........

If you sell yours, take cash or a money order. In any case, before letting your bike go, make sure the guy goes to the bank with you so the funds can be verified. Just my $.02.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #13

What do you think?

I would sell it in a heartbeat, you can easily replace it with a newer bike for less money.
However I wouldn't give him the bike unless you know the cheque is good. There are too many scams out there now. Id want cash preferably, or a certified cheque. Even then Id phone the bank to verify before the guy left with the bike.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #14

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
OK I've got to ask, It wasn't this guy again was it? If so, your a couple of months early, if not take the money and run. ???

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...=15531&start=0
Yep, he is the exact same dude! He takes a long time to make up his mind. ;)

This is the real deal. This guy is well off. I have looked him up on facebook and he is the owner of a rather large film making company. I don't think I would have any problem cashing the check. I'd most like have him meet me at the bank.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #15

What do you think?

Also, the new bike that is local isn't my only option. I just posted it to give everyone an idea of what type of good deals are out there! I'm not opposed to buying a bike outside of Utah, flying there, and driving it back. 3 of my last 4 bikes came from out of state.

There was a beautiful 2008, loaded (I mean CJs type loaded, trunk, fairing, cc, pipes, intake, everything!) that just sold on ebay for $8100. There are a lot of good deals to be had. I would just be patiant and wait until the right one came along.

I would also not be oposed to repainting any bike. It's a royal pita, but its worth it!