Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

GPS discussion for a near Luddite

Yes, I'm a near Luddite I don't really like depending on "technology". I also understand the irony of that seeing that I am posting with the use of my computer. I'm chock full of contradictions

I plan on longer, more frequent road trips. I'm aware of the additional conviences of a GPS device.

I'm comfortable with paper maps. Main problem that I have with that is that I now require reading glasses.

I have limited experience with GPS devices. I had exposure to them in the Army, and I was given a Tom Tom a year ago. I didn't care for that. It appears to me that using a GPS device for navigation is surrendering your "control".

So as far as requirements: It must have a large screen. It must be fairly simple to operate. I don't care for the female voice nagging at me to turn here and there etc. It must be compatible with my Nomad and motorcycle riding in all weather. It would be nice if it didn't cost an arm and a leg, yet I'm aware of the old "you get what you pay for".

So I'm open to all recommendations. I'm also looking for ideas on how to mount it and wire it to the bike.
86 Kawasaki 454 LTD
VBA member #1578
HOG Member #4541840
AMA Member # 2700186

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Same with me, was considering rigging something up with my auto TomTom. Question I have, is it possible to 'input' certain road trips into a GPS so your GPS follows the route you 'input' without the GPS doing it's own thing? Can this be done into my TomTom, I think the model is called a TomTom One, 3rd Generation.

I've come up with a route I'd like to do to go to the Rally in Maggie Valley, but I have a feeling that that is something I can't input into my automobile TomTom. Correct? I did a route I like in the Harley Davidson Rider Planner, but is it possible to put into some type of GPS?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
Same with me, was considering rigging something up with my auto TomTom. Question I have, is it possible to 'input' certain road trips into a GPS so your GPS follows the route you 'input' without the GPS doing it's own thing? Can this be done into my TomTom, I think the model is called a TomTom One, 3rd Generation.

I've come up with a route I'd like to do to go to the Rally in Maggie Valley, but I have a feeling that that is something I can't input into my automobile TomTom. Correct? I did a route I like in the Harley Davidson Rider Planner, but is it possible to put into some type of GPS?
With certain Garmin GPS's, you can create routes in HD Ride Planner and export them to your GPS device. My Nuvi 550 does this.

I can't speak for any other makes/models of GPS regarding their capability to do this, I have only owned a Garmin and that's all I know about.

I should also add the Garmin Nuvi 550 is waterproof and works great on a motorcycle.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #4

You can mount an automotive GPS on a motorcycle - all you need is a mount from RAM. You can buy these in lots of places. This site will help you find the right part number(s). You likely won't be able to hear any instructions on these units because they have builtin speakers. They also aren't waterproof, but lots of people just use a plastic baggie over the unit.
Yes, you can transfer routes from your computer to some GPS units. (In the Garmin lineup, this includes the nuvi 755 & 1490 - these can be had for low prices often at Costco and have a 4.3" and 4.7" screen respectively). The only trick is that you may have to add some extra points in the route so that it follows your specific road selections. The GPS is going to calculate a route between these points.
If you use a Garmin model mentioned above, you can get the MapSource program to create a route on your computer and transfer it directly to the unit. If it is all Garmin stuff then it should come out exactly the same.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

You should be able to plan your route to Maggie Valley on the GPS by the roads you want to take, rather than the ones it chooses. You can also do as I have done in the past and that is writing down the roads and cutoffs you will take on a sheet of paper and taping it to the gas tank. That way I don't have to look at a map, as I can't see to read one either very well. You can plan the route out on google maps and drag and route changes you choose to make, then you can print it.
Mine will say things like take I75 south 60 miles to 219 east 20 miles etc. Make a sheet for each day if its a longer trip.
I now have a gps, but its sent me the long way to some destinations, I still like to confirm with a road map.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

I have had many GPS's. Lowrance, Tom Tom, Magellon, and 3 Garmins. I am a big fan of the Garmins. I didn't like the others. I plan all my routes out on the computer, then transfer them to the GPS.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #7

I have a Garmin 750 that I can plug into my radio, it has an MP3 player so I can listen to my music and when I need to turn I can hear that through the radio no it is not water proof but a plastic bag and a rubber band keeps it nice and dry or you can buy a case for it, I like it because you can program your routes on the Garmin map source and it only cost around $100.00. and if you don't like the woman telling you when to turn you can down load different voices including Dr Nightmare

Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #8

I didn't feel like reading all the above posts so if they coverd this I'm sorry.
I have a Garmin ZUMO 550 it is water proof and made for motorcycles. You can plan your route on your computer with the program that comes with it.
It comes with EVERYTHING you need to attach and run it on your bike.
It will talk with directions if you want it to or you can mute it if you like.
I paid $650 for it new and it is worth every cent to me. Your opinion may vary
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #9

You can always get a Snoop Dogg voice for directions!

formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I have the Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS. It and all Garmin use the Navteq maps, which seem a bit better than the other companies out there.
Mine has turn by turn directions, you can turn that off. It has the ability to not use highways or toll roads or u turns if you wish when making a route of it's own. You can then use the computer and make your own routes and download them to the unit if you wish. It has built in Bluetooth that you can pair to your phone and use it if you desire. It has MP3's you can playback while riding. It has aux output so you can connect it to your stereo input jack (if you have one or in your car). It is not waterproof, but a plastic bag as stated works great!!!
Be careful getting a 4.7 size screen as accessories and mounts are not as common. Common is now 4.3 size for most and have cases, accessories. Mine also has USB mini port that you can get a charger for ROAD use that is not bulky. The screen for the most part is bright in most conditions. You can get/make a hat for it to cut down on glare. Not sure if you have a fairing or just the windshield? I had mine on a mount I made for the windshield and now on my fairing. Here is a picture of it mounted using a RAM mount (about 12.00) on a small aluminum bracket I made. It's in a perfect position to be seen. You can get lifetime MAP updates for it and you can keep it updated with any software updates. You can download your own icon for your vehicle (even a NOMAD one) and as stated custom voices and characters including some THEME's. The Garmin has a very good website and GARMIN GARAGE and MY GARMIN websites to help you.
They can be had either NEW or very good REFURBISHED for decent prices. It does depend on what you want. This one was inexpensive. However if anything happened to this one I would buy the SAME modlel again if I could fwiw.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham

Put in your start and end points then input points that you want to pass thru using the travel via button. It should then give you a point to point route that passes thru all the areas that you want to.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Well it looks as though the subject is covered with all the suggestions.
I HAD a Magellan but it took on water during a trip. Tried all the tricks to get that water out without any luck. So I bought a Garmin Zumo 220. It is motorcycle specific, able to download maps from "Ride Planner" like Scott mentioned. I do believe that both Garmin and Tom Tom now can download from Google maps. There might be a cost there I don't know. The GPS is waterproof, is expandable with a memory card, picture viewer, mp3 friendly I think. Bluetooth, but I haven't had any luck getting it to acknowledge my cell phone. It pairs up but that's it. Not sure what good that is. If anyone has an answer to this problem let me know.
I got a great deal from http://www.thegpsstore.com/ I got it shipped, with EVERYTHING in the box for mounting in a car, on a bike, wiring for in car use, and a separate harness to hard wire it in the bike. {I haven't done that yet but will soon.} All for $300. I posted the sale here when it was on. Have a look they d have sales now and then. You might be lucky like I was and just happened to come across it. You could also phone and see what they can do.
Good luck

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Thanks everyone, I'm going to do some research on everyone's tips and models. I don't wish to bogart the original post of Luddite Chucks1911 to my question....... Luddite Chuck, is any of this helping you?

Anything electrical on bikes is pretty new to me, as before my Nomad, my newest bike is 32 years old (and I bought 31 years ago) and you never really did anything with adding anything electrical to them. At least I didn't, other than a radio.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and their bikes at Maggi Valley (I'll be the super good looking guy, can't miss me ;-).

I plan on taking a scenic route down, thru the Shenadoah Valley Skyline Drive, jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway at it's beginning in Afton, VA and taking that all the way down to Cherokee, NC where it ends. If anyone is interested and is near the route and wants to hook up, here is a link:

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/373115

At this time, plan on taking off the 11th and getting to MV on the 13th.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #14

Lots of good advice has been posted so I won't repeat what has already been said, but just add a few comments. Not all Garmin's will accept your route's way points. The 200 series I know don't (had one), I could upload the route, but it only took the start and end point and then calculated its own route. I now have a garmin 1490LMT (lifetime maps and traffic updates) and it will accept the route I plan on my computer, turn for turn. It won't accept it directly however unless I use Mapsource. I find mapsource a bit of a pain, so I use Microsoft streets and trips and then ITN Converter (free program) to convert the route so Garmin will accept it. Many Garmin's now come with lifetime maps (LM) and are well worth spending the few extra dollars for that feature. I am now hooked on having a GPS on my Nomad and even if I am just riding and know the area I use it for my speed, it is accurate and where I have it mounted it is esier to see than looking down at my speedo. The 1490 has a 5" screen and is really easy to see.

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #15

chucks1911, I still prefer paper maps as well. I like the GPS for the convienence of being able to detour and then find my way back to the route. I have a $100 Garmin on a Ram Mount and it does just fine. I don't worry about route planning because I am usually not that focused on my vacation rides and if I am it is because I am with Netnorske and I just follow him.

Helps alot when you roll into an unfamiliar town and need to find a particular hotel easily, or if you want to find someplace to eat. As far as weather proof, it fits inside a sandwich bag.

My 1 real suggestion is that you get one with lifetime map upgrades included. My maps are fairly out of date now and it is about $80 to update them so I will buy another unit with upgrades included.

Hope this helps a bit.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355