Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #1

dog bowl intake

evening all

reading the latest thread on the dog bowl conversion using chucks fine line of products, and it's got me thinking... maybe I should go that route too. My main question to throw to you guys is:

is it worthwhile to do the dogbowl conversion if I am going to keep the stock pipes?

I've got the dobeck tfi, but because of some nasty noise bylaws targeting bikes in my town, I want to keep the stock pipes and run the nomad on 'stealth'. I know that will restrick the air flowing out of the bike - if so, will it eliminate the advantage of opening up the intake?

let me know your thoughts - especially if anyone else has done this.

Thanks
Brian

2004 1500fi - Blue and Grey
Ultra Nomad - In progress

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
dog bowl intake

It would open it up some and let it breathe easier. Might have to tweak the TFI afterward. If you are going to keep stock pipes not sure it would add all that much though.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #3

dog bowl intake

I would suggest doing the debaffle on the mufflers, and this will still keep you in check with the noise meter. This will let it breath better along with the intake and TFI.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 09-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #4

dog bowl intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131
I would suggest doing the debaffle on the mufflers, and this will still keep you in check with the noise meter. This will let it breath better along with the intake and TFI.
This is what I did with my 1600.
TFI+Chucksters mod+debaffle
My seat of the pants dyno tells me I increased the HP a bit more but more important it is much more responsive and sounds like a big bike should. Made me happy
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

dog bowl intake

What's your purpose in doing this mod? If it for performance, than I would recommend putting on some pipes and a fuel processor of some sort.

Just the intake, isn't going to do much for performance, imo.

If noise is an issue, go with the RoadHouse Pipes. They provide great performance without the volume of most aftermarket pipes.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

dog bowl intake

Brian, I have a Pro-Series II HyperCharger on my 07, I did have Jardine head pipes with some Harley non-baffled fishtails on it, and TFI. But I just recently put the OEM exhaust back on it because I never did like the lack of low-end torque that I lost after removing the OEM exhaust, it made a huge differance with mine and you can REALLY hear that thing when you twist on it! Still pondering the thought of removing the baffles from the OEM mufflers??? I still would like to be HEARD.... Bout got run over several times since I put the OEM exhaust back on.

2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #7

dog bowl intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
What's your purpose in doing this mod? If it for performance, than I would recommend putting on some pipes and a fuel processor of some sort.

Just the intake, isn't going to do much for performance, imo.

If noise is an issue, go with the RoadHouse Pipes. They provide great performance without the volume of most aftermarket pipes.
Quiet until you crack the throttle. That's why I love the road house pipes.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #8

dog bowl intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Brian, I have a Pro-Series II HyperCharger on my 07, I did have Jardine head pipes with some Harley non-baffled fishtails on it, and TFI. But I just recently put the OEM exhaust back on it because I never did like the lack of low-end torque that I lost after removing the OEM exhaust, it made a huge differance with mine and you can REALLY hear that thing when you twist on it! Still pondering the thought of removing the baffles from the OEM mufflers??? I still would like to be HEARD.... Bout got run over several times since I put the OEM exhaust back on.
With aftermarket exhaust, if you notice a lack of low-end, a pair of torque-cones in the headers is a cheap way to bring it back without affecting sound much.

When I ran the V&H with no baffles it was necessary (but so were ear plugs) I have HD screamin' eagle mufflers with [modified] baffles now, but I still kept the torque cones.
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

dog bowl intake

Brian you will get more, all that exhaust can breath out, and a cooler engine for it.

You can tame V&H baggers too. Mine are pretty tame till I get on it hard.

No matter what with a TFI set pot 4 to 9:00 first. Then alone set pot 1 to best idle. Work that some and find best by passing best both ways a few times.

Then go find best romp out in the boonies somewhere. At this point you will want to ride faster than you would normally under hard accelleration, like scare the pants off yerself hard.

Then if you want more economy set pot 4 back, but maintain the pot 1 green light.

Pot 4 is a rpm counter, and by lowering it the TFI will count lesser RPM.

More or less cut fuel back to your personal idea of what romp is.

This pot one by one set up is how it should be done in the first place.

This is the way you adjust mix to any given bike with any given set up. You may be near book spec and you may not.....

With a stock exhaust you will not. But you will be at the best the set up is, no matter what the set up is.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #10

dog bowl intake

Bought my bike with Cobra slash cuts and Hypercharger intake and Cobra 2000 fuel processor. Never cared for the Hypercharger....too much interference with my leg and foot on the brake....and nice show piece but not really that functional. This summer did some longer highway rides and found the pipes too noisy at highway speed after an hour riding. Recently removed pipes and installed stock Harley pipes. Removed Hypercharger and fabricated and installed dual plate system intake on right side with Fram CA79 ...2 1/2" x7" filter (will be installing the K and N 2" filter when i can get it). Adjusted the Cobra 2000 to suit. Bike performance is as good or better....suits my riding and runs excellent with same or better fuel economy. Nice rumble...but maybe a little too quiet. So far am very satisfied with results.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #11

dog bowl intake

thanks for all the feedback so far folks.
It sounds like almost everyone is suggesting doing something to the exhaust.

What if I don't change the exhaust, leave the baffles in place? (I already have the TFI installed). If I retain the stock exhaust would the dog bowl (or opening up the intake) be worthwhile? I am looking for a performance increase.

Again, the big issue is that we have a very strickt noise by-law around here and I don't dare chance aftermarket pipes. (the most I would consider might be the stock harely ones)

Also - I'm looking to avoid buying pipes along with the intake - that would make this an expensive mod.

2004 1500fi - Blue and Grey
Ultra Nomad - In progress

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #12

dog bowl intake

in your situation i would recommend leaving the pipes alone and
going with chucksters two plate air kit which uses the the stock
dog bowl and does not increase air intake noise as much as the
open filter mods.you should still gain about a 5% increase in
horsepower which on a nomad would be 2 or 3 extra horses.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #13

Blackdogbrian, The debaffled stock exhaust sound is between the stock pipes sound and the sound of stock .Vance and Hines. Maybe toward the side of stock pipes. Its not that much louder and does open up the system alittle more to breath. Maybe if you get on utube you can find a video of what the difference is. I know there was one on there at one time then make your decision.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #14

here is the video of how to and the sound difference of the debaffle

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16