Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

Health Care Crisis or Culture Crisis?

This is a letter to the President from a young physician by the name of Dr. Roger Starner Jones. His short two-paragraph letter to the White House accurately puts the blame on a "Culture Crisis" instead of a "Health Care Crisis"..

It's worth a quick read:

Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer. And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
ROGER STARNER JONES, MD

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #2

I agree with the good doctor.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #3

Docs right, Now they need to find a solution for the problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

It all starts in the home. Have we become too lazy to raise our children? They need to understand that they should be able to care for themselves. And it's their responsibility to make good for every bill they create.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #5

There you go confusing the issue with facts.

Even though its based in truth thats not what this health care is about.

Theres a whole lot of other stuff buried in it just like the stimulus and the defense budget..... they are a master of disguising the truth, inserting special interests and hiding the real facts.

It all boils down to the far left's view of "vote for me and live for free" and the newest and most improved "vote for me cause I'll get you in the country for free"
They are more interested in building a voter base.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NriderUSA

Theres a whole lot of other stuff buried in it just like the stimulus and the defense budget..... they are a master of disguising the truth, inserting special interests and hiding the real facts.

It all boils down to the far left's view of "vote for me and live for free" and the newest and most improved "vote for me cause I'll get you in the country for free"
Actually, the Dr. should have written the letter to his state Gov's office. Medicaid is a state program. Medicare is federal.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #7

I recently sprained my ankle and tore some ligamnets in my foot. It cost me $1700 to have a doctor look at it for 2 minutes and a nurse come in and give me a splint I had to put on myself! The idea behind health care is to stop the gouging the hospitals do just to get money from insurance companies. I have insurance, but also a $1500 deductable so I got stuck with most of the bill and I am in the middle of buying a house...so that $1700 I had to pay may have ruined my shot at getting financing. There is a problem in this nation and it's the lack of a public option!!!!!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb8784
I recently sprained my ankle and tore some ligamnets in my foot. It cost me $1700 to have a doctor look at it for 2 minutes and a nurse come in and give me a splint I had to put on myself! The idea behind health care is to stop the gouging the hospitals do just to get money from insurance companies. I have insurance, but also a $1500 deductable so I got stuck with most of the bill and I am in the middle of buying a house...so that $1700 I had to pay may have ruined my shot at getting financing. There is a problem in this nation and it's the lack of a public option!!!!!
I certainly hope you didn't lose out on buying the property you were trying to buy. For that kind of money they should have brought you to the strip club near Ground Zero, and had one of the dancers wrap your foot.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb8784
Thats where our healthcare system is nice, here in Ontario your injury wouldn't have cost you a dime. But you would have probably sat at emergency or the clinic for 4-8 hours before you where looked at..

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Quote:

Actually, the Dr. should have written the letter to his state Gov's office. Medicaid is a state program. Medicare is federal.
Yeah but the states aren't ramming this health care plan down our throats. The pres, senate, and house are.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer

Yeah but the states aren't ramming this health care plan down our throats. The pres, senate, and house are.
I know, but I'm trying to be factual. :)
Every bill has crap in it. Sometimes it's good for the majority and sometimes it's not. I don't like whats going on in this country, and I write to my congressmen. I certainly would like to think other people do the same. We have all been squeezed in the wallet. There is way too much stress in all our of lives.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #12

I have... get a generic thanks for writing us and we are doing what we can.
Thanks and dont forget to vote.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I have... get a generic thanks for writing us and we are doing what we can.
Thanks and dont forget to vote.
Boy that's pathetic, I hate generic letters. Actually, we are lucky in that our representatives are found at events around the state. And they WILL stop and talk to you. I've taken advantage of this numerous times. But we are a small state. One senator lives 15 miles from me and one lives 46 miles away. Our House Rep. lives 67 miles from me. I think its great that they will take the time to talk. I don't always like what they say, but hey...

Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

If you are over 50 I highly recommend that you join AARP. I have been a member for 13 years now. They do a lot of good things for us old timers. They keep me informed of what is taking place with our government and my state.

I too have written my senator and representative and the letter I get back usually has nothing to do with what I wrote about. Just the standard form letter.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
If you are over 50 I highly recommend that you join AARP. I have been a member for 13 years now. They do a lot of good things for us old timers. They keep me informed of what is taking place with our government and my state.

I too have written my senator and representative and the letter I get back usually has nothing to do with what I wrote about. Just the standard form letter.
I guess I'm spoiled. I receive update letters from all of them by e-mail. Like i said I don't always agree. But at least there is some way for me to give my thoughts.