Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Grand Canyon trip

My wife and one of her sisters cooked up a plan a few weeks ago to meet somewhere in southern Utah or northern Arizona and visit the Grand Canyon. We chose Kanab, Ut as the central location since it's only 74 miles from the North Rim. Last Thursday I rode there while my wife drove her car and we just returned home today. 981.4 miles round trip, according to my GPS.

Day 1 - Thursday, 19 August
We left the house in Chandler around 08:00 AM and headed NE of the Phoenix area to Payson, then continued up AZ87 to Lake Mary Rd. It was 54 miles from the junction of Lake Mary Rd and AZ87 to Flagstaff. We went this way to avoid I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Lake Mary Rd is only 50 MPH, but it is much more scenic than I-17. We had lunch in Flagstaff and then took Hwy 89 north from Flagstaff to Bitter Springs, the route to the North Rim. After turning off 89 onto 89A, we were only about 20 miles from Lake Powell. The skies were overcast and I could see lightning over the lake. I soon hit a little drizzle but wasn't enough to warrant rain gear. Stopped for gas at Marble Canyon and had the privilege of spending $3.479 for 91 octane.

Dark skies over Lake Powell:

Hwy 89A north from Marble Canyon parallels the Vermillion Cliffs. They are spectacular. Marble Canyon is where the Colorado River flows between Glen Canyon Dam (Lake Powell) and the Grand Canyon.

The Vermillion Cliffs from Hwy 89A:

Marble Canyon (from Navajo Bridge, over 400+ above the water):

Past the Vermillion Cliffs, 89A starts climbing to the top of the Kaibab Plateau, which is where the North Rim is located. It started raining pretty good as I reached the base of the plateau and it got progressively worse as I gained elevation (up to 8000'). These storms are quite localized and usually don't last long, so I wasn't worried about rain gear. When we reached the Jacob Lake Inn, it started hailing, so on went the rain gear. From the Jacob Lake Inn, it's 40 miles to the Grand Canyon and 30 miles to Kanab, we turned right headed for Kanab. Less than 5 miles later, it was dry and sunny, so off went the rain gear.

We arrived in Kanab around 5:30 PM and my wife's sister and her family were still a few hours away, so we enjoyed a dinner of Mexican food in Kanab.

Day 2 - Friday, 20 August

We (my wife and I in her car and her sister and family in their vehicle) set off for the Grand Canyon at about 10:30 AM. We headed back into AZ and Jacob Lake, then on to the North Rim. I had no idea Arizona could be so beautiful. Even though we've lived here since 1999, this was my first visit to the majestic hole in the ground. Approaching the National Park, we drove through tall stands of pine trees and green, lush meadows. Just inside the park, there was a herd of maybe 50 buffalo off the west side of the highway. We arrived at the North Rim Village and immediately started taking pictures.

The Grand Canyon from the North Rim Village area:

We visited the North Rim Lodge, and here is a picture of the exterior of the dining room, which has a panoramic view of the canyon:

After spending a few hours and walking some trails, we decided to check out another vantage point. These next pics are from Point Imperial, which is NE of the North Rim Village.

This is looking NE, beyond the canyon, the deep cut in the flat mesa is the Colorado River as it flows through Marble Canyon. The long stretch of bluffs in the far distance are the Vermillion Cliffs. The Lee's Ferry area of Lake Powell is just to the right of the cliffs.

The view to the SE:

On the way back to Kanab I came as close to hitting a deer (driving my wife's car) as I have in 35 years of driving. It was a young doe, and I stopped not more than a foot from it. My brother-in-law was driving the vehicle directly behind me and he said a larger doe, most likely its mother, was standing off near the tree line on our left. I didn't see her, I was more focused on Bambi.

Day 3 - Saturday, 21 August

My wife's family wanted to go horseback riding at Jacob Lake (they have 3 young kids), so I decided to take a ride in southern Utah. I rode from Kanab to Fredonia, AZ which is just across the border. Fredonia in on the AZ side, Kanab is on the UT side. I turned at Fredonia onto Hwy 389 and went through the famous polygamist enclaves of Colorado City AZ and Hildale UT, which straddle the border. About 20 miles up the road is Hurricane UT, the gateway to Zion National Park, having been to Zion several times, and because there is road construction through the tunnels, I decided to bypass the park this time.

I went to St. George and had some lunch and then visited Zion Harley Davidson in Washington (UT) to buy some new sunglasses. I hopped on I-15 and drove about 45 miles north to Cedar City UT, then took Hwy 14 towards Brian Head ski resort. This route took me near Cedar Breaks National Monument. I didn't visit the monument, but took some pictures with part of the monument in the background:

This was at about 9800' above sea level. I'm embarrassed to admit I took this pic right after I dropped my bike. I pulled in to that pullout along the highway, which was on a steeper incline than I estimated. The bike went over very softly on its right side. The surface was gravel, and the bike was laying downhill, there was no way I could get it back up on my own. After a few minutes, and after being passed by a number of bikers, some guys in a Dodge truck stopped and helped me lift her back up. I pulled up to a more level area and took this picture and a couple others.

Continuing further on 14, on the downhill side, I came upon Navajo Lake. The lake was formed millions of years ago when a now-extinct volcano spewed lava and it flowed into this valley and created a natural dam, backing up a creek and creating the lake. The lake has no visible outlet. The water seeps into some sinkholes and percolates through some fissures in the ground a few miles away. This area is covered for miles and miles with lava rocks. This was at about 8,000' and it is very scenic, as the pictures show:

Day 4 - Sunday, 22 August (no pics today, sorry)

We left Kanab at about 07:00 AM local time and went through Page AZ rather than going back the way we came. We stopped for breakfast in Page and it was cloudy until we were about 120 miles from Phoenix. This kept the temperatures down and made the return trip very pleasant. The 100 miles from Payson to our home was hot, which was what one would expect this time of year.

Sorry for the epic length, but I hope you enjoyed the pictures.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #2

Grand Canyon trip

CJ,

Nice pics and excellent write-up, thanks for your time. We saw Grand Canyon from North Rim 4-5 years ago and were amazed, would like to see it from south rim next time.

Sad to read a) your Nomad went down, b) those bikers who went by didn't help you out. Glad that nothing major happened.

I learned not to park on the incline hard way myself and hate the gravel.

Elvis

Old 08-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Grand Canyon trip

Great write up and outstanding photos!

The big ditch is on our bucket list of places to see before we get too old to travel.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Grand Canyon trip

Great pictures Scott, thanks for posting. The write up was very good also.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
VBA Founder

Grand Canyon trip

Nice write-up CJ. Glad you enjoyed the trip. I sure enjoyed the pics!

I was there 3 years ago....
http://www.hilliard.ws/utah/utah.htm

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Grand Canyon trip

About ten years ago the wife and I hiked to the bottom (South Kibab Trail to Phantom Ranch) and back out (Bright Angle Creek Trail) in one day.
Your photos bring back memories.
Thanks!
Mike

Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #7

Grand Canyon trip

Thanks for the write up and pics. looks like a nice trip.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #8

Grand Canyon trip

Great trip report and pictures Scott. I've never been to the Grand Canyon but really want to visit there. Our son, daughter in law and grandson are stationed at Hill AFB, Utah so hopefully we will get make a trip to see them and the Canyon. Thanks for sharing.

Joe "Griz" Grisolano
2008 Arctic Pearl Honda Goldwing
2008 Black/Red Nomad - Traded September, 2013
VBA #1210
Pittsburg, Kansas

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Grand Canyon trip

Looks like a great trip there Scott. Haven't visited the Grand Canyon yet but it is on my list.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Grand Canyon trip

Sounds like a great trip (other than dropping the bike!) Scott. remember when I called you from the Grand Canyon earlier in June and I hadn't been there either until then? The vastness is pretty amazing isn't it?!!

That is a "must do" for anyone living in the US.....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Grand Canyon trip

The Grand Canyon really is an impressive sight, and pictures don't come close to doing it justice. Like I said, I've lived in AZ for 11 years and this was the first visit I've made to the canyon. I've flown over it many times and have been somewhat close, but never peered over the edge until now.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #12

Grand Canyon trip

Great pics CJ. I still have the North rim and the to see list yet. When you have good pics a trip report is never to long.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #13

Grand Canyon trip

Great pics and summary Scott. Was it any cooler there?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Grand Canyon trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Great pics and summary Scott. Was it any cooler there?
Yeah, but anything under 100° is "cool" to me. It was probably in the upper 80's/low 90's. It was real nice in Kanab, it actually cooled down at night there. The Saturday ride I took got real warm around Hurricane/St. George, that's the hottest region of Utah. Once I started up I-15 to Cedar City, it cooled down and the Hwy 14 portion was real nice at 9500'.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #15

Grand Canyon trip

Great Pics and report CJ. I have not done the North Rim, but we see the south rim every few months as my son lives and works at the Canyon on the South Rim.