Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Performance Kits for Nomad

Has anybody seen these kits from Thunder Mfg.?

Any comments? Just curious. ;)

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=169

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=345
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #2

Here is a better deal:

http://www.muzzys.com/Vulcan1571/index.html

To make any real power you need to flow the heads. The Meanie comes with larger valves and more aggressive cams. If you could find a set of meanie heads you would be better going that Way than adding 'cubes'.

If you can't flow enough air you won't make the power.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #3

Nice, That's What I Really Miss From My RoadKing
Is The Awesome Power And Torque!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #4

One of my alma maters is a tech school with a great machine tool program and a Kawasaki powersport mechanics program. I wonder if I could get the two areas to work together on my bike???
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Wondering if the cylinders and pistons from a 2000 Vulcan would bolt to the bottom end of a 1600 ???
Now that would be awsome "2000nomad"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I'm guessing the fact that it's a cruiser and a complex engine compared to harley that is why the lack of engine mod support. If you really want to go fast get a zx14 and have fun
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

No offense; but it just doesn't seem to make much sense (at least financially) to spend $1,200+ on improving the performance of a Nomad.

A stock Nomad, with maybe a few minor mods is a pretty good bike in itself without trying to make it something it wasn't meant to be... unless that is simply the point one wants to make.

Again, I am not trying to offend anyone here; but I just don't see the common-sense with this mod. There would be other choices out there that already come equiped with the performance you would achieve with this mod.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #8

I had a bike prior to my Nomad, a Road Star Warrior. Great bike, fun to ride, LOTS of power. There are some faster power cruisers on the market, VTX, VROD, M109, but the Warrior takes them ALL in a canyon (given a rider of course). It's great making all that power, but for a touring bike the Nomad, while not a tire shredder, certainly makes PLENTY of power. My wife has an FJR 1300. If you want to go fast and tour, that's the way to go (or a BMW K bike, Concours etc. etc.).

The problems with having so much power and torque? Tires. I was lucky to get six or seven thousand out of a rear on the Warrior, and that was being gentle. Not to mention, I would start to question my reliability with adding these kits. I bought my bike as a long distance tourer and I want that reliability. I like the guys on there Street Glides with huge cams, new tops and bottoms, all to go to the bar. My bike is to ride.

It's your bike, do what you want with it. I'm just telling you I've been down the road of power and its fun, but how fast do you need to go? I'm still gonna get there the same time as everyone else.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
Top Contributor

if I wanted more power I would just buy another bike noted for such, just my opinion though. :-)

Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Nomad with a few mods suits my needs

Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #11

Speeking of powerful nomads, has anyone heard from nightmare recently?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #12

Different people like different things, my stock power train works for me but I do get that some folks are into more power. Riding my neighbor's GSXR1000 drag bike is a blast.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #13

I think the Nomad, at least 1600 as that is my experience base, is a well balanced bike as is: acceleration, brakes, cornering, and seating position all work really well together. Nicely engineered by Kawasaki. If you truly want the enjoyment and advantage of significantly increased acceleration and top end, then it needs to come with changes in the total package: braking to haul it down from speed and enhanced cornering to take advantage of the speed and acceleration. The one thing they could have done that would have dampened this type of discussion was give it a slightly lower first gear so it has a better hole shot. It has plenty of horse power and torque down low, just doesn't have the gearing to show it off.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
I think the Nomad, at least 1600 as that is my experience base, is a well balanced bike as is: acceleration, brakes, cornering, and seating position all work really well together. Nicely engineered by Kawasaki. If you truly want the enjoyment and advantage of significantly increased acceleration and top end, then it needs to come with changes in the total package: braking to haul it down from speed and enhanced cornering to take advantage of the speed and acceleration. The one thing they could have done that would have dampened this type of discussion was give it a slightly lower first gear so it has a better hole shot. It has plenty of horse power and torque down low, just doesn't have the gearing to show it off.
Just putting a 2000cc in it would be great. They have the mean streak engine that would be close to perfect ;)

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
Just putting a 2000cc in it would be great. They have the mean streak engine that would be close to perfect ;)
Could be fun, but I think you'd need to tweak the rake angle and maybe tires to really let the fun out of it.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.