Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #1

Questions for the Harley fairing users -

Hi folks,

I've been working on putting the harley fairing on my bike.
1.I picked up an old outter and inner fairing
2. got a set of chuck's brackets (solid)
3. am putting it all together.

Couple questions for those who've put em on theirs:

1- stereo. Can you get adaptor kit to make a regular stereo (ie sony) fit well with the harley? If so, what one?
2- poll - what did you fill the extra holes with? I've got 4 speakers in there, plus a couple dummy gauges (not hooked up) but still have extra holes.
3 - did you shift the headlight forward?
4 - After everything is said and done, it seems there is alot of extra room at the front around the headlight. Did you plug the it up at all?

I am sure there will be more questions - thanks in advance!
Brian

2004 1500fi - Blue and Grey
Ultra Nomad - In progress

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

My HD fairing does not have the inner shell and I had to cut the bottom portion of the headlight shroud off so it just fits on the top part of headlight. There is a small opening around the headlight but no problem. Have been using it for about 4 years this way. I installed a radio module from a guy who makes them in Mich. I mounted it on the handlebars at 3 points. Completely independent of the fairing. I can go back to OEM windshield without a problem. I also have pull back risers on the bike.
VBA#01280
KawiNow #1280
DarkSide#315
Patriot Guard
Army Vet

Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #3

one more question for you.....

the three screws at the top, that the windshield goes into. My inner fairing was missing any bolts or threads in this area - looks like they have been pulled out. Anybody know what they are - so I can glue some replacements in?

Thanks
Brian

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

To #1 I could not find at the time an adapter for the stereo so I went and made my own which was basically a piece of 1/8" steel centered in the opening of the fairing and I used SS cap screws to secure it to the fairing. I had to drill 4 holes through the front but the cap screws don't look too bad. The back of the stereo is supported with a piece of 1" aluminum anchored at the back and attached to the fairing between what would be Harley speedo and tach.
#2 I installed 4 speakers in the factory locations as well as where the Harley speedo and tach would be. For the rest of the stock gauge locations i went to Harley and you can buy filler plugs for those holes. They will stay until I can install my own gages.
#3 Headlight is in stock location and there is a gap surrounding the headlight of which i haven't figured out what I can do to seal it either.
#4 I think that the 3 screws for the windshield are 1/4 20's if I am not mistaken.

Ed

Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #5

Thanks Ed,

I've been slowly making progress.
Haven't got the tunes going yet, but have 4 speakers mounted. For the bolts, I actually had to go to harley as the inner parts (the threaded section) had been stripped out - so I got the HD ones. Worked well, and windshield hasn't moved since.
I actually haven't noticed much issue with the gap, but I am thinking I might try and wrap a peice of alluminum between the headlight bucket and stereo - attached to the brackets, to help stop any water from sneaking in during a heavy rain.

I picked up some gauges at princess auto when they were on sale, and am using them as the plugs. Don't have em hooked up right now, but they fill the holes nicely.

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #6

Not sure if you found a stereo mount yet, but I used this one, it is very well made and fits perfect. Looks great as well, but it comes at a cost.

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id179.html
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389