Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Rode to work for the first time yeaterday

Yesterday I took the bike to work for the first time. I left the house at 2pm & rode the 27 miles to West Sacramento. The sun was shinning & the wind was blowing about 15-20 mph. I did get blown around some when I came up behind big rigs, but nothing too drastic.

Coming home about midnite, I took the freeway off ramp for my town. I stopped at the red light at the bottom of the ramp, a few seconds later the light turned green for me, as I started out here comes a local police car doing about 50, (in a 35) from my left. YES, HE ran the red light, & no he did not have any emergency lights on.

In our defensive driver training from work, one thing they teach is to wait a second or two before pulling into an intersection on a fresh green lite. This is to allow the red lite runners to clear the intersection before you enter. This one piece of training may have saved my life last nite. -Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #2

Good eyes Rich. Glad you saw them and are here to tell us about it.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #3

I have seen that in more than one instance... Its scary, but it Reminds me of that movie "Superbad"... lol. that was pretty funny.... I am sure that police officers are nothing like that, but sometimes they do slip up...

Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I ride Mon, wed, and friday every week. Yep! That means the Nomad is downstairs in a secured parking spot waiting for daddy to get off work!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

Had the same thing happen to me a while back when I lived in Dallas. I was coming out of a grocery store late at nite... so there weren't many cars out... it was a divided 4 lane road and I was in my cage headed home.... I checked both ways as I was pulling out and didn't see anything... I just happen to catch a reflection that made me look closer and stop... it was a Police car doing well over 100mph with NO...and I MEAN NOOOO lights at all on. Headlight, Flashing Lights, Driving Lights...NADA!!!! He would have cut my truck in two easily had I gone ahead and pulled out! I never could catch up w/ him to get a number to turn him in!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Good advice. The Phoenix area is notorius for red light running, and I see it all the time. Remember kids, there's no prize for being first off the line when the light turns green, and you just might get t-boned.

I also do not pull out into the crosswalk lines when waiting to make a left hand turn. I will in a cage, but not on a bike where there's no protection. I've had a-holes behind me honk at me for not moving forward while waiting to turn left. If you want to honk at me, I've got all day to just sit there.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #7

I rode mine to work yesterday as well. I wish the ride was longer. It's only about 5 or so miles now, with a lot of stops in between. Until a couple of years ago I lived a couple of miles out of town, and it was closer to 15-20 miles to work. I rode the bike every day I could. Now, it's just not as fun since the distance is so short.

There's crazy traffic here in Bryan/College Station year round. I don't know where these people learned to drive. I used to think it was the college students, but the traffic is just as bad when they are off for holidays and out of town for a few weeks.

Running red lights here is a requirement of having a license, I think. I'm beginning to suspect I'm the only person who drives the speed limit, users my blinker, and otherwise observes the laws.