Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #1

New to Forum

I am not new to the Motorcycle Community but I am new here. I have had a bike on and off for the better part of my life. Raising a family and job commitments make riding difficult sometimes. ::) The kids are growing up and starting to go out on their own and I have an itch that I think only a Nomad can scratch. I am currently looking to purchase a 1600 Vulcan Nomad. I asked a question on the VROC Forum about that bike and I was directed here by Dan Lund and Cactusjack. I do mostly 2 up touring and commute to work. I like to pull a trailer when we go on long trips. I have most recently owned (3) Venture Royales (83 & 89)and a 99 Venture. I want to get away from all the plastic on the bike. I love the look of the Nomad. It seems to me that the Nomad would be a very capable touring machine.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #2

New to Forum

I think you would be very happy w/ the Nomad. I have an 05 - 1600 and it's great. Welcome to the board. You can't go wrong with the Nomad!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #3

New to Forum

Welcome from Wisconsin!!!! Dan and cactusjack were right telling you to come here! You will learn everything you need to know about nomads here. These guys are awesome and just a great bunch of people. Alot of knowledge here. Make yourself at home. Oh and one more thing, newbies buy the first round of drinks!LOL!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #4

New to Forum

Quote:
I think you would be very happy w/ the Nomad. I have an 05 - 1600 and it's great. Welcome to the board. You can't go wrong with the Nomad!!!!
That is what I am looking at right now is an 05 - 1600 (Black -Silver) I heard somewhere that they are faster

Thanks for the welcome,
John

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Advanced Member

New to Forum

Welcome aboard from Indiana. I found this forum 2 weeks before I sold my Harley and bought my Nomad. These guys were a big help in making my decisions easier. There are some great deals on 07 Nomads out there if you look. Good luck with your quest, and let the spring begin!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

New to Forum

Quote:
Welcome aboard from Indiana. I found this forum 2 weeks before sold my Harley and bought my Nomad. These guys were a big help in making my decisions easier. There are some great deals on 07 Nomads out there if you look. Good luck with your quest, and let the spring begin!
May I ask, why did you sell your Harley to buy a Nomad? I live in the heart of Harley Country (Milwaukee Area) and the attitude around here is that if you don't own a Harley, you don't own a Motorcycle. I rode my Venture to the HD 100 year Anniversary Celebration in Milwaukee. I got quite a few looks

John

Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #7

New to Forum

jrd, Welcome from eastern Colorado. I got my '05 1600 after having a fantastic experience with its little brother, the 800 Classic. Couldn't be happier with the Nomad. I suppose black and silver would be okay, you got one color right. Hey, some winter you've been have'n, Dakals has been keeping us up-to-date on it.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

New to Forum

Hey JRD, I'm glad to see you found us! Welcome aboard from Phoenix, AZ!

You won't regret buying a Nomad. It is the best bike in its class, IMHO.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #9

New to Forum

Welcome JRD from N. E. Missouri. I have pulled a trailer with my 05 Nomad and to me it feels like riding 2 up without the bike being top heavy. A few things to remember when pulling a trailer are you don't have a reverse so watch where you park. Don't cut corners and watch out a gas pumps. And remember you are braking the weight of the trailer and bike with just the bike brakes. Oh, and you will be the one making the beer runs!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #10

New to Forum

Nice to meet you, jrd !!
next round is on you! lol

Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Top Contributor

New to Forum

Welcome to the forum.............hurry up and get that Nomad so you can attend one of the Rallys!!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
New to Forum

Welcome John. I faced the same delima as you on the riding. I had to give it up for 20 years while raising a family. I was surprised that my tastes in motorcycles changed as I started to look at large cruiser bikes. Saw the Green/Silver 2006 at a convention in Long Beach and that was it. Haven't regretted it one bit and I've never looked back..... the fun part of your life is about to begin!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #13

New to Forum

Welcome from TN. As has been said, you won't go wrong by picking the nomad.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #14

New to Forum

Welcome from beautiful, warm ( high today 75 ), Louisiana. I am also new here, so to speak. caddman11 is correct, there are some awesome deals on '07s right now. That's what I bought three weeks ago. These guys are a huge source of info, and are terrific at sharing it. Go get the Nomad. You'll never regret it. BTW, mine is black and silver, and they ARE faster ;).

Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #15

New to Forum

Glad to see you made it over here JRD, here's a thought that you stirred.

My previous street bike before my 99 Nomad was a Honda V65 Magna; V4 engine like your Ventures. I remember talking with a salesman at the Harley/Honda dealer in my area and him saying he would rather have a V twin than any other configuration. At the time I wondered why anyone would rather have a V twin over a V 4?

It grows on you is probably the answer. Lots of torque at low rpms starts feeling right. Last spring my dealer had an open house and I took half hour test rides on a Yamaha FJR and a few others. I liked the power and watching the rpm's sky rocket, but all in all I enjoy the relaxed low rpm's of my Nomad. Not that I don't still enjoy getting on a powerful high revving bike.

If you are already sold on the looks of the Nomad (best looking hard bags out there) you will eventually be won over by the V twin also.

BTW, a lot of us are putting Venture boxes on our Nomads. Look at audioguru's pics for an example, just in case you are already thinking you will miss having a top box.