Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #1

Break-in period

I don't know if I was using the wrong terms to search, or just missing something, but I wanted to see what the suggested break-in period is for the Nomad. I'm thinking of getting one from out of state. If I fly (or greyhound) out to the bike and ride it back, I'd probably have to do a lot of highway, which usually isn't the suggested method for breaking a bike in.

Do they have something like "for the first X miles, keep the revs low" or something like that? Last time I broke a bike in was over 10 years ago, and that was carburated. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

If I does require more of a break-in, I may have to just take the trailer up there to get the bike.

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #2

Break-in period

I bought mine 275 miles from home and rode it back. Didn't go over 60 and stopped maybe four times so it would change temp. some, seems fine to me, they did tell me to change the engine oil and rear end oil at 700 miles which I did. I have 3600 on it now and no problems.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #3

Break-in period

This is going off memory, so someone who really knows will be along to give specifics, but the thing that stands out in my mind is that you aren't supposed to do long stretches of the same rpm's.

It is supposed to vary up and down through different rpm's, so no freeway droning while breaking in.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #4

Break-in period

From the owner's manual:

The first 1000 miles that the motorcycle is ridden is designated as the break-in period. The following rules should be observed:

Recommended max speeds for each gear

From 0-500 miles

1st 20 mph
2nd 30 mph
3rd 40 mph
4th 50 mph
5th 60 mph

From 500 - 1000

1st 25 mph
2nd 40 mph
3rd 50 mph
4th 65 mph
5th 80 mph

At 600 miles the initial maintenance service should be completed by a service mechanic. I can tell you from personal experience that the first 500 miles will feel like you are barely working the engine. BUT...it is a great feeling to be able to say that you put the break-in mileage on your Nomad

Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to trevwales
Break-in period

Kawasaki handbook states: from 0 to 500 miles speed limits should be 1st 20, 2nd 50, 3rd 40, 4th 50, 5th 60 (mph). Then from 500 to 1,000 miles 1st 25, 2nd 40, 3rd 50, 4th 65, 5th 80 (mph). Usual disclaimers, let engine warm thoroughly, keep under speed limits etc. etc.. 600 miles is first service. Why they don't alter the first period to 600 instead of 500 I don't know??

Oops beaten to it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #6

Break-in period

This is like an oil or tire thread. You'll get lots of varied suggestions. Dan offered a good overall suggestion.

There are four basic don'ts. From there it varies a lot
  • Do not
  • drone along at a steady speed[/*:m:fsem1gzv]
  • lug the engine at low rpm[/*:m:fsem1gzv]
  • do excessive high RPM when engine is not thoroughly warmed up[/*:m:fsem1gzv]
  • idle for extended periods of time[/*:m:fsem1gzv]

I subscribe to this theory which is how I break in all my new engines:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

(excerpt)
On the Street:[color=red:fsem1gzv]Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.
[/color:fsem1gzv]

Be patient you're gonna get more suggestions than you can possibly comprehend. And, everyone of us will swear that it is the best. ::)

In the final analysis, you're on your own.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #7

Break-in period

We put alomst 250 miles on Liz's new Nomad yesterday. And I agree with Chuck about how to break in a new bike. Remember the first 50 miles is the most crucial getting the rings seated properly. Shift a lot to debur the gears and any other moving parts. We stopped about every 40 miles to make sure the bike had a several cool down peroids. We will make one more ride simular to this and then she will ride it like she normally does. In the mean time I am back in the garage putting more of her bling on the bike.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Break-in period

Ride it home from the dealer like you stole it....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Break-in period

My dealer told me 600 miles. Avoid prolonged riding at any given speed, shift often and vary the RPMs. You are also limited to 55 MPH max, I believe.

Oops, my bad. looks like some people drug out their owners manual. I guess my memory isn't, um, isn't, uhh...darn. I lost that thought.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #10

Break-in period

Thanks all, it looks like if I get it from one of the out of state dealers (I'm looking at two, one 350 miles away, the other 500 miles away) I'd be better of trailering the bike home. If I didn't need to save up my vacation days for the trip my wife and I are planning out west this summer (by plane, not bike :-/), then I could just meander my way home on local and state roads, but basically I'm going to have to haul butt.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #11

Break-in period

Broke in mine like I was going to ride it! No problems...

Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #12

Break-in period

I'm breaking in my second new Nomad. Also broke in a new Midnight Venturer and a VTX1300. Broke them all in like I was going to ride them. Never had a problem. I put 300 miles on my Nad Saturday. Some of them on I-75 at 85 MPH most of them on mountain roads at less than 55 MPH. Averaged 36.7 MPG. That's with a Speed-O-Healer so it's accurate.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #13

Break-in period

Don't lug it, don't overheat it, don't over rev it.Just enjoy it.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #14

Break-in period

I bought my 05 Nomad with 2900 miles on it and it used 1/2 qt oil every 500 miles. About . One of the local motorcycle shops that races sportbikes told me "get on it" in each gear but not to red line, then to downshift early letting the engine brake so there's lots of back pressure...that would help seat the rings.

With-in 150 miles my oil consumption vanished. 10,000 miles later I still use no oil.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #15

Break-in period

Last summer I was on vacation in Pa, and I went for a tour of the Harley plant in York. When they finish building a new bike, it gets tested at the end of the line. The guy staps it down on a dyno and starts it up, it idles while he checks the lights, horn switches etc. this takes less than a minute to do. Then he gets on and puts it in gear, He takes it all the way to top gear rather quickly, and holds it a 75mph for about 20 seconds. They shut it off, check for leaks and ship it out.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951