Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #1

TFI + Caddmann - Things I've Noticed

I finally had time to get a decent ride in post the TFI and Caddmann mods. The wife and I put about 145 miles on our bikes cruising around central FL. The riding was a mix of some small town stop & go, and back country highways with nothing over 65mph.

Responsiveness - moderate quickness increase in responding to the throttle, noticeable but not extreme
Acceleration - bikes seems to pull a little stronger now
Solenoid clatter - oh yeah, they become much more noticeable as compared to stock
Engine sound - there is a noticeable incease in sound with the open filter on the right side, not obnoxious, just more rumble
Cooling fan - I don't think I've heard the fan come on once since the mod
MPG - no measureable change, 37mpg before and after
Fuel - I ran a tank of mid-grade fuel, octane rated 89, (R+M)/2, and the bike was happy, no pinging at all
Pinging - none before mod or after mod

Next I try disconnecting the solenoids to see if there is any noticeable impact - other than sound.

Roadhouse Dooleys will happen after that, someday, gated to them being shipped again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

Thanks for the update Bass. Sounds like at this point you are happy with the results.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Top Contributor

+1

Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the update Bass. Sounds like at this point you are happy with the results.
Yes, I think the mods were worth while. I planned to do a Thunder Air kit but wanted to test the concept first. The Caddmann is a nice inexpensive way to test an air change. If I like it in the next step - without the solenoids - then it's time for the 7" round Thunder Air kit. I am planning to put the stock cover (aka dog bowl) back on over the 7" K&N filter. That way it will still look stock, help block any rain threat, yet breath like it should.

I like the TFI too. I give it an A+ on the fiddle & tweak factor. As I change air elements and eventually (come on already, Roadhouse) the pipes, I can adjust to my heart's content!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
I finally had time to get a decent ride in post the TFI and Caddmann mods.
Solenoid clatter - oh yeah, they become much more noticeable as compared to stock
Next I try disconnecting the solenoids to see if there is any noticeable impact - other than sound.
What is the purpose of thses solenoids? Inquiring minds want to know. -Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
[quote:7sr9ub3q]I finally had time to get a decent ride in post the TFI and Caddmann mods.
What is the purpose of thses solenoids? Inquiring minds want to know. -Rich[/quote:7sr9ub3q]

From what I've read their job is to help control idle, especially when starting the engine at cool temperatures. That fits well with my experience. I don't hear them much after the bike has warmed up, and not above an idle.

Functionally, they supply extra air to the engine via bypassing the throttle plates.

Take all this with a grain (or two) of salt - I am not a mechanic or designer of such systems. All that I know is from reading web forums and flipping through the service manual. ;)