Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #1

Can't Remove Windshield

2008 Nomad.

I was getting the Nomad ready for the winter this past weekend and could not get the windshield off. I wanted to remove it to clean behind it and possibly remove the sub shield.

I was able to remove all but the 2 upper adjustment bolts. All the bolts came loose easily except for the left and right upper adjustment bolts. Without being able to remove those I can't get to the upper bolts that attach to the triple tree.

The 2 bolts turned slightly and then would not budge. Are these fixed bolts or is it just a coincidence that the dealer cross-threaded both upper bolts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Can't Remove Windshield

I would get some thread penetrating oil and apply it to the two bolts. Let it soak, maybe even overnight. Apply some more and gently turn the bolts back and forth. Don't force them. Hopefully, the dealer didn't tighten them down so much that they galled the threads.

Good luck.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 11-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Can't Remove Windshield

I have a '06, so just a caution if the '08 is different.

Soak the bolts with penetrating oil and tap them to help the oil infiltrate.

Make sure the allen wrench fits and is well-inserted-- then lefty-loosey.

Even if cross-threaded, they should work themselves out on the path they went in on.

Perhaps using a cheater on the allen wrench for more torque might help. I can't believe that you'd be able to break those bolts before the wrench snaps.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

Can't Remove Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
I would get some thread penetrating oil and apply it to the two bolts. Let it soak, maybe even overnight. Apply some more and gently turn the bolts back and forth. Don't force them. Hopefully, the dealer didn't tighten them down so much that they galled the threads.

Good luck.
I was able to move them slightly, then they just refused to budge. All other bolts came right off. I'll put some penetrating oil on tonight and try again tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Can't Remove Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket

Good luck.
I was able to move them slightly, then they just refused to budge. All other bolts came right off. I'll put some penetrating oil on tonight and try again tomorrow.
Make sure you have a good allen wrench and get a good bite on the head, or your troubles are just beginning...

Let some penetrating oil soak overnight and give it another go. Once you get the bolts out, you might want to chase the threads with a tap to make sure they are clean.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #6

Can't Remove Windshield

I think you're right about the troubles. I do have a good set of Allens. I was able to get the top left bolt out tonight - cross-threaded at the dealer.

The other moves a quarter turn and stops dead. That's how I started stripping the head. It broke loose on the initial turn, then seized and the key slipped.

I'll try to remove the windshield from the brackets and work on getting the bolt out.

Will try to call the dealer and see what they'd be willing to do, but I already have it winterized. Of course, they're the ones who cross-threaded these!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Can't Remove Windshield

PDI techs crossed them or galled them. Work easy and you will get it out.

If not tape over the area and cut the bloomin head off, remove the screen and cut a slot towind the rest thru. You might need to run it in so far and cut it again, but one way or the other you will get it out.

Definately chase these threads, and use antiseize on the install on every last one of these ss bolts.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Can't Remove Windshield

I recently removed my windshield so I could take it apart and clean it. There were only four bolts to remove the windshield. Two on each side. I didn't mess with any other bolts. Mine came out like a breeze.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 11-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #9

Can't Remove Windshield

I was fortunate with mine also. I removed the screen last week and took it apart to clean between the upper and sub screens. I then lowered it to the lowest setting. I had it all the way up but that doesn't work very well when it gets covered with bugs and you are traveling with bright sun in your face or at night facing approaching headlights. Much better to be able to look over the top of the screen IMO.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Can't Remove Windshield

Get you a 3/8 drive allen tip bit at wally world and you can put more torque than an allen wrench plain. Seat it as deep in the allen socket as possible.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Can't Remove Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Get you a 3/8 drive allen tip bit at wally world and you can put more torque than an allen wrench plain. Seat it as deep in the allen socket as possible.
I'd go one step further and suggest you buy a quality set of 3/8" allen bits. Craftsman, Snap-on, MAC, etc. I've rounded off cheap ones before.

There are a number of metric hex socket bolts on these bikes that can be a bugger to break loose.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #12

Can't Remove Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
PDI techs crossed them or galled them. Work easy and you will get it out.

If not tape over the area and cut the bloomin head off, remove the screen and cut a slot towind the rest thru. You might need to run it in so far and cut it again, but one way or the other you will get it out.

Definately chase these threads, and use antiseize on the install on every last one of these ss bolts.
I have a screw extractor set. Would it be better to try that? Perhaps drill the hex out and use the extractor bit in that hole?

I also thought I might try to cut a slot in the buttonhead and use a big flat blade screwdriver with a wrench on it.

It only turns maybe a quarter turn. It is too close to the bracket to cut the head off.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #13

Can't Remove Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
I'd go one step further and suggest you buy a quality set of 3/8" allen bits. Craftsman, Snap-on, MAC, etc. I've rounded off cheap ones before.

There are a number of metric hex socket bolts on these bikes that can be a bugger to break loose.
I have a set of Craftsman metric Allen key wrenches and 3/8" drive Allen sockets. I prefer to use the keys first because it's too easy to use too much torque with the sockets. Tried both. The hex head is stripped.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Can't Remove Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

I have a set of Craftsman metric Allen key wrenches and 3/8" drive Allen sockets. I prefer to use the keys first because it's too easy to use too much torque with the sockets. Tried both. The hex head is stripped.
I have, on occasion, driven a Torx bit into a stripped hex socket head bolt. Something else that is useful is an impact driver. Not an air impact wrench, but an impact driver that you strike with a hammer. You can generate a decent amount of torque with one of those.

Stripped the bolt head? Oh, that's not good. With all that expensive chrome, you really have to be careful what you do. You could use a drill bit roughly the same size as the threaded diameter of the bolt, and drill the head off. Then you could separate the windshield from the mounting bracket and work on the bolt.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #15

Can't Remove Windshield

Glad you mentioned the impact driver - I do have one. And the torx idea might work too. There's enough hex shape left to grab.