Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthEast Group

Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #1

Helmet Certifications

Thought I'd move this to a different place - Jim ordered some $.20 stickers for whatever that's worth. His helmets are all DOT certified.

So - back to Tennessee..you have the State Patrol two finger test?

I wonder what the Snell certification means? And I still would like to know what if your "sticker" is gone. We have two ex-Pennsylvania troopers in my wing group and they claimed I'm be hanged in Utah for taking off the sticker.

You know, just like the Do Not Remove labels on furniture...

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #2

Helmet Certifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilucky
Thought I'd move this to a different place - Jim ordered some $.20 stickers for whatever that's worth. His helmets are all DOT certified.

So - back to Tennessee..you have the State Patrol two finger test?

I wonder what the Snell certification means? And I still would like to know what if your "sticker" is gone. We have two ex-Pennsylvania troopers in my wing group and they claimed I'm be hanged in Utah for taking off the sticker.

You know, just like the Do Not Remove labels on furniture...

Jim
Hey everyone I had this discussion with a friend, who has a TN State Patrolman as a buddy, he in turn ask him about this very subject, his answer was that in TN there isn't any guidelines in the books to determine DOT certifications, its to be determined by the officer if the helmet appears to be certified or not? What that means is its up to the officer if he thinks it appears to be legal. Kinda of a catch22 or something? His buddy who is the patrolman said that the way he determines this is by the thickness of the padding inside the helmet (or in most cases the Styrofoam), Between the outer shell and the riders head, the patrolman said that this thickness needs to be about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick, which is about the thickness of his(the patrolman's 2 fingers)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl

Jim, what he means by "non-compliant" is, the helmet he was wearing WAS NOT "DOT" certified. I'm assuming he just had on one of the $20.00 fiberglass "brain bucket" helmets.
I guess I need to ask my question this way - I have several helmets - including a Noland open face w/shield and a Noland half helmet. They both came with the DOT sticker. 'cause I don't like stickers off they came. Soooo, how does Tennessee know my Noland's are DOT compliant. I'm not interested in $200 tickets when I ride through the states.

Jim
jm, Thought I'd put this over on here for the heck of it!!!! Goose
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 08-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #3

Helmet Certifications

You're right Goose, the gray matter does need a rest! ::)

Actually the question of TN helmet certificaction bothers me. I always thought DOT approved was the final word.
I ride a lot in TN and certainly don't want a rather large fine on something like unapproved helmet.....especially when mine is DOT approved.
I rode to Copperhill and across RT64 the other day, looked for a TN trooper to ask about it.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider