Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Stock Tires Suck

So I know most of you go around 9k on your stock 'stones, but I got just over 5900 on mine. While I was in Ohio I noticed that my back tire seems bald and upon further inspection it sure was. So I had that oh $hit moment and found a local dealer not far from my parents house. They didn't have tires in stock for the Nomad and if ordered they wouldn't get them till after I was slated to leave.

So I asked if I could get a tire, would they mount it. The said they would and so got back to the folks place and hopped on the internet. I wanted an Avon tire if I wasn't going Darkside, which in this situation it really wasn't an option. So I hope on Dennis Kirk website and see that they are out of the Avons I wanted so I hopped over here and did some reading and found that after the Avon's the Dunlop Elite 3 was popular and was getting good reviews. I placed my order and got the "free" $5 shipping from DK and got the tire on Monday. I got them the bike and they had it mounted later that evening, though I couldn't pickup till the following day due to huge thunderstorms rolling through.

Needless to say I love the E3 far better than the stones. It ran really well on the 1k trip back from Ohio. I couldn't be happier with it. Thanks again KawaNOW you saved me without even knowing it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #2

Stock Tires Suck

I agree that the stockers do suck! It's kinda interesting to me that you were able to order tires and have them mailed to you quicker than the dealer could get them. Either way, you got them and were able to get back on the road in time. Glad to hear that you are happy with the E3s.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Stock Tires Suck

You outta like the E II's pretty good. The bad part is you didn't do that 7,000 swing arm service... You just might want to consider that..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Stock Tires Suck

d---homo---ney.

Just put the check in the mail care of Blowndodge..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Stock Tires Suck

According to the dealers service tech this level of wear is all to common for the stock stones sadly. I have just over 1k on the Dunlops and really like them. She flicks around much lighter on these than it did on the stones.

Mac - I do plan on doing this, but I have to get a jack first, which I don't have yet. I have the big 7500 mile service coming up and I plan to do it then. I guess I have to get Idaho to fab up a set of his fancy jack blocks for me too. It would appear that the HF stand is the one I will go with.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Stock Tires Suck

Sweet seems I can post from my Crackberry with the 4.5 OS.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Stock Tires Suck

Yeah, my stock rear tire is already bald in the middle at 8,000 miles. Gonna try and get a few more thousand out of this one, though. Front tire still looks new. Haven't locked up either, so far. Still got plenty of tread on the outside of the rear, so might have had too much air pressure in it. I ride a lot of curvy roads when I can and lean it pretty good. Probably won't buy Stones cause I think these wore out pretty quick. Jamie

Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Stock Tires Suck

Jamie that tire is no longer even safe... it was junk the day it came out of the mold. I got 7,000 out of mine and ran it till 9,000 because it was getting late in Fall. There is too much season left... Junk that tire do the swing arm service and get a new tire..

Get a one size over in Cobra since you won't run a car tire. Junk the ft tire if you can afford it and mate it with a cobra too. Bricks are stone junk dead rubber junk from the day they come from the mold.

Metz used to be good till they started making them in Brazil, and now they are as bad as bricks.

The other choice is Dunlop E III's fore and aft... Both bias.

You can run radial on back and bias on ft if you want, but not the other way around... That's asking for a problem. A radial on ft will track and the bias will slip, think ouch.

I can't begin to tell what a diservice you are doing to yourself by not considering a ct on back.

I have and love it. This season I mated it with a radial Dunlop D 251F in ft stock size and the handling is like night to day better.

Don't live on that dead brick.... Do the swing arm service.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #9

Stock Tires Suck

Jamie..I can't speak of a car tire because I've never tried it..but do yourself a huge favour..listen to part of what mac said and toss those old stones..they are frikin unsafe!!! You like curves..then get the Avon cobra radials..150/80/16..40lbs...180/70/16...42lbs...then be careful at first..because they will make this 800lbder flick like a sportbike on the curves...if you don't love them..go see a doctor...Bdog