Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #1

Hand Grips

Can someone recommend some good hand grips My fingers feel numb after a 50 mile ride I have a 99' Nomad . Did anyone else have this problem?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #2

Hand Grips

I have the same issue and the numbness usually extends into my arms.

I installed Kuryakyn grips on my 2007 Nomad, but that just lightened my wallet. The vista cruise was a much better investment that I could not do without. Now I can give each arm a rest as it becomes tingly.

Also you might want to consider risers to put the bars closer to you. I use the 2 inch Chucksters that one of our member sells. I think they keep me from reaching so far to grab the bars and were easy to install without changing any cables or hoses.

Check your handlebar position and try different settings. I have a bad habit of not sitting up straight and holding myself upright with my hand grip on the bars. That strong grasp of the bars is causing some of the problem. It helped me some to point the ends of the bars more towards the ground. I like the bars up higher but it exacerbates my gripping the bars too tight.

Lots of Nomad riders seem to enjoy cranking out 500 or more freeway miles in a day. I am not into that even if my tush and arms could handle it. The wife and I prefer sightseeeing on the farm roads and making frequent stops to enjoy item of interest.

Just my thoughts, good luck Brenpak.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Hand Grips

Have you considered a rider backrest for back support? That should put an end to your slouching.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #4

Hand Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Have you considered a rider backrest for back support? That should put an end to your slouching.
Yep, I have a grasshopper and it helps. However my wife doesnt like it in her way and therefore I tend not to use it. I should have mentioned that.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Hand Grips

If the little finger dosn't go numb too then you are squeezing the grips too hard.

Also your hands may be beat up bad like mine. I drop coffee cups, ciggerettes, tools and more all the time due to carpels tunnel, many injuries to my hands from the past, and even distant past.

I work at not holding my grips too tight, use a throttle lock on long straight roads and have a throttle rocker, where the heel of my hand holds the throttle.

A lot of the time I place my thumb over the grip alongside my fingers. My grip is pretty weak compared to the days of one hand the Hammer, the other the vise grip.. chit happens

I just wish the burning would go away.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #6

Hand Grips

A throttle lock is a great way to help with the hand issue.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #7

Hand Grips

I just want to agree with everyone. The throttle lock is a huge help.

All in one go, I installed the Kuryakn Iso grip, Vista cruise throttle lock and the throttle boss, which is what Mac was talking about but specifically mounts to the ISO grips.

That combo works wonders.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #8

Hand Grips

I will try to adjust the bars down a little first, I have a backrest also, I like the classic look of the original grips or maybe I like my nad so much I am gripping her to tight and have to think about lightnin up my grip as I ride thanks for the advise all!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #9

Hand Grips

I have a throttle rocker too. I guess I have tried about everything. They all help some, the vista cruise is the biggest help. I ride with it clamped a whole bunch of the time so I can drop one arm down and rest it.. Usually check my passengers leg while I have it down. :)

Heck, we're just getting old, mac.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #10

Hand Grips

I had a BMW LT and I used something called grip puppies, has anyone tried those?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Hand Grips

My hands are a tad over used is what most of my problem is.

My grips are stock and will be. I don't need slippery chromed things between my hands and the grip rubbers..

I wear very snug fitting gloves to assist in supporting my hands.

Most of the time my fingers rest on the ft brake lever, with the heel of my hand holding the throttle and even then they go numb. No squeezing anything at all, but that's just me.

Apes would be the end of me.. To much work under a lift did that.

I even have fingerless gloves for very hot and muggy weather, but refrain from using them most of the time. Just too silly looking for a Yankee, and at 150 pounds I can't get away with that bad boy look very well.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Hand Grips

backrest, grips and risers will all probably help. The throttle lock, which I will add soon, will help during the ride as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #13

Hand Grips

I took the "cheap" way out.....Crampbuster. I have the CB2 (wider) and have it set just right to cruise. I don't have to grip the throttle and can maintain my speed and "cover" the brake when I need to.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #14

Hand Grips

I think it takes a little tweaking of several things to find the best way to beat arm + hand + back fatigue.

The combination of risers, backrest, vista cruise and even the crampbuster did the trick for me. Don't underestimate that liitle Crampbuster ($10) it makes a difference.

I had the crampbuster on for a long time but on short hops it is just a nusience so I took it off (2 seconds) for a couple days....wow...I did not realize how much it helped because when I removed it my throttle hand started cramping in about a half hour...it never cramped with it on.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...se-Assist.aspx

Now if I could just find a $10 fix for monkey butt.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #15

Hand Grips

The Crampbuster at first seemed like it would get in the way at low speeds, but with it set right and once you get used to it, I hardly ever have to adjust it.