Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #1

Installing new tail lights & rear turn signals

I could sure use some advise here. Against the advise of some others on this forum, I purchased the large VIP trunk. Mounting the trunk on the luggage rack isn't a problem, but not being an electrician, I'm a little nervous about wiring up the new tail light and turn signals. The trunk arrived with everything I needed, except instructions. So I'm looking for some wiring guidance.

If any of you could provide this novice with some advise / instruction, this Nomad rider would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all of you who respond.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhaus
I could sure use some advise here. Against the advise of some others on this forum, I purchased the large VIP trunk. Mounting the trunk on the luggage rack isn't a problem, but not being an electrician, I'm a little nervous about wiring up the new tail light and turn signals. The trunk arrived with everything I needed, except instructions. So I'm looking for some wiring guidance.

If any of you could provide this novice with some advise / instruction, this Nomad rider would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all of you who respond.
You are going to want to tap into the taillight wiring harness. The easiest place to do this is beneath the seat. If you remove the front seat you will see an insulated bundle of wires coming through the fender. Follow it into the battery area and you will see that it ends with a connector where it plugs into the chassis main harness.

Now you have to make a choice: If you feel comfortable stripping a little insulation back on these wires and making a soldered splice, then you can do that. If not, someone here sells a jumper cable that goes between the two connectors and gives you a place to connect to.

You want to use the taillight side to make your connections for 2 reasons. (1) If you mess something up, the taillight harness is relatively easy to replace and (2), it's a LOT less expensive than the main chassis harness, like $30 vs $250.

Here is the pinout for the 6 pin connector I was speaking of:

[ o ]------------[ o ]
brake --------- ?
[ o ]------------[ o ]
tail ------------ R turn
[ x ]------------[ o ]
empty -------- L turn

(Use the empty space as an index ) You may want to check these pins with a test light to make sure yours is wired the same way.

If it were me, I would find a suitable connector to use in case you ever need to remove the tourpak. Connect the female side to the taillight harness and the male side to the wires going to the tourpak lights. Trailer connectors are a good choice, since they are fairly well insulated and weather resistant. I like the Hoppy #47995 6-pole connector set.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #3

CJ....thanks for your reply and suggestions. With your help and that from some other posts, I got it mounted and all lit up. It looks great and works like a charm.

It was primarily a process of trial and error. Once I secured a good ground, I used a circuit tester on the other lines. One at a time, they all got connected and worked beautifully.

Thanks again.