Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #121
Advanced Member

There is a lot of truth to the words below. There are a few here that don't just speak to the love and enjoyment of their non-Kawasaki product, but constantly call out the Vulcan as a sub-par machine.

I understand that your "Victory" or "Harley" may have more creature comfort than my Voyager. I also know that you paid at least $10,000 more for it than I did for my equally new 2012 Voyager.

If I buy a base model Lexus ES 350, it's going to cost me $10,000 more than a base model Toyota Camary. Do both cars do the same thing? Yes. Can I go anywhere on the Lexus that I can't go on the Toyota? No.

What it might influence me to do is stand around my Toyota driving friends and say "Hey look at me!" I own a Lexus!" At first, your friends will be complimentory of your new ride and join in by telling you how nice it is and how they would buy one too if they could afford it.

Where you would lose them is when you start telling them how much better your Lexus is than their budget brand Toyota. It wouldn't take long before they would tell you to get over yourself and possibly even a few more colorful remarks.

I got exactly what I sought out when I bought my Voyager and the Nomad before it. I bought a quality product that does exactly what I want it to do, at a price that I could afford. Might I buy a Victory or Harley one day? Quite possible. I really like both brands because I'm a motorcycle enthusiast. The brand or amount I paid doesn't define me.

I sold my FJR 1300 because, being a life-long cruiser guy I just couldn't get used to the ergonomics of the sport touring motorcycle. I threw money at it trying to turn it into what I should have bought in the first place - another cruiser. I would never think about going to my old FJR 1300 forum and call out that bike as a piece of crap or sub-par. If for no other reason, the respect for my fellow riders. Not to mention... "It's the freakin' FJR 1300 forum!" Just because the bike didn't work out for me doesn't mean it's not a quality motorcycle that's loved by thousands.

For those who feel the need to hang around the Vulcan Bagger Forum and bitch about the perceived lack of quality of the Vulcan brand, I would say, "Get over yourself". Go over to your new brand of choice's forum and do it where it will be better received.

PS - This is not at all directed towards Kris who started this thread. He merely introduced his new ride to members of the forum. I don't need to call out screen names here. The offenders know who they are and you just watch... the guilty dog(s) will bark.

"Stepping slowly away from the soapbox..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I've never been against any type of constructive criticism concerning any Kawasaki product on this forum. Members have always been allowed to speak their mind when it comes to the good and bad points for a Nomad, Vaquero or Voyager. I've kept an open stance and sometimes allowed members to speak their mind too much. Open communication has always been a good thing and will continued to be allowed on this forum.

I am happy for Netnorske. I think the Victory is a good fit for him. In fact, I have always advocated that whatever brand of bike your research leads you to... buy it and enjoy it. I started a program in the VBA years ago where past Nomad, Vaquero and Voyager owners can stay on with the VBA as an Enthusiast for life, even though they don't own a Vulcan product anymore.

I have always rejoiced with any man that buys a motorcycle and is proud of it... no matter what the brand.

My problem here is that I continually see posts from Enthusiasts that belittle the Vulcan product. The posts are designed and worded to make members think that Kawasaki doesn't care about them and that the leadership here in the VBA will treat you horribly if you say anything bad about a Vulcan.

If you've been a member here for any length of time, you'll know that that's far from the truth. It's one thing to be proud and excited about your moto purchase... no matter what brand. But, it's another thing when I keep reading posts from an Enthusiast that's designed to degrade and put down the leadership here in the VBA and Kawasaki as a whole. That's not advocating progress nor is it accomplishing anything but creating needless strife among the members. I draw the line there.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by fammdw; 02-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #122

Quote:
If you've been a member here for any length of time, you'll know that that's far from the truth. It's one thing to be proud and excited about your moto purchase... no matter what brand. But, it's another thing when I keep reading posts from an Enthusiast that's designed to degrade and put down the leadership here in the VBA and Kawasaki as a whole. That's not advocating progress nor is it accomplishing anything but creating needless strife among the members. I draw the line there.
These remarks are right on the money! And I'd like to take the liberty and offer some of mine.

For every action, there is an equal (in magnitude) and opposite (in direction) reaction. This is Newton’s law of motion that I tend to believe is applicable to social contexts such as ours as well.

Let us not forget the kind of discourse preferred by regular members when they talk about other brand of motorcycles. I therefore believe that some of the flame wars follow the Newton’s law of motion.

I no longer ride a Vulcan but am an enthusiast member and still frequent these boards for two simple reasons: 1) I have friends here and I want to keep in touch with them, 2) I have some riding experience with a 2008 Nomad and I want to help new owners with their not-so-difficult questions (difficult questions are for the top guns that don’t care enough about simple questions).

Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #123

Quote:
I have always rejoiced with any man that buys a motorcycle and is proud of it... no matter what the brand.
But don't you have to draw the line when it comes to the Can-Am Spyder!!

Sorry Greg, I couldn't help myself.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
At my age I thought it was time I deserved "higher class" play in life. I think I've earned it.
Excuse me, do have any Grey Poupon?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #125

Where did we get off of "congratulations Kris" and on to "Crap about Crap"?

I didn't buy my '06 Nomad until '07, but I didn't buy it because it was a "Cheap" or "Get by for now" model. At the time it was the best IMHO available at any price (cheaper was just a bonus). As time passes, changes happen. Some are good, others not so much. Back then Patricia and I earned about 4 times what we make now. I looked at dozens of different motorcycles and test road quite a few. Didn't care about the price and paid cash for the one I chose.

The only thing I thought was lacking on the Nomad was Power/Torque. I considered a V2K and even asked the dealer if the bags and guards of the Nomad would fit on the V2K, or if the V2K motor would work in a Nomad (No to both).

After several Mods to the 1600, I have no problem at all keeping up with my friend's stock 2011 Cross Country up to about 70 mph. Past that he walks away easily. That's where I get to say, "5 years older, smaller motor, less $$$". Another friend in Tucson recently dropped $23K on a 2013 XCT + Stage 1 +++. When he gets on the throttle it's quite impressive. . . even for $23K. H-D on the other hand still doesn't have anything that I would trade straight across for my Nomad.

I'm still happy with my '06 Nomad. If someday I choose to replace it, I will do the same as in '07. I'll compare every bike I have an interest in. Then I'll buy the one that I like the best. These days I might have to go for the financing.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #126

My Nomad has about 15,000 miles on it I put about 3,000 a year on it I am happy with it after the mods I have done and unless I pull a dumb bone head nose dive on it or some idiot on a cell phone runs over me it will probably be my last bike it fits me has enough power for me .. If anyone one wants a new bike no matter what brand that is their choosing they are the ones who spend the money not me. Kris I hope you enjoy your new bike I had sat on the new Voyager and was not comfortable on it and figured that why give up my Nomad for something I was not comfortable on and Nomad is paid for. We all have different mind sets on what we want in a bike so instead of bashing HDs or BMWs or Nomads or Victorys we need to just ride what we like and enjoy just because you move to another brand you do not have ot bash all others even the brand you just left.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #127
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
There is a lot of truth to the words below. There are a few here that don't just speak to the love and enjoyment of their non-Kawasaki product, but constantly call out the Vulcan as a sub-par machine.

I understand that your "Victory" or "Harley" may have more creature comfort than my Voyager. I also know that you paid at least $10,000 more for it than I did for my equally new 2012 Voyager.

If I buy a base model Lexus ES 350, it's going to cost me $10,000 more than a base model Toyota Camary. Do both cars do the same thing? Yes. Can I go anywhere on the Lexus that I can't go on the Toyota? No.

What it might influence me to do is stand around my Toyota driving friends and say "Hey look at me!" I own a Lexus!" At first, your friends will be complimentory of your new ride and join in by telling you how nice it is and how they would buy one too if they could afford it.

Where you would lose them is when you start telling them how much better your Lexus is than their budget brand Toyota. It wouldn't take long before they would tell you to get over yourself and possibly even a few more colorful remarks.

I got exactly what I sought out when I bought my Voyager and the Nomad before it. I bought a quality product that does exactly what I want it to do, at a price that I could afford. Might I buy a Victory or Harley one day? Quite possible. I really like both brands because I'm a motorcycle enthusiast. The brand or amount I paid doesn't define me.

I sold my FJR 1300 because, being a life-long cruiser guy I just couldn't get used to the ergonomics of the sport touring motorcycle. I threw money at it trying to turn it into what I should have bought in the first place - another cruiser. I would never think about going to my old FJR 1300 forum and call out that bike as a piece of crap or sub-par. If for no other reason, the respect for my fellow riders. Not to mention... "It's the freakin' FJR 1300 forum!" Just because the bike didn't work out for me doesn't mean it's not a quality motorcycle that's loved by thousands.

For those who feel the need to hang around the Vulcan Bagger Forum and bitch about the perceived lack of quality of the Vulcan brand, I would say, "Get over yourself". Go over to your new brand of choice's forum and do it where it will be better received.

PS - This is not at all directed towards Kris who started this thread. He merely introduced his new ride to members of the forum. I don't need to call out screen names here. The offenders know who they are and you just watch... the guilty dog(s) will bark.

"Stepping slowly away from the soapbox..."

As I slowly make my way on top of the soapbox!

Mike I'm not sure I'm taking your remarks correctly. I do believe all of us owned a Nomad at one time and have nothing but fond memories of it! Name one member that hated it from the beginning and got rid of it?

Would my Nomad continue to transport me and my girl across the country reliably? ABSOLUTELY!. But like all products they do wear out. When they do and one thinks of a replacement 6 years later there is lots to consider in the market.

We "owned" the economy version of a V-Twin tourer and it served us all well. It's Kawasaki's responsibility to keep us. We owe nothing to the Corporation. Remember when nobody would buy American Cars?? Everyone thought they were crap compared to the Japanese products. What happened? America competed. It's time Kawasaki competed for our dollar harder. Victory is. I use them just as an example.

The difference in a luxury car/motorcycle and an economy one is more than just the name. The quality of it's components is much higher as well. Not always but usually.

When was the last time Kawasaki aired it's view as to why their V-twins are better made with better economy and power compared to the competition? Never, and they never will. That is not their target market in the V-Twin arena.

As a former pro motorcycle drag racer I know high quality componentry in motors. My motorcycle uses "roller rockers". Unheard of in anything less than the most expensive engines nowadays. Bearing serviced rockers is "good enough" for the economy crowd. Gear drive verses chain drive. Gear drive is usually the domain for the most expensive engines. Closed loop injection systems should be the norm for most engines but MaKaw refused to have that on their V-Twin line up. The point is the list goes on and on.

We did pay more. But we got lot's for that additional money. Again, I loved my Nomad and I'm glad my brother bought it so I can ride with him and smile at my ol girl.

I hope I just mis-understood your angle?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Ride on.......we are all two wheelers (except the 3 wheel oddballs like Mr. Wilson)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

See Trip! This is EXACTLY the kind of crap that goes on around here!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #129
VBA Founder

Fully understood Mr. Wilson...
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #130
Advanced Member

Quote:
Saying good things about another brand of motorcycle here is bound to get you banned/hated/flogged for life!
Quote:
You better watch out. You better not cry. You better not publicly pick on my ride. Or I'll send you a meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeannn PeeeeeeeeeeeeeeMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

Everybody sing..!!!
Well I don't believe you misunderstood me at all. It's obvious from your comments that you consider the bike you ride to be far superior to the one I ride. That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. Hell... It's probably even the truth.

I just don't have a desire to listen to it over and again.

I get it.

You liked your 1600 Nomad and think the 1700 is crap.

Enough already.

In most forums people get banned for brand bashing and that's just for making derogatory comments about motorcycles outside the forum brand. It certainly shouldn't be acceptable behavior here, especially from long standing members that were prior owners.

Quote:
As I slowly make my way on top of the soapbox!

Mike I'm not sure I'm taking your remarks correctly. I do believe all of us owned a Nomad at one time and have nothing but fond memories of it! Name one member that hated it from the beginning and got rid of it?

Would my Nomad continue to transport me and my girl across the country reliably? ABSOLUTELY!. But like all products they do wear out. When they do and one thinks of a replacement 6 years later there is lots to consider in the market.

We "owned" the economy version of a V-Twin tourer and it served us all well. It's Kawasaki's responsibility to keep us. We owe nothing to the Corporation. Remember when nobody would buy American Cars?? Everyone thought they were crap compared to the Japanese products. What happened? America competed. It's time Kawasaki competed for our dollar harder. Victory is. I use them just as an example.

The difference in a luxury car/motorcycle and an economy one is more than just the name. The quality of it's components is much higher as well. Not always but usually.

When was the last time Kawasaki aired it's view as to why their V-twins are better made with better economy and power compared to the competition? Never, and they never will. That is not their target market in the V-Twin arena.

As a former pro motorcycle drag racer I know high quality componentry in motors. My motorcycle uses "roller rockers". Unheard of in anything less than the most expensive engines nowadays. Bearing serviced rockers is "good enough" for the economy crowd. Gear drive verses chain drive. Gear drive is usually the domain for the most expensive engines. Closed loop injection systems should be the norm for most engines but MaKaw refused to have that on their V-Twin line up. The point is the list goes on and on.

We did pay more. But we got lot's for that additional money. Again, I loved my Nomad and I'm glad my brother bought it so I can ride with him and smile at my ol girl.

I hope I just mis-understood your angle?
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #131

How 'bout them Twins?

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #132
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

That's not even a motorcycle. I know, cheap shot.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #133
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
How 'bout them Twins?
Oh I see... Just because you ride a Victory, you think your Twins are better than my Rockies?!

Sorry... couldn't help myself. Just kidding of course!
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #134
Top Contributor

Personally, I don't give a shit what anybody else rides. I tout the positives of my Victory only because I know there are others out there in the market for another bike and they may not know about the Vic. If someone chooses to buy another Kawasaki (or a Hardley or BMW or Hyosung), so be it. As long as they enjoy it, that's great. Most of you know that, from the time I bought my Nomad until the time I sold it, I tried to make it into something it was never meant to be. For ME, it made sense to buy a bike that already had that stuff. As a matter of fact, I was told more than once I should sell the Nomad and buy something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post

I'm only quoting you fammdw to straighten out a mathematical error. Most of us who have bought Victorys (I can't speak for the Harley crowd) didn't pay anything near $10k more than a comparable Voyager. I paid $20k OUT THE DOOR for my brand new '12 Vision. Unless you paid well under $10k for your brand new Voyager, I didn't pay "at least $10,000 more". I'd guess Brad and Kris paid between $20k and $23k for their XCTs. I still doubt you'll find a new model year Voyager for less than $13k.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #135
Advanced Member

That may be true in the case of your Vision, but the average person I know that owns a XCT paid between $23,000 to $25,000 out the door. I paid $15,600 out the door for my Voyager with ABS.

I have found from personal experience with Victory that some dealerships will deal with you on the price if you are buying outright. Throw in a trade and the negotiations end.

I am happy to hear from owners of other brands talking about what they enjoy about their new bike. I just ask that in the process, they don't bring to my attention what a piece of crap mine is. If you don't fit in that mold, then don't feel challenged or "called out" by my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Personally, I don't give a shit what anybody else rides. I tout the positives of my Victory only because I know there are others out there in the market for another bike and they may not know about the Vic. If someone chooses to buy another Kawasaki (or a Hardley or BMW or Hyosung), so be it. As long as they enjoy it, that's great. Most of you know that, from the time I bought my Nomad until the time I sold it, I tried to make it into something it was never meant to be. For ME, it made sense to buy a bike that already had that stuff. As a matter of fact, I was told more than once I should sell the Nomad and buy something else.

I'm only quoting you fammdw to straighten out a mathematical error. Most of us who have bought Victorys (I can't speak for the Harley crowd) didn't pay anything near $10k more than a comparable Voyager. I paid $20k OUT THE DOOR for my brand new '12 Vision. Unless you paid well under $10k for your brand new Voyager, I didn't pay "at least $10,000 more". I'd guess Brad and Kris paid between $20k and $23k for their XCTs. I still doubt you'll find a new model year Voyager for less than $13k.
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750