Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
First pics of the new ride as I took delivery this afternoon. I found it much easier to back into my driveway, but once I turned it off....I realized I just traded a paid for bike and am now up to my kneecaps in new bike debt.....
Right, Kris got a new bike. Looks awesome Kris.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbk View Post
I have had Harley, Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki motorcycles in over 35 years of riding. I currently ride a 2011 Voyager, why? Because I like it and it fits me (6'2"/215). I could say a lot of negatve things about the 1800 Goldwing I had because it didn't "fit" me but why do that? The only question tha really matters here is if Kris is happy with his new bike, otherwise please shut up and let people ride what they want. It starting to sound like a kindergarten school yard!
I don't see a problem w discussing our likes and dislikes of the various brands. This is a Kawasaki MC forum that has members w other brands. If I can't come here and discuss both the positives and the things that could be improved here, what's the point? I have some issues that I feel makaw could do better but I love my Nomad. At this stage in my life I can afford to ride any bike I want and I chose my 08 Nomad. If there is a little good natured ribbing I just don't see the big deal. I'm not trying to insult anyone if I say that I don't like Victory cuz of the pointy rear ends or Harley cuz most people I've met that ride them are not like the people in the VBA who ride them. If someone I've met from here takes a personal shot at me I'll respond but if someone I've never met busts my balls over bs wtf do I care
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #108

Blindsided from the Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
I don't see a problem w discussing our likes and dislikes of the various brands. This is a Kawasaki MC forum that has members w other brands. If I can't come here and discuss both the positives and the things that could be improved here, what's the point? I have some issues that I feel makaw could do better but I love my Nomad. At this stage in my life I can afford to ride any bike I want and I chose my 08 Nomad. If there is a little good natured ribbing I just don't see the big deal. I'm not trying to insult anyone if I say that I don't like Victory cuz of the pointy rear ends or Harley cuz most people I've met that ride them are not like the people in the VBA who ride them. If someone I've met from here takes a personal shot at me I'll respond but if someone I've never met busts my balls over bs wtf do I care
I agree with you about discussing the finer points and the not so fine points of different brands. I feel like some of the negative ranting is unecessary and childish. Granted this is just my opinion but it does get tiring when someone continues to "bust chops" because they don't care for a product. It just gets old afterwhile.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #109
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
I was going to keep my mouth shut and stay out of this........discussion, but I just wanted to say that I know first hand that Kawasaki does read the Kawi forums, which includes this forum. When I say "Kawasaki" I mean the local reps here in Canada. We had fantastic support from the Alberta Rep for our Canadian Rockies Rally. I'll only say that his name is "Bruce", and he took the time to ride out on his Vaquero to make sure his copious { enough for both Brad and I } number of gifts for our wind up dinner showed up and that we got what he asked for. He offered us banners and flags {which I declined, not knowing how the motel owner would take to that} But way more than that !!!... he took the time to walk around and say hello to some of the members, and listened to anything owners/members had to say about their Kawasaki bikes. Good and bad. He was interested to hear peoples likes and dislikes, and said that this what he/they need to hear. He was interested in our next National Rally that was being planned at the time. I've yet to remind him about it but wouldn't be surprised if he came out and stopped in for a visit.

BTW, IMHO ...good criticism is a lot different from calling a bike a piece of crap. {who ever said that}

The worse thing about Kris buying a Victory prod. is that he won't be the Reg. Leader of the NW Region and as closely related to the VBA Org..

Once again Kris, congrats on your choice of a new bike that works for you and Trish.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #110
VBA Founder

I've never been against any type of constructive criticism concerning any Kawasaki product on this forum. Members have always been allowed to speak their mind when it comes to the good and bad points for a Nomad, Vaquero or Voyager. I've kept an open stance and sometimes allowed members to speak their mind too much. Open communication has always been a good thing and will continued to be allowed on this forum.

I am happy for Netnorske. I think the Victory is a good fit for him. In fact, I have always advocated that whatever brand of bike your research leads you to... buy it and enjoy it. I started a program in the VBA years ago where past Nomad, Vaquero and Voyager owners can stay on with the VBA as an Enthusiast for life, even though they don't own a Vulcan product anymore.

I have always rejoiced with any man that buys a motorcycle and is proud of it... no matter what the brand.

My problem here is that I continually see posts from Enthusiasts that belittle the Vulcan product. The posts are designed and worded to make members think that Kawasaki doesn't care about them and that the leadership here in the VBA will treat you horribly if you say anything bad about a Vulcan.

If you've been a member here for any length of time, you'll know that that's far from the truth. It's one thing to be proud and excited about your moto purchase... no matter what brand. But, it's another thing when I keep reading posts from an Enthusiast that's designed to degrade and put down the leadership here in the VBA and Kawasaki as a whole. That's not advocating progress nor is it accomplishing anything but creating needless strife among the members. I draw the line there.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by trip; 02-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #111
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
My Nomad served me well! I loved it for 7 years and 42K miles. It no longer does and there wasn't a kawasaki Model like the Nomad that excited me that I could buy. I wish here was.

Ponch was correct in his opinion I believe. No bike is "crap"

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #112

someone please tell me were not changing to a victory group now

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #113
VBA Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayski271 View Post
someone please tell me were not changing to a victory group now
LOL.... BD's had a change of heart.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Last edited by trip; 02-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #114

I’m with Brad. Loved my Nomad. But then we both had 2006’s, which of course was the high point of the design! I hang around here and keep going back to my Kawasaki dealer hoping to find a Nomad that similarly meets my needs…Waiting for that Kawasaki lightening to strike again with a new Nomad that similarly stirs the soul. They did it before. I assume they can, and will do it again!

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Ride the hell out of the LT in the meantime.
I'm trying to keep both of them happy. The KawaTanker is a little under the weather right now but I'm trying to get her fixed. The LT is getting some rides in now but I haven't had either out of the garage in 3 weeks.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #116

So the way I see it; you can buy a stock Harley/Victory/BMW or buy a comparable stock Kawaskai model and have about 20% or $5,000 more in the bank. This is of course assuming no mods to either bike.

This is about what one would expect as Kawasaki's strength has been they offer a good bike for good value. It is not cutting edge but good looking, reliable. I don't see what the fuss is all about either way.

When the enthusiasts are touting their bikes just remember it comes with a price. When the Vulcans are touting their bikes just remember they are not the best bikes but may be the best value.

In my case I do not ride enough to justify getting into debt to ride a bike or spend much on it. At the end of the day many of us are looking for something that runs all day at 70-75mph and is comfortable doing it, that is why the Nomad works for me.

But if I had the time to ride more I would spend more if that makes sense? I would probably buy a sport tourer if I made a change. Lighter, faster, still comfortable, and better handling in most cases. I like taller bikes as well, reminds me of my dirt bike riding days.

Ride on.......we are all two wheelers (except the 3 wheel oddballs like Mr. Wilson)

Kris, we have already spoke privately but let me say congratulations on the new bike ! Since I have a Kawasaki and you don't, I have extra cash to buy you a drink next time we ride!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #117

I have owned several different brands of MC's over the last 30 years. My last 2 bikes have been Kawasaki's. I had a VN800 custom and now own a 2001 Nomad. I loved each bike for different reason's and at different points in my life. However, the Nomad has been the best bike thus far for the money. It's not the fastest, but it is by far the most comfortable. I will continue to ride it for years. I really enjoy this forum and it's members for their contributions. For all the negativity from some members, I'll take their comments with a grain of salt. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, granted some are bigger than others, JMO
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #118
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
LOL.... BD's had a change of heart.
Naw........... just change in rides. Like Schoeney said. I got in on the bottom floor, low price with the Nomad and it was the "shit"! Got admired how shiny and new it was. So are Toyota Corollas. At my age I thought it was time I deserved "higher class" play in life. I think I've earned it.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #119
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Naw........... just change in rides. Like Schoeney said. I got in on the bottom floor, low price with the Nomad and it was the "shit"! Got admired how shiny and new it was. So are Toyota Corollas. At my age I thought it was time I deserved "higher class" play in life. I think I've earned it.
When I got the Nomad, it was $12K versus 50% more for the competing product, so I agree, there was no better value out there.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #120
Top Contributor

I have nothing but love and precious memories regarding my '08 1600 Nomad. Great bike at a great price!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016