Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Hey you want to run it in gear on a stand you fill your boots, I will let the guy know who lost two fingers when they got amputated by the chain. It is not just the bike running you have to worry about if you have your ear close to the wheel with it rotating while trying hard to pinpoint a sound while your stethoscope, long hair, whatever gets caught up in something. I always prefer safety over lost fingers or worse.
A vaquero doesn't have a chain and I don't have long hair and the tube that I'd use on the stethoscope would keep my fingers away from moving parts. Safety is about mitigating risks as they can't be eliminated.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Check for air in the brake fluid. A little air could be preventing the brake pistons from retracting like they should, allowing a pad to drag.
I like this suggestion, it seems like when I use the rear brake I have to depress the pedal a bit too far....Going to check on this one.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #18

I thought i needed to replace the pads on my voyager because of scraping noises. When I went to replace them I discovered they were still good! Cleaned the pads and rotors with brake clean and so far so good. When I returned the pads to my dealer the parts guy knew what the deal was right away. " Just needed some brake clean huh? " Seems the metallic pads are noisy.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Check for air in the brake fluid. A little air could be preventing the brake pistons from retracting like they should, allowing a pad to drag.
The square-cut seal on the caliper pistons causes them to retract following application. Air in the hydraulics would have no effect on piston retraction.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #20

If the noise is loud enough to hear over wind, road and exhaust going down the road, jacking it up and slowly rotating the wheel should tell you where the noise is without starting the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
brake noise, brake pads, brakes, calipers, vaquero