Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Help with setting price for '99 Nomad with bad engine

Hello, VBF. I was hoping to finish my series of build threads on this bike before I told the end of the story, but my circumstances are changing and I've gotta do this out of sequence. I'm going to have to repeat a few things so if you've followed along, please bear with me. Part 2 is about halfway done and I plan on posting it eventually.

The gist of what happened was that I was initially lied to by the previous owner about the plastic oil gear (POG) being fixed under warranty. Turns out it wasn't and on top of that I now suspect the entire engine was from a scrap yard. I had no reason to suspect he was lying becuase he was the original owner, so it didn't make sense that he didn't get it fixed under warranty. The only thing I can think of is that maybe in Canada it wasn't as easy to get it fixed for some reason. Unfortunately for me, I didn't find or figure all this out until I was very deep into this project. The bike was up on a jack as pictured in previous threads (linked below), and as you know, that meant I wasn't able to pull the motor until I had the wheels back on.

With the short riding season quickly evaporating, I decided to take a gamble. I finished everything on the bike except for the POG fix. It was either that or give up on 2016 altogether becuase there just wasn't any time left to do it. I gambled on that plastic gear and lost. I had the bike out about three times after I finished it, and only two of those were what I would call actual rides. I discovered a road I had never been down before, that had been paved the year before so the surface was pristine. It was a beautiful, sunny fall day. Ideal, really. I knew something was wrong immediately and I pulled over right away. It still ran but the top end was very loud and clacky and just didn't sound right at all so I shut it off and trailered it home. It's been in storage ever since, while I made up my mind as to what to do with it. I was hoping to be able to set it aside, and fix the motor over the winter. Since then things have changed, and I probably won't have the work space to do that anymore. I was lookign forward to the challenge but it's just not gonna work out now.

I'm posting this thread to see what you guys think a fair price would be for this, or if I should part it out. I'm offering the Nomad to anyone from the forum who wants it first before I list it for sale. If someone has one of the engines that fit this laying around, or wants to fix this one, this bike will be a great deal. I've already gone through everything else almost. However, if you don't have a source on one, I can't recommend buying this unless you want it for parts. I couldn't find a motor in Canada, and everyone I talked to said these motors are rare because of the POG issue, and becuase the demographic that owns these bikes tends not to wreck them. I was able to find one on eBay but it was almost $3,000 CAD by the time I got it here. Not really worth it.

If nobody wants it, I'm going to take it apart and keep what I can reasonably store and manage and put the parts up for sale. I'll keep all the valuable stuff like the body, bags, carbs, forks, and so on that I'm able to physically store. I don't know what to do with the rest of it, so I'd appreciate if anyone knows where I can scrap it in Nova Scotia.

The Good
Body and Paint: excellent condition. There's a tiny rock chip on the tank, and a couple tiny ones on the front fender. Everything was compounded and polished by hand, even the bags. I took the handles off the bags in order to polish it properly, so the hole is already drilled for anyone else who wants to do that again.
Carburetor: rebuilt with DynoJet kit and a few new parts. Diaphragm is original but in good condition.
Exhaust: Vance and Hines in great condition. The rear header issue has be taken care of. I had it welded as can be seen in previous threads and Part 2 of the build will cover this in more detail. The baffles were rusted into place, and I was able to get them out (in an interesting way), paint them, and rewrap them. The heat shields were falling off so I wrapped the headers in black wrap. This won't be to everyone's taste, but it was painstakingly done, and I think it looks great, personally. It could be undone in seconds and the heat shields put back on if you fix the clamps.
Front forks: fully rebuilt with all new parts, new oil, and Progressive Suspension progressive springs. Steering stem bearings replaced.
Electrical: there were several broken solder joints in the fuse box, that I had professionally repaired. I rewrapped the wiring harness with 3M Super 33+. In doing so I found a spot where the harness was rubbing on the frame and had started to rub through one of the wires. Relocated ignition to left side cover.
Seat: I got a used seat that was in perfect condition to replace the one that came on it.
Controls: new clutch cable (open side, close side is not available anymore)
Lights: replaced Kawi light bar with a stock turn signals one from eBay
Extras: comes with all the stock setup I took off to make it solo: windshield, lowers, seat, etc. See picture of when I first got it. I've also got a bunch of leftover OEM parts I bought but didn't use yet.

The Bad
Engine: oil pump failed while riding and the engine ran for about a minute or two before I was able to shut it off.
Front Brakes: I could never get them to bleed properly. I got another caliper off of eBay and it did the same thing. It seems like air is getting past the threads on the bleed nipple, but I'm not sure. It makes no sense to me that both calipers would do this but I wasn't able to solve this one. I don't consider the brakes to be functional because of this. Rear caliper was rebuilt and works great, though.
Tires: over 10 years old, not usuable, must be replaced.

So that's it I guess. I bought this bike after my accident in 2015, worked on it all year and was able to ride it about three times. The Nomad is a fantastic bike, but this particular one I bought was a lemon and I was too green to be able to see it until it was too late. You really only learn when you struggle against something that's a bit out of your reach, so I'd say I learned quite a bit about buying and working on bikes. I'm looking to go back to something smaller that I can still take on longer trips. Right now I think that will be a Dyna Wide Glide, but I haven't sat on one in person. If anyone has an older one for sale please let me know. Not many of them seem to be for sale in my budget around here.
Thanks for everything, VBF.

Previous threads about this Nomad:
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44152
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44133
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=45245
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0001.jpg (98.8 KB, 19 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads