Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #16

I'm on the other end of Ken my bike runs better and smoother with 93 octane and timing all through the map ..I bumped my timing to 5* today in 0% throttle and I had not one single pop and this was constantly trying to get it to pop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I am so friggin happy right now. I searched and searched on the interweb for a solution on tuning out the decel pop at 2100 rpm and it was in front of me the whole time on the Power Commander site. I have an excellent map that was shared by Element 80 when he still had his Vaquero, which coincidentally has the same exact setup as mine. The bike loves his tune. Thank God RacnRay talked me into getting the PCV with Ignition.
Basically the map had a value of 10 (which = 10% fuel over stock) in the 0% throttle position, from 1750 rpm through redline. I rode yesterday and was still getting some pops at 2100 rpm as usual. Worse when the bike gets hot and pulls timing to avoid any pinging. I read everywhere on the internet but found no real solutions.

SO I looked at the Power Commander frequently asked questions. There it tells you that you can try adding 3 to 5 degrees of ignition advance to help with decel pop. I added 4 degrees in the 0% throttle position from 1750 rpm through redline. The decel pop was gone. It is about 92 degrees out today and I ran in stop and go traffic to let the bike heat up a bit. No matter what, I could not make it pop on decel. I heard a muffled poof sound once when I let 4th decel down below 1750 rpm but other than that I heard nothing. I left all of the other Ignition cells in the table at zero, which is the stock ignition curve. I am super stoked. hopefully I will have the scratch to get RacnRay to do a custom tune during Xmas.
Ken, save your maps for to as well it will be a little while before I have the coin to shell of for another bike mod. I just ordered the Tom Tom rider 5 GPS unit.
when that jolly ol fella comes around in Dec I ll ping ya message

Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Sure thing skullbagger. I have them stored on my laptop. I have about 4 maps. So far Element 80s map has been best for me.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #19

Just installed my EJK a couple weeks ago and have the annoying decel pop too. Looks like I'll be going with the PCV soon!

Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian_ View Post
Just installed my EJK a couple weeks ago and have the annoying decel pop too. Looks like I'll be going with the PCV soon!
What is your setup Brian. I have alot of experience with the EJK and can maybe get you in the ballpark to at least reduce pop at 2100 rpm. Believe me I tried everything.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #21

Popping on decel between 1800-2200 rpm only when bike is warmed up. Never pops when engine is cold.

Vance & Hines Duals
Chuckster BAK

EJK settings:
Green-3
Yellow-2.5
Red-1
GB-6
YB-3
RB-4
Elevation-7

Old 07-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Quote:
Popping on decel between 1800-2200 rpm only when bike is warmed up. Never pops when engine is cold.

Vance & Hines Duals
Chuckster BAK

EJK settings:
Green-3
Yellow-2.5
Red-1
GB-6
YB-3
RB-4
Elevation-7
Your settings are pretty much what I had but backed off the green fuel to 2 and g/b 5.5.

The pop at 2100 when the bike is hot is programmed in the ECU of the bike. When she is hot the ECU retards timing and when the injectors kick back on at about 2000 rpm 0% throttle, not all the fuel is burned, then spit into the hot exhaust causing the pops. I tried everything with the EJK. Dobeck even let me reflash the EJK with a decel mode to no avail. I finally threw in the towel and got the PCV. My popping is 99.999% gone. An odd pipe burp every once in a blue moon, but none of the popping that I had. And I only had to add 4% over stock fuel in the zero throttle position to rid the pop. So no effect whatsoever on my MPGs nor does the bike smell like a fuel dump when I park.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 07-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #23

Thanks Ken, been following your threads for a while now and usually pretty good when it comes to these things but can only do so much with the limited adjustments of the EJK.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks Ken, been following your threads for a while now and usually pretty good when it comes to these things but can only do so much with the limited adjustments of the EJK.
It sucks because I really liked the simplicty of the EJK. But it is definitely limited in its adjustability.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 07-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I am so friggin happy right now. I searched and searched on the interweb for a solution on tuning out the decel pop at 2100 rpm and it was in front of me the whole time on the Power Commander site. I have an excellent map that was shared by Element 80 when he still had his Vaquero, which coincidentally has the same exact setup as mine. The bike loves his tune. Thank God RacnRay talked me into getting the PCV with Ignition.
Basically the map had a value of 10 (which = 10% fuel over stock) in the 0% throttle position, from 1750 rpm through redline. I rode yesterday and was still getting some pops at 2100 rpm as usual. Worse when the bike gets hot and pulls timing to avoid any pinging. I read everywhere on the internet but found no real solutions.

SO I looked at the Power Commander frequently asked questions. There it tells you that you can try adding 3 to 5 degrees of ignition advance to help with decel pop. I added 4 degrees in the 0% throttle position from 1750 rpm through redline. The decel pop was gone. It is about 92 degrees out today and I ran in stop and go traffic to let the bike heat up a bit. No matter what, I could not make it pop on decel. I heard a muffled poof sound once when I let 4th decel down below 1750 rpm but other than that I heard nothing. I left all of the other Ignition cells in the table at zero, which is the stock ignition curve. I am super stoked. hopefully I will have the scratch to get RacnRay to do a custom tune during Xmas.
Hey Ken. I've been following your tale of woe with the EJK and am glad that you finally got rid of the popping. I guess you "pushed back the frontiers of science" a bit and we appreciate the valuable research and info you passed on during all this...

I just got back from a week long trip and am about ready to put the stocks back on. Backfiring not matter what I did and with the FP's it's very loud . So first thing I did was order the PCV today. I know my bike has a different exhaust but maybe the map you reference in this thread would be a good starting point. On their web site I only saw ones with stock intakes. Have not seen any one talking about the Chuckster BAK and FP combo on here either but I'll ask the question directly in a new thread.

If you don't mind, I'll pm you my email. The Element 80 maps will maybe get me in the right zip code anyway.

Thanks,

Old 07-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
Hey Ken. I've been following your tale of woe with the EJK and am glad that you finally got rid of the popping. I guess you "pushed back the frontiers of science" a bit and we appreciate the valuable research and info you passed on during all this...

I just got back from a week long trip and am about ready to put the stocks back on. Backfiring not matter what I did and with the FP's it's very loud . So first thing I did was order the PCV today. I know my bike has a different exhaust but maybe the map you reference in this thread would be a good starting point. On their web site I only saw ones with stock intakes. Have not seen any one talking about the Chuckster BAK and FP combo on here either but I'll ask the question directly in a new thread.

If you don't mind, I'll pm you my email. The Element 80 maps will maybe get me in the right zip code anyway.

Thanks,
Actually one of the maps I have is from a guy that had true duals like you. I will send you a few Pete. To get true duals properly tuned though, you have to have each jug mapped individually. But I can get you in the ballpark for sure,

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 07-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #27

Thanks a bunch, Ken.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #28

Great info ken. I'll be pulling the trigger on a pcv. I want to have a good performing bike that doesn't have a farting issue. Pm sent for your maps please.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #29

Ejk

Ken, i just got a 2011 vaquero and have installed V&H slip on and an EJK but have the stock air box and filter. (will it be to fat with the stock airfilter) what setting do u recommend? also whats this PAIR valve hose that u guys block off.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardguy View Post
Ken, i just got a 2011 vaquero and have installed V&H slip on and an EJK but have the stock air box and filter. (will it be to fat with the stock airfilter) what setting do u recommend? also whats this PAIR valve hose that u guys block off.

Thanks
The hose is located on the back side of the right side air box at about the 11 oclock position. plug that hose up and it will help to reduce popping on decel.

RACNRAY