Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I wish I wasn't so lazy to do the mod. Ray has suggested it to me several times. I hate electrical work.
ditto on that, man

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl1952 View Post
Any chance you guys that have done this can post a picture or two as to wear you are putting the switch. I have an 09 Voyager and was looking today for some place to mount one and haven't come up with a spot I would like to put it. Thanks Al
Pictures of the whole process would be nice for me.

Plan on changing out the coolant too. Any recommendations as to what my be a better replacement for a bike that spends a lot of time in warm/hot weather?
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #18

I use engine ice, is it better who knows, I feel most brand name anti freeze solutions are about equal, using EI as it is listed as not toxic.

If you haven't flushed the system plan on doing now with a vinegar solution, do it 5 or 6 times. You will get black flakes/pieces when you rinse it, believe they are from piece that was coated. It's a pain but get as much of that stuff out as possible, I used a bottle brush in the lower pipe (where you drain coolant on the voyager) , seemed to collect there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.JPG (48.1 KB, 24 views)

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 10-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #19
Advanced Member

On refiling the coolant, do they recommend also using treatments on the final fill? Seems I recall on the 750 Vulcan, the also said to put bars stop leak in as well. My understanding was it also contained lubricant for the system. I also see bars also has a cooling system treatment.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
I use engine ice, is it better who knows, I feel most brand name anti freeze solutions are about equal, using EI as it is listed as not toxic.

If you haven't flushed the system plan on doing now with a vinegar solution, do it 5 or 6 times. You will get black flakes/pieces when you rinse it, believe they are from piece that was coated. It's a pain but get as much of that stuff out as possible, I used a bottle brush in the lower pipe (where you drain coolant on the voyager) , seemed to collect there.
That is a kick ass idea for a spot for the switch. I never thought of using the left side dogbowl. Mine is there as decoration since I have the Chucksters BAK. Looks like I will be heading to the marine store soon.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post

Non-toxic means that you have to drink a certain amount for a 50% chance that it will kill you. It is one of the most misunderstood, and dangerous labeling items there is. The MSDS is crap, but it does say the following:
---
13.1. Waste treatment methods
Waste treatment methods : Do not dispose in household garbage.
Sewage disposal recommendations : Do not dispose of waste into sewer.
Waste disposal recommendations : Dispose in a safe manner in accordance with local/national regulations.
Ecology - waste materials : Avoid release to the environment.
---
Note the verbiage: do not dispose into sewer and avoid release to the environment.

I love how they say it's biodegradable, but you aren't supposed to release to the environment or to the sewer.

In my experience as an R&D chemist in the chemical mfg industry, when products make a big deal out of being "non-toxic" and "biodegradable, but have these kinds of disposal wording and also hide their main ingredients behind "proprietary mixture" on the MSDS, they are usually selling snake oil.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #22

The 2nd part of the response to Hillhouse's post;

I would never use vinegar or any other acid to flush a radiator. The flakes that you are washing out is mostly from corrosion caused by an even weaker acid, oxalic acid from ethylene glycol breakdown or malonic acid for propylene glycol.

Commercial cooling system flushes that I know of are all alkaline. I have never see one that is acidic or even based on a neutral pH chemistry.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #23

The pieces that come out range from specs to 1/2 in long pieces (look like pealing paint strips). I believe they are from some part that was coated and now breaking down. Whatever they are I would rather not have them floating around in the cooling system.
As for to use or not use vinegar, many of us have used this method for years with no issues. I have not seen any post saying it should not be used. And as with any cleaner you need to be sure and flush the system with clean water a few times.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 10-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #24

My dad had a radiator shop. We never let acid anywhere near a radiator. We cleaned radiators in an alkaline hot vat before repairing them.

Radiators are made with aluminum as are other parts of the cooling system. From a chemistry standpoint, acid cleans down to and leaves bare aluminum. The aluminum is then even more susceptible to further corrosion. Cleaning with alkaline chemicals can still clean down to bare aluminum, but if it does it then creates a protective oxide layer. This oxide layer protects against corrosion when the coolant breaks down.

I have seen pieces just like you described come out of many vehicles. Alkaline radiator flushes will get that stuff out.

Just my 2 cents.