Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #91
Advanced Member

A rookie umpire, eh?

I've been riding bikes for 31 years. I'm far from a rookie. Every bike I have bought has been an improvement of sorts over the previous bike I owned. What I have not done is down trodden the owners of the bikes that I traded up from.

Perhaps in your mind, you are enlightening us with your speak of a superior motorcycle. It does not come across that way. I personally like the Victory brand as well as Harley Davidson. There is a better than even money chance I might own one down the road, however a Goldwing is more likely.

When and if I do move on from the Kawasaki brand, at best I'll post a picture of my new ride here and wish everyone well. I may continue personal relationships with friends I've made here, but I will never speak of the perceived superiority of my new bike to these loyalist. It's just plain common freakin' decency.

You guys feel that you bring something to the table, but in my opinion you are stealing from it. You turn nearly every thread you participate in into a "look at me and my superior motorcycle pissing party". I'm not really sure what motivates it. Maybe it's because on the forums with owners of your current bikes, it's no fun to thump your chest because everybody has one.

Who knows...

You are wrong when you say this type of behavior goes on in other forums. Sure there is some light hearted ripping, but you guys take it to a whole new level. "You get what you pay for." What an arrogant pompous ass thing to say. You don't see this kind of traffic on other Vulcan branded forums. It is unique to this one.

I get heckled and called Frances from the peanut gallery, but I think more VBA "OWNERS" should speak up and say "enough already".
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by fammdw; 04-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #92
Mega-Contributor

Of course you wouldn't talk about a Vulcan on an FJR forum, they aren't even the same class of motorcycle. Sport touring vs touring/bagger. I think it's less of a stretch to discuss Victory and Harley here because they are the same class of motorcycle as the Vulcan line.

Having said that, I have kept my personal thoughts with regard to brand out of this discussion because this is Greg's public buying process, not mine.

I would also say this is no reason to not attend a rally. I won't be handing out Harley literature in Estes Park, although you will get see some of my t-shirt collection . I'm not going to Estes to sell Harleys, I'm just going to hang out with my friends.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 04-29-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #93
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I don't think I ever bashed Kawasaki. It didn't happen to be the bike "for me". It's a good bike for what it is but it's NOT a fully loaded touring bike which is what I wanted. Once schoeney had his short list, I tried to convince him to buy what I feel is the best bike out there (for now, at least). Any other Victory comments I make are purely in jest. Besides, this is the Off Topic section. We could start 50 topics a day on other brands of bikes. If Jared wants me to leave because I talk about another brand, all he has to do is say so.
I do concede that this is the Off Topic section and the place for such talk. My issue is that it resides in multiple threads throughout the forum. I responded in the manner I did because it is frustrating to listen to it over and over again.

I saw this thread in the new topics section on my mobile and did not realize it was started in the "Off Topic" section.

For making an issue of it in this particular section, you have my apologies. I do not however, apologize for my distaste for it in all the other threads it exists in.
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #94
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Of course you wouldn't talk about a Vulcan on an FJR forum, they aren't even the same class of motorcycle. Sport touring vs touring/bagger. I think it's less of a stretch to discuss Victory and Harley here because they are the same class of motorcycle as the Vulcan line.

Having said that, I have kept my personal thoughts with regard to brand out of this discussion because this is Greg's public buying process, not mine.

I would also say this is no reason to not attend a rally. I won't be handing out Harley literature in Estes Park, although you will get see some of my t-shirt collection . I'm not going to Estes to sell Harleys, I'm just going to hang out with my friends.
...and I would not lump you in with some of the members I'm speaking about. Most of material you contribute has been helpful and insightful. My best friend owns a Street Glide and loves it. I think it's a great bike as well. A good portion of the shit that burns my ass come from the born again Victory owners. Perhaps I was overstepping by including the Harley and BMW enthusiasts in my rant
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Last edited by fammdw; 04-29-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #95
Top Contributor

I tend to agree with Chili...most of what has gone on here in the off-topic section has been good-natured ribbing between members who have met face to face, rode together, drank together, laughed together...then rode some more together.

I have personally been to as many or more KawaNow/VBA rallies than most every other member here, and had a great part in the planning of them as well. At every one there has always been members riding other brands, but their inclusion was never questioned or concerning. We all just had a good time riding, laughing and being merry. If that is not something you can "trust yourself to do", then I suggest you should probably avoid putting yourself in such a situation.

I'm pretty sure most " other members" here can see through or read between the lines of most of this stuff. You seem incapable and the fact that your very manhood is threatened by it seems to me to be a bit childish as well. That said, you have every right to voice your opinion in any way you see fit. It is also possible that many other members don't "speak up about it" ...because it causes them much less heartburn than it apparently does you. Life is too short to worry so much about such insignificant ramblings. I suggest you put your helmet on and go for a ride...at the end of the day, that's what it is all about anyways.
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #96
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
I tend to agree with Chili...most of what has gone on here in the off-topic section has been good-natured ribbing between members who have met face to face, rode together, drank together, laughed together...then rode some more together.

I have personally been to as many or more KawaNow/VBA rallies than most every other member here, and had a great part in the planning of them as well. At every one there has always been members riding other brands, but their inclusion was never questioned or concerning. We all just had a good time riding, laughing and being merry. If that is not something you can "trust yourself to do", then I suggest you should probably avoid putting yourself in such a situation.

I'm pretty sure most " other members" here can see through or read between the lines of most of this stuff. You seem incapable and the fact that your very manhood is threatened by it seems to me to be a bit childish as well. That said, you have every right to voice your opinion in any way you see fit. It is also possible that many other members don't "speak up about it" ...because it causes them much less heartburn than it apparently does you. Life is too short to worry so much about such insignificant ramblings. I suggest you put your helmet on and go for a ride...at the end of the day, that's what it is all about anyways.
Well one thing is for sure... You don't know me or a damn thing about my manhood. I have spent my life defending your right to go about yours as you see fit.

All that I ask is that those that see fit to bring to my attention that my Voyager is less of a bike than your Victory shut the Hell up about it in the Vulcan Bagger forum.
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #97

Step aside "old-guard"... apparently you are no longer welcome here. You need to be tossed aside like a piece of trash -- without consideration of what you may have contributed to KawaNOW's success through the years (the VBA's original name for those that have just arrived).

Apparently some newer members do not care the members "in question" were some of the founding members of this site, and that if it were not for them (to an arguably large extent) "he" might not have had the VBA to log onto.

Look... to some degree Fammdw has a bit of a point though -- seriously guys.

I see what he states when I read the threads. I can see where they sometimes can be perceived as being a bit arrogant, and "bashing".

However, Fammdw, I happen to know these people personally. I HAVE met these people in person several times... and do NOT take their comments as they are perceived by you and maybe others.

If Jared wants to kick-off all of these founding members (some of which have been here since day-one), then so be it. It will take a while to re-fill some of the empty shoes if that happens, but things will move on with or without any single member, group of members, or leadership. That's just the way it goes in life.

Lastly, Fammdw... your comment about not attending Estes because you are afraid of getting drunk and losing control of yourself by kicking some people's ass... Well then, it is probably best you are not going. No one at these rallies gets drunk and kicks other people's asses.

Physical threats on this site have never been tolerated so far. Hopefully they never will be.

Having said that... you should attend the national and get to know some of these people you are upset with. I, personally, think you will find they are NOT as you perceived them to be. In fact, I can promise they are NOT as you perceived them.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #98
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
I hear you and we can agree that we have different tastes in motorcycles. It has nothing to do w "coin". Money is irrelevant to me w this issue. Maybe age is a factor and can understand the desire for more comforts or more room but none of that is really the point. I just don't see how REPEATED statements by you or anybody else here like ENTRY LEVEL or YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR or constantly talking of other bikes being much better than Vulcan baggers can be helpful to the VBA. The dynamic here is different from other forums and better in my opinion in that major contributors ride other bikes now but have made lifetime friendships and like it here so much that you guys rightfully stay. But for the VBA to be that for others and new members it needs to be a positive place. I just want you and others to consider that it's not just your friends and old hands here that are reading and that some new guys that are reading and deciding whether they should take a chance and drive 1200 miles to hang out w people they've never met. I took that chance and am glad I did but I'm not sure I would have made the same choice if I just found this forum recently. I'm not meaning any insult. I honestly hope guys take this in the positive way I mean it and just think about it.
sorry if you took that the wrong way. I'm coming from a price break point of view that Jim (Ponch) pointed out. The touring segment appears not to be Kawasaki's flag ship product. They don't spend the R&D on it and that's a shame. Again I LOVED my Nomad and anyone that's seen it including Trip knows that I took care of it like someone with OCD.. Over time it just lacked the "things" I was waiting for MaKaw to do. Please don't think that Nomads, Vaqueros or Voyagers hare "lesser than" bikes to me! I just wanted more steak on my plate.. I almost bought a GoldWing. So you know what I was looking for in a touring bike. Either you get it and wish me well or not. May your Kawasakis ALWAYS provide you the pleasure mine did.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #99
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
manban you are being too kind here. I personally have heard this rhetoric until I am completely sick of it. In 2009 I bought a FJR1300 after many years of riding cruisers. I thought it was the next evolution of riding for me. Well I couldn't get used to it and ended up selling it a year and a half later. I would not even consider going to that forum and talk about how much better my VV is than their FJR.

If that type of behavior occurred over on that forum, the person doing it would be banned from the FJR1300 forum. There are a handful of "enthusiast" members on this forum that are responsible for 90% of the brand bashing that goes on here. Trip pointed it out and challenged the behavior right before he stepped down. Maybe it's time for our new leader to step in and deal with it once and for all.

The comments I've seen are either out of ignorance or arrogance. With all the talk of price and the ability to afford it, I would lean towards the arrogance angle. I get it... You moved on from a Kawasaki product and really love your new bike. Now move on from this forum. Go to the Victory, Harley and BMW forum and sing the praises until your fingers seize up. Then go by some voice recognition software and rant some more.

If I choose to buy a Camry at half the price of a Lexus GS 350 because I don't give a crap about the leather seats, navigation and other luxury add-ons, I shouldn't have to constantly listen to shit from a Lexus owner about how much better his car is. I would certainly hope you like it. You paid twice as much for it! This is the VULCAN BAGGER ASSOCIATION.

No... The strange dynamic in this forum is that the Vulcan owners of this thread sit back and continue to eat this bowl of crap cereal without much more than a whimper. You are not an "enthusiast" if you take pleasure in bashing the current Kawasaki product(s).

I apologize for hi-jacking the thread of the gentleman shopping for a new bike. I hope you do find the bike that works best for you. It's just when I came across the thread I saw more of the same from the same.

Now I will sit back and wait for the "enthusiast" flame that's heading my way. I'll also get an inbox full of PMs from Vulcan owners that support my comments in private, but never speak out to challenge these bullies for talking shit about their motorcycle.

manban9888 makes a great point. I seriously considered heading up to Estes Park for the rally, but decided against it because I don't trust myself with a belly full of beer around people that speak negatively about my choice of motorcycle. No doubt most of the "enthusiasts" will be there to show off the merits of their new and improved ride. I get enough of that in this forum. I certainly don't want to road trip in to experience it in person.
Mike that is a shame to hear. I would like to meet all of you. Ask anyone that's met me at the Rallys over the years and I doubt you find a negative view. Seriously... I'm going to Estes Park and any and all of you are welcome at my well of booze, parking spot and cigars.. It's all about the ride not the bike. Sorry if you feel different..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #100
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Step aside "old-guard"... apparently you are no longer welcome here. You need to be tossed aside like a piece of trash -- without consideration of what you may have contributed to KawaNOW's success through the years (the VBA's original name for those that have just arrived).

Apparently some newer members do not care the members "in question" were some of the founding members of this site, and that if it were not for them (to an arguably large extent) "he" might not have had the VBA to log onto.

I see what he states when I read the threads. I can see where they sometimes can be perceived as being a bit arrogant, and "bashing".

However, Fammdw, I happen to know these people personally. I HAVE met these people in person several times... and do NOT take their comments as they are perceived by you and maybe others.

If Jared wants to kick-off all of these founding members (some of which have been here since day-one), then so be it. It will take a while to re-fill some of the empty shoes if that happens, but things will move on with or without any single member, group of members, or leadership. That's just the way it goes in life.

Lastly, Fammdw... your comment about not attending Estes because you are afraid of getting drunk and losing control of yourself by kicking some people's ass... Well then, it is probably best you are not going. No one at these rallies gets drunk and kicks other people's asses.

Physical threats on this site have never been tolerated so far. Hopefully they never will be.

Having said that... you should attend the national and get to know some of these people you are upset with. I, personally, think you will find they are NOT as you perceived them to be. In fact, I can promise they are NOT as you perceived them.
Glwilson:

I respect your words and your intention. I would never go anywhere with the intention of starting a fight or any other trouble. Granted, I don't know any of these people personally and quite possibly would have a different opinion of them if I did.

It's not all of them, but rather a few that make statements that I take exception to. With those particular individuals, I find it hard to believe that meeting them would change my opinion of them. If you are an arrogant ass in this forum, then you are most likely an arrogant ass in person. Some people get a kick out of those type of personalities. I don't and steer clear of them.

In an effort to keep from calling the names of a few, I have insulted several that have never participated in the brand bashing that takes place here. To those non-Kawasaki owners that do not participate in this type of behavior, you have my apologies if I offended you.

The ones that do know who they are and squawk at the top of their lungs when confronted.
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #101
Sr. Contributor

I'm in love with my 12 year old Nomad, it is mostly stock, I think it's the last of it's kind. When I
bought it, I had enough money to buy whatever I wanted, really. I chose the Nomad and have never
been lacking. It does for me, what I want a motorcycle to do to for me.

I'm happy that everyone is riding and loving their rides, whatever they be. I've said it wrong before,
and I'll try not to offend those people again, BUT, you are coming on too strong with your happiness
for the bike that does for you, what mine does for me.

I don't think it's a "you get what you pay for" message you should be saying. We all expect different
things from the products we buy. If you're happy, I'm happy for you. Just don't make me feel like I now
own a piece of junk that is out dated, because there is something out there that suits your particular needs.

Mine is more bike then I need, and I have a feeling that there are more who feel this way as well.

As far as chasing away members who have contributed so much to the boards and the many members
who have had problems. I don't feel that is right, these members have gone over and above to
help as many as they could and they still do it. I believe that those who have been over zealous
should just tone it down. You do not know how your words read, PEACE.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #102
Top Contributor

For sure someone reading the comments who does not personally know the person making them can certainly have a different perception...even a thick-headed Viking like me can understand where Mike is coming from. I think he let his frustration boil over a bit...but I hold no grudge over such small differences of opinion.

I would agree that this is the perfect reason to attend the rallies...so you can meet the people who post here. To a person they are different in real life than their online persona. All are fun to be around when the rubber meets the road.

I apologize if my comments regarding bikes or persons have ever offended anyone. Anyone who knows me knows that is not how I roll. Am I happy with my new ride? Very much so. Do I think poorly of the Vulcan brand...??....absolutely not. We all ride what we have to ride for the reasons we have to ride them.

Now...can we get back to the business at hand, which is schoeney's search for his new ride...??
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #103
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Mike that is a shame to hear. I would like to meet all of you. Ask anyone that's met me at the Rallys over the years and I doubt you find a negative view. Seriously... I'm going to Estes Park and any and all of you are welcome at my well of booze, parking spot and cigars.. It's all about the ride not the bike. Sorry if you feel different..
Blowndodge:

I appreciate your candor, but you should really go back and look at some of the posts you have made in this forum. You probably do not intend for them to insult Kawasaki owners like myself, but they do.

I would love to meet you and draw off your knowledge of the bike I love and to drink all of your beer. I would just ask that when you make comments about the imperfections of the brand in the brand's forum, you understand that they are not well received by owners that love that imperfect bike.
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Last edited by fammdw; 04-29-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #104
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post

I was a little troubled by that too Greg. When I drink I get happier not braver. When you, Dave and Scott all got Ultra's we gave you a rash of shit but you took it in stride. You guys never cried "Uncle".. I'm glad us friends can "jazz" each other.

Member # 0005

Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #105

I am very happy with my Nomad and I am also very happy with this forum. Though I've never met them, I feel like I've known the older members like BD, Ponch, Cactus Jack, Top Cat, andNetnorske forever.

Even though some of these guys moved on to other brands, they still hang around and share a lot of good information with us about how to solve problems we might encounter with our bikes. These guys have been there, done that when it comes to a lot of the things we come up with. I hope they never go away.

It does not matter what people say about a particular brand or model, they're just machines. Ride what you like and if you can't stand what is said on the forum, stay away from it.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Closed Thread