Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Cruise Control

I am looking for an inexpensive (under $100) cruise control, throttle lock for my nomad. I am not sure I like the look of the black vista cruise. Anyone know of any other product out there that looks good on the bike? Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Cruise Control

There are several. I have the Vista Cruise, I like it and was inexpensive (I'm cheap) and works very well. Stands up fine.

But there are others on the scene now.

Here is one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...ht_1227wt_1167

Another is the Brake-a-way brand I think you can find them on J&P Cycle website or in there catalogue, but pricey

There are likely a lot of others, these seem to be the most common ones (vista cruise, brakeaway and the link above)

Good luck in your search

Scott

Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Cruise Control

The break away throttle lock is really nice, but for the price of them you could almost get an electronic cruise control.
Audiovox has a new style unit available and Rosta is a copy of the older style Audiovox unit.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Cruise Control

Here is one I have never seen before.

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun2wheels

It's worth noting this one is designed to work with the OEM rubber grips. It won't work with most aftermarket grips.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun2wheels

It's worth noting this one is designed to work with the OEM rubber grips. It won't work with most aftermarket grips.
Good point CJ, also most of the pics and write up is for sport bikes too. I don't think most of the aftermarket grips I've seen for the Vulcans would work with it either. most of the sport bike grips are all rubber.

The best one (other then the vista cruise) I've seen is the one I posted the link to, very simple and easy install too, but again limited if you don't have that metal ring for it to ride on. That is the reason the Vista Cruise for example is so popular as it fits so many brands/models of throttles.

Scott

Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #7

Cruise Control

I have the "Flip-A-Lever", very similar to the one in the ebay link above. Mine is one of the original Shindler Flip-A-Levers. Had it for about 6 years now, and cost is still about the same. It's a great little item, and is barely noticeable on the bike. I do also have the Audiovox electronic cruise control, and use both of them for different situations. For a throttle lock, the Vista cruise and Flip-A-Lever are probably the most cost effective. both have some bad points, and good points. The Vista you can use it with the right hand/thumb, Works well with stock grips, but leaves a little to be desired in the "looks" category. The Flip-A-Lever looks good, only works with grips that have a chrome end band toward the switch housing (like the Kury type grips). To engage it, I use my left hand to flip the lever into the lock position, and to disengage it, I use my right thumb. I really like the Flip-A-Lever, and am happy with it. Just some more things to consider.......

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #8

Cruise Control

I have the vista cruise on my Argo and it works pretty good, on my bike I use a piece of rubber tubing, (I thinks its a windshield washer hose) I taped a piece about 5-6" long on the end of my throttle cable and wedge the the other end between my Kury grip and the rh control pod. I use it mainly for letting the bike idle when its cold outside while Im getting ready. When I don't need it ,I tuck it under the throttle and electric cables and you would never know its there. And I find it works as good as any throttle lock and it didn't cost a penny, with about a one minute installation time working slow. ;)

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #9

Cruise Control

I wish the vista looked better on the bike. Why don't the design on in a chrome/ stainless finish? ???

I like the looks of the flip-a-lever, is it worth 2x the price of the vista?

The washer hose is a great idea, and the price is right...

Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullman
I wish the vista looked better on the bike. Why don't the design on in a chrome/ stainless finish? ???

The Flip-A-Lever is great. I used one before I installed a real cruise control. I still have the FAL installed for when I need to bump the idle up.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullman

The Flip-A-Lever is great. I used one before I installed a real cruise control. I still have the FAL installed for when I need to bump the idle up.
Geeze!! and I wouldn't use one again for a cruise, ever. Maybe it was the way I had it set up, but I think it was. I went for a hwy. ride and set the cruise.... down the road I had to take it off "cruise" but the small needle like end refused to come out of the plastic inner grip. I had to twist hard to get the speed down. Scared me to death. I still have one to use in the same way as you use yours though, Scott. But I love the Audio Vox. ;)

I hear there is a new model of Audio Vox, according to the posts.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Cruise Control

Later when I have done the other mods/accessories I want this spring I may look into an actual cruise control, but for the most part, I don't use the one in my car or truck now much even on the road, so not as big a deal. I do use the Vista Cruise as I said to lock on for a few miles only just for a break for my right wrist. Other then that it doesn't even get a lot of use, but easy to thumb it on and off when I do which is why I like that setup for me.

I do agree they don't look the nicest, but in terms of practicality, they fit the bill

Scott

Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #13

Cruise Control

I like the Universal Vista Cruise because, once it is locked "on", you can still twist the throttle up or down to adjust speed. Yes, it doesn't always keep a real steady speed, so minor adjustment is usually required, but I find it simply and user friendly.