Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #1

Went down today

I did, the bike didn't. This is good, if I can tell it well --

It was a typical Sunday ride with my wife, Vicki, on the back. Headed north up past Fort Collins before turning into the mountains. Wanted to check out a couple camping areas for later in the summer. Being close to lunch time and starting to get out into the boondocks, the little general store/gas station/Mom&Pop restaurant/deli at a turn off from north bound US287 was a good candidate for a stop, and the only thing around.

Had stopped there a few times before and knew it was going to involve dealing with a disorganized free-for-all unpaved parking lot. Not sure what "un-paved" is in many other parts of the country, but here it is rough with thin sand and gravel and small rocks, but usually dry and manageable. There were a couple other bikes already parked there when we pull in. Picked the same general area as, but good distance from, a new Harley, at least it had a temporary tag.

Had our lunch and struck up some pleasant conversation with the new-to-him ('03 Dyna Glide) Harley owner, which continued as we went back to the bikes and prepared to leave. Chatted a little more, he really like the idea of water cooled engines and thought the Nomad bags were great. I said a couple positive things to him and said our goodbyes. Choose not to suggest that he should have bought a Nomad.

Now, Vicki is still sort of on the mend from knee replacement surgery a few months ago and has decided she prefers to get on the bike before me while it is on the kickstand, and with me holding onto the bike for her piece of mind, she then backs into the seat and throws her right leg over in front of her. Then I do the lift-the-right-leg thing, like a dog on a fire hydrant (thanks for that visual Dan L), and pop it over the seat and get on.

Well, that little maneuver requires that you (or at least it will if you don't think it through) start out with your left foot pointed towards the bike and then with your right leg at its highest point over the seat and while trying to avoid scuffing the tank, you need to twist your body to get you facing forward and complete the ridiculously simple little endeavor.

Well, when I did that twist with all my weight on my left foot, a couple rocks and some sand under my boot shifted, my ankle buckled with that causing my left knee to sympathetically release the pain as it is suppose to and down I went backward sprawling on to my back in the parking lot.

Did I mention there were several people watching because we were parked in front of the outdoor seating for the deli? I laid there a couple seconds doing inventory and then began to realize how clumsy/ridiculous/stupid/humorous/idiotic/dopey it must have looked to the others and started laughing so hard I could hardly stop. Wasn't sure how many others had noticed but felt like everyone in the world was looking at me. Vicki was first concerned, then embarrassed to be with me, and then joined in the laughter.

My new Harley-owner-friend came over to see if all was okay and then joined in the fun too. He couldn't wait to tell me that little goof wasn't so bad because the day he picked up his new bike, he stalled it in the dealer's parking lot and dumped it right there in front of everyone. Bonded! (not really, I have my limits, but was nice of him)

With all okay, (yes, had my helmet on and may have actually tapped the back of it when I went down) we went off to reconnoiter the camp sites as planned and had an otherwise ordinary ride day. Only damage was a bump on my left kneecap that did not make much sense considering what happened unless I banged it into the bike (no mark on the bike) when I went down but was already feeling like way too much of a dope at that point to have noticed it.

Still working on what is the best way for Vic to get on and off the bike, she can get her leg up over the back rest but is a little unstable in doing that so that can be problematic. I think got the me-mounting-second method down pretty good now - be sure to check footing...

Geez, this is probably my longest post ever but wanted to share with those that can get thought it.

Ride (and mount) safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Went down today

Ells,

Glad you and the bike are ok. Everyone has their moment. I know I have had my share. Better practice more on the mounting techniques (more riding). Take care and hope to see you in a couple of weeks.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #3

Went down today

Dang Ells! When I first read the title my heart skipped a beat.
Then as I read the post...well...::snicker:: ....I couldn't help but laugh at the visual image. :)
Glad you're okay bro. Thanks for sharing!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 06-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Went down today

Hey Ells, it is good to be able to come through something as embarrasing as that and laugh it off. Way to go. After church we always try to go out to a restaurant for brunch. Today I parked the Nomad in the side lot in full view of everyone in the dinner. Luckily there were not many. When I stepped off the bike it was awkward for some reason, off balance I think, looked rather ungainly. Had to do a rather cumbersome double hop to keep from falling on my banana. When I got into the restaurant the folks who witnessed the clumsy dismount made a comment about how nice the bike looks and I commented that I almost fell on my face getting off of it. Of course they all broke out in smiles and said that they had noticed. We had a good laugh and it was done.

Glad you are okay.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Went down today

Glad all is well Ells!!! So far my "issues" aren't getting on...but off the Nomad after a long ride. Knees just don't seem to want to work...so I understand the awkardness of it all!! LOL!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #6

Went down today

Thanks for the chuckle Ells, Glad your OK. I was laughing with you not at you because you said you were laughing while on your back Hell I'm still laughing thinking about it. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #7

Went down today

As I think back now, it may have looked even more outrageous than I thought at the time, because, I doubt if anyone noticed my ankle twist and causing it - was just standing there, lifted one leg about as high as I could, while holding the left grip and went down for no apparent reason, might have looked like I had been shot. In any event, knee is still a little sore so won't be intentionally repeating it for anyone's benefit anytime soon.

Sorry AGR/others, didn't mean to cause too much initial concern on your end, but suppose was calling for some extra attention, sure was the highlight of my day/week.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Went down today

Big positive thought...you went down, wife didn't. Last time something like that happened to me (stepped in a pothole at a stop sign). I went over and took my wife with me. :-[

Kept the bike mostly up though...

Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #9

Went down today

You know what they say...there are two types of bikers...

those that have fallen down and those that have yet to fall down!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #10

Went down today

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
You know what they say...there are two types of bikers...

those that have fallen down and those that have yet to fall down!

+1

Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #11

Went down today

Thanks for the chuckle - glad didn't twist ankle or something.

This bike group (ladies) I belong to has once a year a mini -timed run. Not for speed usually average 35 mph....they give you a map and checkpoints and you have to consider red lights, traffic etc....supposed to reach each checkpoint at a specific time..too soon or too late knocks points off (start with 100 pts). Well, my turn to go....sitting on the Nomad at the start line-bike in 1st gear, right foot on floorboard......person standing there with stop watch and will tell you 'go'. She said 'go' I immediately killed the bike...had to restart it and then take off.....could hear folks at the start line saying 'aaaahhh'. :-[

Then I miss counted.....there are 5 checkpoints....when I went through the 4th...you have a number on your bike as you pull up to the checkpoint they hit the stopwatch when you front tire hits the line and you put your left foot down. Anyway I thought that was the 5th (last check point) so I started gettin on the throttle (we usually do these startomg out in town then go out to the countryside then return to town) so I'm bobbing down the road when I see the 5th check point and all the folks waving at me like whoa.... I have to get on the brakes hard to even stop for the checkpoint....darn it! .........as you can guess I didn't come in 1st,2nd,or 3rd that day! :-/
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Went down today

This comes under "Just close your eyes, click your heels 3 times, and you will be home.."

If I was there with out knowing, you would be getting a major HUH?

Pretty funny

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #13

Went down today

I've started getting on my bike with the kickstand down and stepping on to the left floorboard. Gets me up high enough that I can easily get my right leg over my backrest. One of the Gold Wing guys at the Eastern rally showed me this when I tried sitting on his GW.

Of course this would not work with my wife on the back. She always waits until I am on the bike.

I am not sure if there is anything detrimental about doing it this way other than I would not do it with the bike running, your left heal could come down on the shifter and pop the bike in gear.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Went down today

glad your safe ells, thx for the laughs. Good boots are a must!