Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

"POSSE REPORT" Day Four - Ride Home

Final Day, Early rise for all our gang, fair wells to all our new found friends. Kickstands up at 7am and alls ready to ride. :-/
Howard was elected to lead the ride home, I rode drag. We left Elkins with a fog hanging over us and the sun trying to burn its way through . (a good sign) :) We headed North on Rt 219n as we left town and headed into the mountains the air was cool and the fog was light. Howard was running at a nice steady pace keeping us all together in a compact group, which was good as we all had a good visual on each other through the light fog. After passing through the dense Pine Forested Mountains of WV
we started to see more sunlight and temps started to rise as we were entering the Lake country of Western Md. We made our first turn onto Rt 135n and shortly thereafter made our 1st stop
for fuel & lunch. At our fuel stop the station owner called ahead to the Restaurant to make sure they were open, a nice gesture as we were in a very Rural part of Western Md. We all had a nice meal, mostly we ate a late bkfst. We reminisced about the fun we all had over the past 3 days and had a few more laughs Joe & Howard provided some fun as they chided one another. Joe & I worked together for many yrs. in the Steel Mills, and Howard is a retired Police Officer so were used to the cracking on one another. And of course Beezer fit right in. Mike is the quiet one in our group, but very sociable and easy going. Gus is a good guy also, more outgoing and had no trouble jumping into our fray of wisecracking and jokes. This group all rode very well, both as a group and as individuals. As our time together was nearing its journey's end we said most of our fair wells after lunch, before beginning our final leg home. We continued on Rt 135ne several more mi. going through a small mining town before turning onto Rt 36n for a short ride before turning onto Rt 68e Howard was maintaining a nice pace, but Beezer getting bored jumped into the lead and upped the pace to uh-oh levels. By now we were into full Sunshine and summer temps so we pulled over and stripped down to more comfortable attire. We fired Beezer as lead before we all got arrested. Howard again took lead as Joe chided him relentlessly for missing a turn. (They had radio communication with each other) We continued East on Rt 68e until we were to switch to Rt 70e Howard missed the turnoff with Beezer folling him. Joe, Mike and myself pulled over Gus kept going as he was nearing his breakaway point. Joe being in radio contact with Howard told him we would be waiting for he & Beez to turn around. Joe continued to beet on Howard for the flub, so Howard shut off his radio. After they returned to join up Joe fired Howard & took the lead, shortly thereafter Mike waved good by as broke off to finish his ride home. Just a few mi. later we turned North onto Rt 81n which would in a short time bring us into Pa. With Joe in the lead maintaining a brisk but nice pace the Nomads were purring like kittens running past Gettysburg, and Shippensburg I knew it wouldn't be long now before we would be home. :-*
We were in Carlisle before very long and Joe & Howard waved as they broke off for the Pa. Turnpike & their final leg home.
Now it was just the Beez and me. Beezer took the lead, and immediately put the hammer down. ::) We were off, blitzing past Harrisburg & crossing the Susquehanna at lightspeed. In no time we reached the split onto Rt 78e The Beez smelled Berks County just ahead as we rolled on, needing fuel and rapidly approaching Berks County Pa. ment only one thing, "ICE CREAM" .;D
After refueling and downing our Dairy Specials we were again off.
I broke off at Rt 61s waving to Beezer as I rolled off, noticing that big happy smile he always has.
It was a wonderfully,enjoyable and fun filled 4 days for me, where I got to meet some nice people and new friends. I got to see the skills of several of my friends improve greatly over several days.
I had the privilege of leading several rides with a group I would ride with anytime, anywhere.
You Guy's are all good riders & could ride with anybody! ;)
Thank You All, for 4 great days of Fun, Camaraderie, Laughter,
and the rides we all enjoyed so much. ;)
The Ole Dawg's Reflections Total Miles for me= 1136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I thought you were supposed to make motorcycles go fast on the highway. I made it from Rt 61 to my garage in 45 minutes. I was in the left lane with that 100 W headlight and people were moving over. What a run that was past Allentown and Bethlehem at about 85. I was in the groove and the Nomad was performing flawlessly. It appears to ride even smoother between 80 and 85.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #3

Enjoyed all ya'lls 'posse' stories. Thanks for sharing.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #4

;) Nancy, your welcome. We enjoyed your company.
I like that new pic. of you and that cool dude ya ride with!
( Bagman)LOL
Those Falls were really nice. More water flowing over them than the last time we were down.