Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #1

Front-end wobble low speeds - RESOLVED

Just got back from an eight-hour round trip. My Nomad just all of a sudden started to have a fairly annoying/serious(?) wobble as I slow-down for a stop sign. (Does not happen at speeds above 30 mph -- no vibration then)

Happens at slower speeds and when decelerating and only when little or no pressure is on the handle-bars.

It happens whether still in-gear or neutral.

I removed both hands (for a short second or two) and the wobbling began to escalate until I grabbed the bars again. I tried this several times through-out the trip and it kept happening.

I did pull over to see if there was anything obvious; however did not see anything that stood-out. Fork seems to be tight; shocks and "bolts" to all seem fine. No strange wear on the tire.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? (The bike has not been wrecked; laid-down; or hit any large pot-hole)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Just got back from an eight-hour round trip. My Nomad just all of a sudden started to have a fairly annoying/serious(?) wobble as I slow-down for a stop sign. (Does not happen at speeds above 30 mph -- no vibration then)

Happens at slower speeds and when decelerating and only when little or no pressure is on the handle-bars.

I removed both hands (for a short second or two) and the wobbling began to escalate until I grabbed the bars again. I tried this several times through-out the trip and it kept happening.

I did pull over to see if there was anything obvious; however did not see anything that stood-out. Fork seems to be tight; shocks and "bolts" to all seem fine. No strange wear on the tire.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? (The bike has not been wrecked; laid-down; or hit any large pot-hole)

Pretty much normal. They're known for it. Was your way last week. Didn't get to Copper Harbor, but got to Gay for a pic and lunch at the Gay Bar.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Is it possible you lost a wheel weight?

Old 09-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Front tire under inflated? Low pressure causes this too.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderstood
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson

Pretty much normal. They're known for it. Was your way last week. Didn't get to Copper Harbor, but got to Gay for a pic and lunch at the Gay Bar.
...It takes a real man to admit that, Dave.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #6

That's not a good thing that any bike would be "known" for such an issue. I have just never noticed it like that ever before and I am almost sure this is a "new" issue.

I will double-ck the tire pressure; and ck for a lost a wheel weight.

Other than that; if anyone has any more ideas please let me know. I don't want to go to the mechanic without some ideas.

Thanks!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #7

:)I have pretty much the same kind of wobble. Had the front end checked and all tight. Put more air in tires 38 front and 40 - 42 in rear, still the same. It seems a lot of nomads wobble. It concerns me but I don't have an answer. :'(

Old 09-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderstood
[quote author=glwilson board=nomad thread=6521 post=116095 time=1220815205]

Was your way last week. Didn't get to Copper Harbor, but got to Gay for a pic and lunch at the Gay Bar.
Misunderstood; I don't live in Michigan but rather Northern Illinois. The pics I took were from my trip up to the Upper Peninsula of MI to Copper Harbor. If you made it all the way to Gay, MI I am surprised you didn't go a bit further to Copper Harbor. We stopped at the "Gay Bar" there also and took pics; just like every other biker/tourist that goes to that area. (How was the singing deer while you were there?) I recognize the waterfall in your pic though.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Advanced Member

I have an 07 with 2500 miles and mine has done this since the beginning. I'm was use to being able let go of the handle bars on my HD and it would run smooth and straight while slowing down, but the Nomad wobbles when you let go and get worst as it slows down. I would love to find a remedy to this problem, and I do look at it as a problem.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

Hey GL,

The wife and I just bought a house in Roscoe in July. I'm still working in Denver CO until I can find a job in the area. We'll have to hook up when I get moved there.

I've seen two items that have helped some people on the front end wobble on the Delphi forum. Easiest is a new front tire if you're still on the original 'Stone. My wobble has gotten worse and the tire is due to be replaced. Maybe the first of next month. I'll let you know if it helps in my case. One guy reported that his bike shop found that the rear swing arm pivot rod had worn a lot. Replacing it and thus tightening up the rear end helped his front end wobble.

BR,

Leo

Old 09-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

There are not many reasons that the front end wobbles.

Unbalanced front wheel. Warped front end disc,
under-inflated front tire.
Bent wheel
loose stearing head bearings.

loose swing arm bushing.

These are the most "probable" causes

I can take my hands off mine and come to a stop with no wobble so it's not normal to have a front end shake.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #12

cupping of the front tire

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #13

Thanks guys.

I ck'd the front-disk -- it is fine.
Doesn't appear any "weights" fell off.
The tire is inflated properly.
The rim isn't bent (at least no visual appearance of such -- never "hit" anything to do that either).
The steering-head bearings don't appear to be loose.
The tire does not appear to have any cupping; but will wait for better light to make sure -- it might possibly have some.
Don't know about the swing-arm bushing -- will likely have to have that ck'd; as I wouldn't know how to determine that.

The bike; while an '04; only has 11,000 miles on it. (bought it last year with just less than 1,000 miles on it.) I wouldn't think any "bushings" would be worn-out by now -- but I am not one to know these things.

I will post what the eventual outcome is. Hopefully I will know by this week.

I was glad to hear that Blowndodge's bike doesn't have any wobble as I just can't believe that would be acceptable performance for any vehicle; let alone a motorcycle.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #14

PS: Welcome to KawaNOW mtn1600.

Be sure to ck-in on the North Central Region site to join-in what is going on there. (Your new region once you move to Roscoe, IL. By the way... what did you do wrong to have to move to Illinois from Colorado? Ha!!)

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #15

I occasionally feel a small tug left or right when coming to a stop, but wouldn't call it a wobble.

Welcome mtn1600, I'm glad to have bumped into you the past weekend, hope to see more of you here.