Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #1

Engine Heat: Nomad vs Harley

It has been a while since I have made a post. I still have my 2003 nomad don't really care if I sell it or not. A few may remember I bought a 2009 Ultra Classic. I like the ultra except for the engine heat. I could ride the nomad no matter how hot the day was and not woory about the engine heat much. The ultra is another matter. As of now I have not ridden it on a day that the temt was above 70. When you get into traffic it will cook your right leg. I mean to the point of pain. The harley ridders say that is nomal for a Harley. I don"t know if I can live with it. I like to enjoy all of my ride not just when I am on the open road. At least on the Nad I could do that.
Thought I would share this for those of you that have thought of the ultra. A friend of mine has a 2010
nad and it does not come close to the heat of the ultra.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

I've never noticed the heat.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Gosh, I hate to see a fellow member suffer. I'd be happy to take that leg-roasting Ultra away from you.

Last spring I rode an Electra Glide Classic at Cyclefest in Scottsdale. This was a test ride bike that had been ridden all day. It had just returned from about a 30 minute test ride and was well warmed up. I got on it and took it for another 30 minute spin. The heat didn't seem uncomfortable to me. Maybe an hour earlier I had ridden a Voyager (also known for heat) and neither bike seemed bad to me. Maybe I'd have had to stay on them longer for heat to become a factor? I dunno.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

A friend/co-worker that I rode with down here just sold his '08 EG Classic. He didn't sell it because of heat but he has told me that in warmer weather stop and go traffic he has had to pull over for a cooldown.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #5

Trust me on this I have had it at a local shop and they say nothing is wrong it just a harley. The heat is there and is bad rode the nad yesterday felt good not to have the heat. As far as someone taking it off my hands it may have to go this summer if I don't find a way to get it down or get used to it. If I don't like the heat the wife is realy going to hate it. They say the passenger gets more than the driver. She has not ridden it with me yet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

I don't think anyone would ever say an Ultra runs as cool as a Nomad; mine certainly didn't -- especially when new.

I changed out the breather and had the engine re-mapped to accommodate more air. Then used nothing but the best "syns". Combined, this reduced the heat tremendously.

Also, on your '09 you have the rear-cylinder shut-off feature. Be sure you have set this up so that in stop and go it kicks-in. It makes a huge difference. (Remember, you need to turn this feature on -- otherwise it won't work.)

For me, the Ultra still runs hotter than the Nomad; but is not unbearable as you say -- to which I would suggest something isn't right with your bike.

You should be able to ride the Ultra comfortably when the temps are 70 degrees. I'm not uncomfortable on the Ultra until we see 90 degree days -- and even then the Nomad could get uncomfortable also.

There are other mods others have done to cool their bikes down even further; but I didn't feel it was necessary to do any more than I mentioned here -- and that advice was given, in part, by members here on KawaNOW. It worked for me.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Ive heard of some guys complaining about the heat, there is a sheild available to help with this, as well what Greg mentioned. Any Ultra I have been on was warmer than the Nomad but not unbearable for me. I don't know how hot it gets where you are but when its near the 100 degree mark even the Nomad is getting quite warm in city stop and go traffic.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Ive heard of some guys complaining about the heat, there is a sheild available to help with this, as well what Greg mentioned. Any Ultra I have been on was warmer than the Nomad but not unbearable for me. I don't know how hot it gets where you are but when its near the 100 degree mark even the Nomad is getting quite warm in city stop and go traffic.
Steve, the shield you are referring to is included on '09's and since. They also re-routed the exhaust under the bike rather than under the seat as it was before the '09's. He should have both of these changes on his '09.

Again, if his bike is getting that hot in 70 degree weather... something isn't right from my experience, and knowing others on HD's' -- unless he isn't using "syns"; a new breather and remapping.

BD and some others recommended this for me, and it worked just fine for my problem.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #9

I have the SE exhuast already on the bike plan on putting the breather on and remap sometime this next month. If that does not bring it down I may have to sell it. Maybe I am just getting old and like being as comfortable as I can get.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog
I have the SE exhuast already on the bike plan on putting the breather on and remap sometime this next month. If that does not bring it down I may have to sell it. Maybe I am just getting old and like being as comfortable as I can get.
If you aren't already... be sure to use synthetic fluids rather than dino-oils.... it does make a difference between the two.

Good luck. ;)

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #11

I have 2 friends that have the 09 ultra and both of them have had their bikes back in the shop because of the heat and the dealer told them that was normal, one of the guys has the screamin eagle air system runs syn oil and has added an after market oil cooler and it still runs very hot.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #12

I think an air cooled engine is hotter than a liquid cooled one. However, from what I've learned at my local dealer, HD has re-routed the rear cylinder exhaust under the bike to move heat from the rider, as well as added some heat shields that help deflect some of the heat down. The rear cylinder cut out at a stop is also supposed to help.

Last Fall I test rode a Yamaha (Star) Roadliner. It is also air cooled. While it came across as comfortable and VERY powerful, it also threw off a ton of heat, and it wasn't a hot day out, either. The Nomad puts off some heat, but not like the Roadliner However, were it to have been cooler and have a larger gas tank, I might have been seriously tempted by it.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #13

I have test ridden several 96 ci HDs including the Road Glide Ultra, Road Glide Custom, Street Glide and other big twins. Needless to say they were all almost new and stock. These bikes were being test ridden all day long so I think I would have noticed the heat during my 30 mins or so tests.

I would take the Ultra to another shop and get a second opinion.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #14

I used to have a sportster and having the oil tank under the right leg always was a problem. If you weren't on the open road, it would roast the meat off the thigh

Old 02-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Glad I have my Nomad. I never have a problem with getting too hot.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181