Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Explaining a Nomad clutch

In use Bud Silers locks too, but change them. Last time i saw him at a Eastern, he didn't recognize his own bloomin work. I think Jim Chambers is the retailer now for Siler.

I hope I am mistaken but think Bud passed over to the Happy Hunting ground. A great deal of my friends have at this point. One i am sure that has , which you may well have known is Chuck Lenard the sort of God father to Trade Silver.

Bikes is all I had that kept me in the 20th and into the 21st century. Other wize when the door knocker clacks you will find me right in the middle of the 18th.

More or less when I make a spring it is for right now in camp at a shoot, and somebody broke his. A little steel, a hot fire, a axe in the stump, and some file work happens. Another fire as hot, a dip in some oil, another heating and a test.

Hell if they did it back then thar's no damnned reason we can't do it now, other getting a decent hunk of steel that is.

.................................................. ..............

Traveling tech seems like a great idea, but then your still stuck getting the right parts before you know you need any. I looked at the idea. I was into the idea of a RV type traler that has a garage built in, and has living quarters too. No engines, so you need a truck to move it.

But then I lived in garages before and pretty soon you and everything you have stinks like shop. Over the years there are stinks I just don't do well, and shop stink is one of them.

I can't stand the stink of diesel, hate the feel of brake fluid, but I still don't mind smelling like wood smoke, which we did living in a tee pee 3 full years.

Rolling shops are either limited or very heavy.

Currency exchange is something i don't understand. It seems to be pointless trying to tell me.
In Montreal at a battle on the Govt building lawn there, I mean right on their lawn, where I was worried the artillery would drop windows on us all, we retreated to camp on the Ilse of St Helens.

Over there a women had a HB blanket and i happen to collect stripped blankets made of wool.

It was used, and still is used right on my bed this instant, with others, but she wanted $30 cdn for it, and I gave her $30 usd for it. I walked off in the morning very happy, but before I knew what was up she was in my camp with coffees for us, and change, lots of change, and I felt bad. She was into whats the right changes and I could have cared a less, I got what I wanted, and to me $30 usd was a steal.

Also on th bed right now is a hidious pea soup green with bright orange stripped blanket. A real horse blanket for a king size bed. Its ugly as sin, but I love how rough and warm it is.

Wish I knew who made that. I guess you might call it a 8 point blanket.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Get one of those toy haulers, you know, with the sleeping quarters and work area with a lift on the back? The thing is, to drive business when you are on the road. May be hook up with the AMA and/or ABATE? It could be a business and a fun one. Thing is, it's a big country...Where to start? If anyone could do it, Mac could.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

It could be done, but the over head would be pretty stiff. You would need a customer base willing to put up with yer chit, of 3 days or so too.

That customer base would be based on limited services and 1/3rd of 365 +/- travel time.

Certain high end tuners can and do make enough to afford this life style, but it is work, lots of work, and customers that do this would have to buy something more than just gaskets and parts.

I used to deal in boats too, and knew some tuners that lived and worked off their own boats full time. All they did was tune engines, and work on fuel systems they wanted too.

How I knew was on occasion one would blow a spark plug out of the threads and take the treads with the plug. That's where i fit in.

I have my old bone jarred between (2) 454 boat engines more than I wanted as well. You got some rich red necks at the wheel and the other on the throttle, and me in the bilge getting a beating and burned, tryin ta' turn a screw. Not much fun, but it sounds exciting.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

With fuel injection, tuning is a lot easier today. You'd use a laptop. :) Like I said, get hooked with some national organizations like AMA, ABATE, some of the touring associations and you'd get some business, especially on the higher end stuff, but come one, come all. Sounds like a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
It could be done, but the over head would be pretty stiff. You would need a customer base willing to put up with yer chit, of 3 days or so too.

That customer base would be based on limited services and 1/3rd of 365 +/- travel time.

Certain high end tuners can and do make enough to afford this life style, but it is work, lots of work, and customers that do this would have to buy something more than just gaskets and parts.

I used to deal in boats too, and knew some tuners that lived and worked off their own boats full time. All they did was tune engines, and work on fuel systems they wanted too.

How I knew was on occasion one would blow a spark plug out of the threads and take the treads with the plug. That's where i fit in.

I have my old bone jarred between (2) 454 boat engines more than I wanted as well. You got some rich red necks at the wheel and the other on the throttle, and me in the bilge getting a beating and burned, tryin ta' turn a screw. Not much fun, but it sounds exciting.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

I'll wait till each computer has satilite and then tune them from right heya'. No dirt under my nails, no burns, no battered knuckes i could like .......that!

That would almost be like stealin.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Don't need satellite, just cellular technology. Verzizon has 3G most places.

Quote:
I'll wait till each computer has satilite and then tune them from right heya'. No dirt under my nails, no burns, no battered knuckes i could like .......that!

That would almost be like stealin.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Well it's the same point but me and telephones is a no win situation. If I don't see lips move I have no idea what's bein said.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

I can't read lips, but I can still hear a bit. May be we should team up. At least we could hear and see what was being said. ;)

Quote:
Well it's the same point but me and telephones is a no win situation. If I don't see lips move I have no idea what's bein said.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

I wouldn't say I read lips, but with then and hearing what I do I can tell about 3 words in 10.

That's all I need to totally mess up a good conversation.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #40

LOL! CC, fat chance on the fuel and the bike is runnin just fine but we have a spare room and the roads here are great. ;)

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #41
Advanced Member

Oh come on skeeter, cough up the dough. I'm sure we could find something to fix on that Nomad and if nothing is broken, we can always do some mods. LOL

We have the toy hauler and it is outfitted for working on the Nomads and the quads. 3 years ago we got to the Oregon coast and I had my front tire go flat, so after finding a place with tires, we jacked Ruby up, tied her off, removed both wheels, and took them to have the new tire installed.

Recently I had the quad roll down a hill, break a couple of parts and we were 7 miles back in the mountains off the beaten trail. What to do? What to do? Brian went back to the trailer, jacked up his quad, took off the parts that were broken on mine, our son took the good parts back to my quad, installed them, and rode my quad out of the mountains.

Fully equipped trailer works great for emergencies and would work great for service work also. We have a 14 foot garage and 14 feet + the goose neck for living quarters. It's smaller than the big, huge toy haulers but is just right for us. It weighs half what the big monsters toy haulers weigh and is a lot easier to maneuver. And besides, the colour was almost a perfect match for the Duramax without painting.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Well see there, if any one could do it it's CC and her Hubby

CC how do you keep auto stink out of yer stuff?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #43
Advanced Member

We have a door between the garage and the living quarters and it seals pretty good. If the garage gets smelly, we go out the back door, into the front through the front door, and leave the door in between closed. We put the Nomads in the garage one time and when they vented, a bit of gas ran out of the overflow. We had no gas smell in the living quarters but the garage reaked so we know how well the in between door seals.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Nice truck. I like the duramax. Actually I like most diesels, but the allison/duramax combo is hard to beat. I just wished they weren't so expensive. I think the diesel option nowadays tacks on 8-10K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
We have a door between the garage and the living quarters and it seals pretty good. If the garage gets smelly, we go out the back door, into the front through the front door, and leave the door in between closed. We put the Nomads in the garage one time and when they vented, a bit of gas ran out of the overflow. We had no gas smell in the living quarters but the garage reaked so we know how well the in between door seals.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #45

OOwee! Datsa nice!

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#