Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

He and I both ride Harleys.

That was obvious from the start, just making myself clear. Don't knock my Kawasaki and I won't tell you what a piece of sh*t your HD is.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #32
Mega-Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Not all Harley owners have the "we are better than you" attitude. The smart HD dealers won't perpetuate that crap, they know that metric owners are potential customers. I have never been treated badly by an HD dealer just because I don't ride one.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #33
Advanced Member

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman
[quote author=glmvt board=general thread=19712 post=297402 time=1284249442]

Kawasaki made a 454 LTD in the 80's that was belt drive. But the material quality wasn't there. HD started using belt drive after the materials for belts improved. All of Kawasaki's LTD series had a seat that went up the tank slightly. The switchgear on HD's sux! HD have traditionally had a separate oil tank because they used to leak, easy to check and pour. ;)

HD's have a separate oil tank because they are dry sump. It has nothing to do with oil leaks,[/quote

I don't know about you, but I've seen them leak oil. Don't know where it comes from, and frankly I hope they all run out of oil.
Ok you win
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Not all Harley owners have the "we are better than you" attitude. The smart HD dealers won't perpetuate that crap, they know that metric owners are potential customers. I have never been treated badly by an HD dealer just because I don't ride one.
I guess I'll have to come for a visit. I haven't had that warm fuzzy feeling from a HD dealer in a long time. Maybe I'll have to change my name too. Yours sincerly, Bigpushover.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #35

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I'll have to come for a visit. I haven't had that warm fuzzy feeling from a HD dealer in a long time. Maybe I'll have to change my name too. Yours sincerely, Bigpushover.
Ouch loafer!!!

Look... it was quite clear your HD-bashing is related to your experience.

I just wasn't going to let the record stand that ALL HD's are a piece of cr@p, and that ALL HD owners are a piece of cr@p. That my friend is just simply not true... ;)

I'll take HD-bashing only from someone that has put several thousands of miles on an HD first, and only if the HD they owned or ridden is a 2009 or newer.

I don't know that you have ever owned one; thus for me your opinion gets disqualified -- with all due respect, unless you tell me otherwise.

I see where you had an incident that, quite frankly, would have left me with a bad-taste for HD's also. To that... I'm sorry to have heard it went down that way. However, to group ALL dealers and owners in the same classification would be simply be wrong... because that simply is not true -- period!

Some of the most hospitable dealers I have ever stopped into were Harley dealers -- even when I rode my Nomad. At my local dealer (Kegel Harley -- the world's oldest Harley dealership); there are always metrics of all size and shape there. It is not uncommon to see metrics stop at their diner for lunch. I don't believe if they had a terrible attitude that these people would stop-by any longer. So... your statement is wrong with my one example.

Regarding a comparison between a Nomad and a HD... I don't believe I have "ripped" on Nomads (or any other metric -- unless in "fun") in such a way that you "rip" on HD's.

From my perspective... there may be people on this site that might be interested in hearing "factual" statements, or comments from "real" experience about both bikes... and I would not want any "untruths" to be spewed about errantly about any bike without true experience or ownership... and/or based on personal anger. Untruths, or statements made based on anger do no one any good. ;)

...just saying. :)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
Harley copying Kawasaki?

They finily caught up to the 1999 Nomads!?? <G>
Next thing you know they will build a dependible motor!

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMMING TO???

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:

What are you talking about?
"I had been bashed for years by HD riders about how inferior my Jap bikes were. They are the most ignorant people I have ever met."

"He and I both ride Harleys."
I have been bashed by HD riders. And I'm fed up with them.

I didn't come to KawaNOW expecting to hear two guys that own HD's talk or joke about my beloved Nomad.

I didn't come to KawaNOW to say anything bad about HD's or their riders.

I have numerous relatives and friends who own HD's and I do ride with them and we all have a great time together.
They don't say bad things about me or mine, and I do the same.
The HD people I was referring to, are the people who will ride up, get off their trusty ride and make comments to me personally.
I said they were ignorant, I didn't say "you two" were ignorant...
If you read my comment again and bare in mind they you personally haven't insulted me. You will hopefully see that I was talking about personal encounters. And that I was not slamming all HD riders or all the dealers. If that's what you or anyone else got out of it, I DO APOLOGIZE.
When I drive into the local HD dealer with my Nomad, they all seem to go on a coffee break. No warm and fuzzy feeling at that place. I have others that do not ride HD's tell me similar stories. And some have even gone out of state to buy their HD. after trying to talk to someone at this dealer.

No I haven't ridden a HD for thousands of miles on a '09 or newer
model. Get serious, that will never happen.

And you can discount anything I have said if you so choose.

I have ridden all of my relatives and friends HD's as well as riding many demos since 1968.
Does this make me an expert? No.
Does this give me an idea about whether "I" would be happy owning one? Yes.
I like to joke around and laugh as much as anyone.
But on a Nomad site, I didnt expect to read the post that were being made.
Did I take them personally, yes. Should I take them personally? You tell me.
Anything with a motor and tires will have problems. Is there a motorcycle that is perfect? NO. And there will never be.
As they have said for a very long time, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
I hope you enjoy your 7 hour ride. ;)
Gerry

Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #38
Mega-Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Easy, guys. Shake hands and go get a beer or something.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #39

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Easy, guys. Shake hands and go get a beer or something.
+1

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Kawasaki copied Harley with the Voyager.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
The truth is when you look at the Voyager, it's the other way around.
??? I guess I'm not following your thoughts.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

My Nomad shifted a lot better than the Ultra I rode yesterday, but the gearing on the Ultra was better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
I would add that Nomad's do not exactly have the greatest transmission that I have ever used... in fact, my Ultra's transmission is smoother than my Nomad's...

...just saying. ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 09-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

I have to agree with Scott. The HD dealers I have dealt with were pretty nice. No bashing at all, just playing up their own brand.

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I'll have to come for a visit. I haven't had that warm fuzzy feeling from a HD dealer in a long time. Maybe I'll have to change my name too. Yours sincerly, Bigpushover.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Exactly. All I want is factual information. No bike is perfect and it's a good thing going into any brand to know what the facts are. I have only owned Kawasaki for the last 23 years. The Nomad was a good bike, very good in some ways, but perfect, no. We all have our unique requirements and hopefully we can find the ride that comes as close as it can and then modify it if necessary to meet the expectations of the owner. If the Nomad made 40 more HP, handled like an Ultra, and came with a Russell seat, I would have kept it. A Russell seat is doable, the other two aren't. So that being said, let the facts be the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:

I guess I'll have to come for a visit. I haven't had that warm fuzzy feeling from a HD dealer in a long time. Maybe I'll have to change my name too. Yours sincerely, Bigpushover.
Ouch loafer!!!

Look... it was quite clear your HD-bashing is related to your experience.

I just wasn't going to let the record stand that ALL HD's are a piece of cr@p, and that ALL HD owners are a piece of cr@p. That my friend is just simply not true... ;)

I'll take HD-bashing only from someone that has put several thousands of miles on an HD first, and only if the HD they owned or ridden is a 2009 or newer.

I don't know that you have ever owned one; thus for me your opinion gets disqualified -- with all due respect, unless you tell me otherwise.

I see where you had an incident that, quite frankly, would have left me with a bad-taste for HD's also. To that... I'm sorry to have heard it went down that way. However, to group ALL dealers and owners in the same classification would be simply be wrong... because that simply is not true -- period!

Some of the most hospitable dealers I have ever stopped into were Harley dealers -- even when I rode my Nomad. At my local dealer (Kegel Harley -- the world's oldest Harley dealership); there are always metrics of all size and shape there. It is not uncommon to see metrics stop at their diner for lunch. I don't believe if they had a terrible attitude that these people would stop-by any longer. So... your statement is wrong with my one example.

Regarding a comparison between a Nomad and a HD... I don't believe I have "ripped" on Nomads (or any other metric -- unless in "fun") in such a way that you "rip" on HD's.

From my perspective... there may be people on this site that might be interested in hearing "factual" statements, or comments from "real" experience about both bikes... and I would not want any "untruths" to be spewed about errantly about any bike without true experience or ownership... and/or based on personal anger. Untruths, or statements made based on anger do no one any good. ;)

...just saying. :)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #44

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadwest (Dave)
In 2009 Harley completely redesigned all their touring fleet. The frame was beefed up and changed to a 2 piece cradle design to make them more stable at high speed. The left rear exhaust was routed under and behind the transmission kind of like ours. They put a wider swing arm and wider rear tire on kind of like ours. Anyone else had that thought?
i have to disagree with you. the only thing hardley and the nomad have in common is the fi v-twin and similar appearance. i am not into harleys, but the frame on the nomad is far from being a good one. my nomad is far from being a good handling bike. i don't care cuz it is my fun bike. the harley looks awesome when it comes to finish and quality, but it is archiac, mechanically. i would'nt own a harley cuz i think you get the shaft. we already have the shaft. lol. never rode a new harley but i have done the twisties in georgia behind one on a venture, and a roadstar warrior and was surprised at the way they cornered. i have had everthing from really piss poor handling bikes to the ultmate sport bikes ( a 2007 yamaha r-6 that was tweeked), and believe me the nomad rates close to 3 on the ten scale. like i said i don't care . i like everything else about it. i never make what i own to be something it ain't. iffin it ain't got it, i will be honest and admit it. the nomad has a trace of frame flex and heavy steering when pushed hard in the curves (very unerving), mostly when an rv is in the wrong lane coming at you in a curve. i try to keep from pushing to hard in the curves cuz i bought cycle cats floorboard fringe and don't want to grind it off. bill

Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #45

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Between my wife and I we have owned 4 Kawasakis, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha, and 1 Honda. I put more miles than any on the Suzuki, and have had the most economical ownership from her current bike, the Aero. There were styling and engineering cues shared by all the manufacturers, and some were obviously copied from HD. And I don't care. I liked whichever bike I owned at the time, and admired others I didn't. I am not lusting after a Harley, as the Nomad only has 13000 miles on it and I am perfectly happy to keep it for a long time. When I decide on the next one, who knows what it will be! I don't come here to read about bashing of ANY brand, as I have friends who ride just about everything under the sun. Idiots are idiots no matter what they ride, or sell, for that matter. Lack of civility comes in all shapes, sizes and colors, as does courtesy.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad