Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Why I Carry a Gun

You don't really desire a target trigger on a battle gun. Go give yerself a bad scare sometime and then see if you can still shoot. My target guns like triggers around 2.5 maybe 3 pounds, but my battle guns have considerably harder triggers to pull.

The last thing anyone wants is to be scared out of their whitts and end up shooting a loved one.

I know the rule of not putting a finger inside the trigger guard, but i can't always say for sure when I am scared i won't do that either.

I have cleared homes for female friends of mine when they had valid restraining orders, and I don't mind saying I am scared in unfamilar surroundings.

One women who's hubby was away, had a siloutte target hanging in the cellar! I was froends with her hubby and knew he shot targets, but i didn't know what kind.

I damnnned near shot that target in the dim light too. I demanded the target speak to me and it friggin refused!

Then you get the real jackoff and call the cops and the cops won't come and still on the phone Sir Mr. jackoff gets mean, and advances. BOOM Stopped that problem.

but I can't tell you a thing about how that trigger felt. I had the shakes so bad, my now x passed me a drink and I spilled it everywhere.

The cops came after a while and asked if i had been drinking, and i said no but I tried too be.

I tend to be that way. Dead calm till the storm passes, then I break down and shake like leaf.

Maybe I am over emotional.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Why I Carry a Gun

Mac, you are right, none of us know how we will react in the thick of things and one certainly does not want a hair trigger in a gun fight. But the trigger on the LCP really leaves a lot to be desired. The Bersa that I mentioned has a SA trigger pull of around 5 pounds and not terribly long. The LCP has a VERY long trigger pull.

Sorry to hear that you actually had to shoot someone. Tough call to make.

By the way, if I was an inanimate object and you were yelling at me to speak up or get shot I would learn to talk real fast. HA.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #33
Top Contributor

Why I Carry a Gun

Bud,

The February issue of the American Rifleman (NRA) has a good article on 9 .380s.

You can read part of it online if you don't have the magazine:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Arti...?id=2074&cid=4

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #34

Why I Carry a Gun

This is a good web site to find out the requirements for obtaining a concealed carry permit in your state.

http://www.usacarry.com/

For active military or veterans living in Virginia, getting a permit is one of the easiest things you can do - too easy some might argue. As an Air Force weather forecaster, I had minimal firearm training prior to going to Vietnam in 1971. I retired in 1981 and applied for a permit in 2005, 34 years after my last formal training. All I had to do was provide my DD214 showing honorable military service and I was issued a permit within 10 days. But just having a permit is not enough. There is a long list of local and state regulations dictating where you can and cannot carry once you acquire your permit. There is also a long list of states that either recognize or do not recognize your home state permit. So when I say that it might be too easy to get a permit without recent training, that's because there are several ways to get into trouble unless you take it upon yourself to know what all these rules are.

The NRA is headquartered in Fairfax, Virginia, and they were a strong supporter of the newly elected Republican Governor. So even now, there are bills in legislation that will make life even easier for gun owners in Virginia.
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #35

Why I Carry a Gun

Bob,
As an NRA member should I be able to log on and read the entire article?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #36

Why I Carry a Gun

mericanbike, You are right, some states make it very easy to get a permit. Idaho is one of them. Local sheriff does a background check and if you are clean you get a permit within 30 days for a fee. Utah requires training and a test and does not honor Idaho's permit. Many here are taking the Utah training and obtaining their permit because more states honor the Utah permit. Some will only honor the permit if you are a resident of the state that issues it.
Makes concealed carry a real patchwork.
Nice to know that Virginia is doing the right thing. Seems like more states are.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #37
Advanced Member

Why I Carry a Gun

I carry a S&W model 442 .38 special airweight

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #38
Advanced Member

Why I Carry a Gun

I've been lookin at that ruger LCP, the salesman said alot of bikers have been buying them, he said it's a belly gun, small, easy to conceal, and made to get someone off your ass, not target shoot.

here they're selling for $319.00

looking to get one before summer
VBA #00077

Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #39

Why I Carry a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
Bob,
As an NRA member should I be able to log on and read the entire article?
Yes.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Why I Carry a Gun

Something else a newbie to carry might do wrong is brandish. Don't! Pretty much unless you are inside your home don't handle the weapon. Have it on you and out of plain view, but don't go wavin it around to 'scare' a bad guy, or the situtation gets turned around and you end up as the bad guy.

The deal pretty much must be you are scared, and under threat of life, before you may draw and fire! Pretty much if you draw you should fire and no warnings, no shots to wound, just shots to stop.

Now this doesn't mean you must fire, and for sure don't fire if the bad guy turns his back.

The entire deal must be plainly view by others as self defence, or you get a free ride down town and will spend your life savings and more to remain free if you do.

I can tell you what helped me a lot was the bad guy was wanted for 6 current bench warrents, had a long playing album of year and years of previous convictions for violent crime and drug related other violence. I didn't know him, but the cops tried to make it look like I did.

They wanted to arrest me and try me in court. I expected that, but I didn't expect to learn about my assailant. I blame the system for the way paroll works, and the bleeding heart libral judges who release these low life.

I don't blame the cops who bust these guys over and over again, but on the whole is sure does make fo good job insurance for the entire so called justice system.

I see no justice in it at all, and just try to exist.

My wife's father and step mother were stabbed to death at Easter 99, and since then I have become hard core, and to the point I am willing to break the law myself, in order to survive.

That doesn't mean I play bad ass, but that I will carry anywhere, anyplace and at any time, to include Mass, NY, NJ, Md, and other places like 1/2 the 40 states I visited and Yellow Stone, when I had no idea there was a difference between National Forest and National Park.

I know a musem like the Arch in Mo is a National Park, but tought a place like Yellow Stone was a National Forest where you can shoot and or hunt.

With the type of protection my in laws got, there is just no room in my heart for the type of protection I know I will get if I ever need it.

I don't like to be hard core, but then I wasn't consulted about how I would feel if my family were killed in 2 separte events. There have been other events, but this is too long as it is.

All I can say is if I ever meet any of you guys the one safe thing to assume is I will be armed.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE, That usually ends up a dog and pony show where fire arms become the topic.

News: This current trend of carry, is the Fed Gov't and State Govts Faults... Socially we are growing to be more corrupt and lack morals. Not to hard to see that if you ask me.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it