Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #16

darkside moron

Here is the funny thing, I have not seen ONE SINGLE THREAD OF EVIDENCE THAT ANYONE HAS EVER EVER HAD ONE SINGLE PROBLEM RIDING WITH A CAR TIRE ON A MOTORCYCLE!!! If there is one thing I hate is an expert that has no clue what he is talking about. I will bet you my paycheck that that guy could not show you one shred of evidence on paper proving his theory. If a steel belted radial could separate on a motorcycle, why the heck are they even putting them on cars. Sorry, this kind of thing just gets my blood boiling. This is supposed to be someone who is an expert on the subject, and is probably no more than a reject from McDonald's (no offense to McDonald's employees). My advice to anyone else that runs across this kind of situation, tell them to prove their statement.

On the flip side, when I went to buy my Dunlop C/T from Hibdon Tire Center here in Midwest city, even though he kept asking me what model car I was putting it on, and I told him and he kept telling me they don't carry motorcycle tires, I explained it to him exactly what I was doing and why and he said, "well that actually sounds like it may actually work" and to my surprise he actually asked me to bring it by and show him when I got it mounted. I did exactly that and when I got back to the tire shop, he was so impressed he called his boss out and a couple other guys and they all took a look and not one person had a bad comment. They where actually quite impressed. I told them I would bring it back after the 500 mile break in and show it so I plan on doing just that tomorrow.

Wompus, don't let the un informed keep you from doing it, and please do not take our word for it but do the research yourself. Use every piece of evidence you can find to make an informed decision but make sure whoever you get the information from has first hand experience on what they are talking about. In all my research, I did not find one person who actually runs a ct that would switch back to a mc tire, but again, and I can't stress this enough, do not take my word for it, do the research.

Sorry, rant off. Geeze, some people. I ran into this old motorcycle tire shop here in the city, this guy was a real winner. Had a .357 strapped to his side, boasted how he chased a hells angel guy out of his shop, said that the best bike ever made was a V-Star, that crotch rockets will eventually get everyone killed and when I told him I was thinking about putting on a ct, I actually thought he was going to shoot me. Oh the rant I got from him should have been recorded. Said he has been selling motorcycle tires for 30 years and yada yada yada. That was one heck of an experience, but again, I think his elevator didn't quite go to the top floor to begin with. Some people.

As many have said and I will say it myself. I have a 99 Nomad, and I did not have one problem putting my Dunlop SP5000 195/60 16 tire on. Did it in the kitchen with just a couple of tire tools. I have a stock mag wheel and didn't use any special tools, chants, oils, or anything but my own 2 hands. I was actually quite pleased on how easy it went on. I did however use a little bit of liquid soap to make it slip on a bit easier. Seating was a bit difficult but I took my time, and patience, and it seated just fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #17

darkside moron

Just to add, and clarify the width problem. Before you seat the bead, it is a tight fit. The actual space between the bead ridges on the rim is actually quite narrow because the bead area on the rim is so wide. But it does fit. Please excuse the rather bad caveman drawing (Sorry Geico) but this cross section of the rim gives you an idea. Before you seat the bead, both beads are quite close making mounting more difficult because there is not as much room as on a car tire, but it can, and has been done. It is also why seating the bead is more difficult on a motorcycle rim because the bead actually has farther to travel to seat propperly. Like I said, I had no problem, just had to hold my mouth right. If there is anyone who can explain this better, please take me of the hook.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #18

darkside moron

I think you explained it quite well isaihsdad, I ran into a fella last month that just wouldn't even accept the fact that it had been done thousands of times safely already, He was so set against it that you couldn't even try to explain it to him.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #19

darkside moron

I don't talk to anyone about anything in public...makes it much nicer. Sometimes I do that in private too!

Seriously, I have people get all worked up about anything MC related. Don't ride cause you'll hit deer, don't ride cause a car will hit you, don't ride pulling a trailer cause it is dangerous, don't ride cause your just a "organ donor" in waiting...whatever. I ride the way I want and doing what I want to do.

DS will be in my future for sure, along with riding pulling a trailer with Kaw-Head, so that means deer will be present. :)
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
Advanced Member

darkside moron

Well, I don't want to be the first 'statistic' of a car tire failing. Won't do it to save a few bucks and my life is worth a lot more than a few bucks, at least to me, anyway. Jamie

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #21

darkside moron

Yea, I get set off when people call them "donorcycles". Nimrods!!

And no offense Jamie, but you already are a statistic, you ride a motorcycle and are doomed! So many people say that riding a motorcycle in the first place is a dangerous and deadly mode of transport but that didn't stop you from doing it. And as far as saving money, the same thing can also be said about riding motorcycles "I ride to save money on gas". Just my 2 cents.

I did it to get more mileage, and I heard the ride was better, and I found out on my own that both where true. I actually paid more for my car tire than my motorcycle tire. Yea, I may end up saving in the long run but I still think I made the right choice, as did thousands of others who made the switch. Now that makes it 4 cents. To each, his own.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #22
Top Contributor

darkside moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiep24
Well, I don't want to be the first 'statistic' of a car tire failing. Won't do it to save a few bucks and my life is worth a lot more than a few bucks, at least to me, anyway. Jamie
Hey, Jamie.

Your reasoning is totally correct and I absolutey will defend your choice as being correct even though I do use a car tire.

If anyone has any doubt whatsoever then they should not consider using a car tire.

That's why most of us say to do the research and decide for yourselves.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

darkside moron

isaiahsdad, I thought you said you lubed the tire with bat's blood, to get it on the rim?

CoachA, You shouldn't ride a motorcycle because you could hit a jeep that hit a Moose!

jamiep24, If I wasn't riding a car tire I probably wouldn't be typing this.. I would have died inside the jeep with my wife instead.

Instead i was loaned a carpenter's hammer to peel the ft fender off the new ft tire and ride the bike home.

I took a picture of the rubber I layed down for all 81 feet, and that is a lot wider than any pair of mc tires are.

Maybe the rear didn't bite so well as i think, but it sure left rubber on the road. I think this is one place the more rubber is a good thing.

I was almost stopped... almost...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #24

darkside moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiep24
Jamie, I know and understand how you feel. When I saw the first few of the guys on this forum going with car tires I thought to myself 'What on earth are they doing?' 'They must have lost their minds.' I can go back and find the threads where I asked questions from every angle. I was always careful to tell them that I didn't know squat about darksiding and I had only been riding for a little over a year. I just wanted to understand the reasoning behind substituting a car tire for what years of engineering have developed distinctly for motorcycles. I just couldn't grasp the idea. Well, I began researching and researching and even talking to local guys who have changed over. It slowly began to make sense. Then I watched a video on Youtube of a camera mounted below the frame of a cruiser aimed directly at his rear car tire. He took the bike through twisties and leaned it over to where he was nearly dragging the boards. Not once did this tire ever lose it's total width patch on the pavement. Car tires are good on big cruisers that don't lean a heck of alot. On a sport bike, it would be suicide because of the angle that these bikes can lean. Bike manufacturers can't install a car tire or tell you it's OK to install a car tire because of liability. It's too easy to get your pants sued off today. You can have a beautiful backyard inground pool with a six foot fence and locked gate. If one of the neighbor's kids scale that fence and drown in your pool you will most likely have to pay. It's just that easy to get burnt. They can't tell you a CT is good for one bike and not another. Where would they draw the line. Like I said before I started rambling, it is a personal choice and if a person has any doubts they should stay with a MC tire, period.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #25
Advanced Member

darkside moron

i have ruffled a few feathers with my responses to going to the darkside, isaiahsdad and i had a small tiff, that i think we worked out. now that he is a darksider, i think he see's where i was coming from. i will tell my opinion of going to the darkside, but am dun trying to justify it with the naysayers. im happy with it, its MY bike, and thats all that matters to me.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #26

darkside moron

Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance- Albert Einstein.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #27

darkside moron

Right now. I'm with Jamie on this one.
I know a bunch of you guys are running the CT with no problems but I would be uncomfortable knowing i had a CT on my bike.
An uncomfortable rider is a danger to himself and others.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

darkside moron

Well if and when is what Gen Patton used to say. He said it so much he named his sail boat "If and When".

So If and When you guys ever happen to change yer minds, you will understand why those who have feel the way they do, and won't go back..

I don't believe I ever read about anyone going back yet.. I know I won't.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
darkside moron

Don, I see you have a 99 Nomad.
On the car tire, which one did you use? All I can find are Radials.. is that what you have?
I've measured my swing arm and I can just fit the 195/60/16 in it.
The Dunlap SP5000 is what I'm thinking about using.

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #30
Sr. Contributor

darkside moron

WOMPUS, I don't know who Don is, but if it is isaiahsdad, he is running the very same thing you are talking about as i type and has been a good month on a 1500... I forget who else has done this here, and who ever that is is the 2nd in the 1500's with the same tire.

I don't know everyone else, but believe anyone else here is doing this with the 1600. I am one of the first here, and did it last year Spring 08.

So far i don't know of anyone even remotely wishing they didn't do this after they did.

At first I didn't think the 1500 could fit these tires, but I stand corrected..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac