Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-15-2023, 10:11 PM   #61

If Meanie engine is good or can be it will cost around $1k to remove and put it in the Nomad. Wonder if tach and speedo can be mounted on Nomad? Meanie is 200 lbs lighter and more fun but would cost several grand to set up like I would want. Sell the rest of the Meanie or save for any parts that would fit Nomad?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2023, 11:20 PM   #62

Bought the Meanie for engine, does the forks or front calipers fit the Nomad?

I believe it does....I'm a Drivetrain Tech, I was gonna get a meanie frontend off of MAS a coupleof years back....I believe he said it would fit. He could tell you....
Meanie front brakes will haul that Nomad down alot faster.

If the gauges are what you are asking about....I believe (?) they can work if you can adapt the speedo over to the Nomads wiring harness....

The gearing is slightly lower on the meanie trans....meaning....you can get the girls bulk going quicker off the line and lower speeds.
She'll run out quicker up top, but will make that Nomad feel alot quicker....
Hope this helps....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-21-2023, 07:14 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Bought the Meanie for engine, does the forks or front calipers fit the Nomad?

I believe it does....I'm a Drivetrain Tech, I was gonna get a meanie frontend off of MAS a coupleof years back....I believe he said it would fit. He could tell you....
Meanie front brakes will haul that Nomad down alot faster.

If the gauges are what you are asking about....I believe (?) they can work if you can adapt the speedo over to the Nomads wiring harness....

The gearing is slightly lower on the meanie trans....meaning....you can get the girls bulk going quicker off the line and lower speeds.
She'll run out quicker up top, but will make that Nomad feel alot quicker....
Hope this helps....
How will the brakes be better ?

Old 01-21-2023, 07:15 PM   #64

"The brakes are the single most impressive performance aspect of the machine. Pulled from Kawasaki’s ZX-9R superbike, the front brakes are simply phenomenal in their performance and feel. The rear brake seems to provide a perfect balance as well. Together, the brakes could haul the Mean Streak down from high speeds without drama and with superior control. I almost felt I could lock both brakes coming to a stop, and the chassis would remain under control. This is something I have never experienced on a cruiser before. I would rate the Mean Streak’s brakes even higher than the excellent brakes found on Honda’s VTX1800." -- 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak: MD Ride Review

Old 01-21-2023, 10:42 PM   #65

Take a look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4613.JPG (95.5 KB, 16 views)
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2023, 11:00 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
How will the brakes be better ?
They have more surface area, and 50% more clamping power.

My Meanie would do stoppies!!
VBA 936

Old 01-22-2023, 06:16 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
They have more surface area, and 50% more clamping power.

My Meanie would do stoppies!!
The Nomads, clamp hard enough to lock the wheel up. It dont need anymore power than that. Mine has sat me on my arse, several times

Old 01-25-2023, 04:53 AM   #68

A bit complicated but not much confusing, check out its engine first, after that change its oil and clean it up properly because black smoke and bad sound are signs of damaged engine.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:07 PM   #69

Yeah that’s a given that the engine is hurt. I’m thinking the Mean Streak with the very low mile engine is probably worth more if I keep it and the frame together. Plan to get it road worthy and sell/keep for a little while. Then look for an engine for the Nomad. My question is how do I find a used engine that I can trust? I can find them for $1500 with free shipping and a 30 day warranty with < 20,000 miles. Or would it be cheaper/ok to rebuild the original engine if parts can be found?

Old 01-25-2023, 09:03 PM   #70

In my experience doing some engine work to my Mean Streak parts are becoming discontinued quickly. Things that were available recently came back as not when I ordered. I needed at least one cylinder liner but they were all gone. I found one in eastern Europe NOS but by the time it would be ordered and shipping applied one might as well order a set of new custom made sleeves and have a nice tight and straight bore on both cylinders. Over sized pistons were gone but rings were available in standard and oversized.

I would get the low mileage engine and start from there.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:04 AM   #71

Ok....you can get a good used engine from the salvage folks down in Fl, Tx or Ca....About $1500, with warranty, decent shipping costs.
Now, if its a std. MaKawa's internal screwup to where the whole engine isn't scraped, you can have MaKawas menions rebuild your engine for $1500....if its just needs freshened up....if the motors been severly beat up....it'll run you about $2000/$2300....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-26-2023, 10:58 AM   #72

“MaKawas menions” does that mean dealer mechanics? They wont touch it, too old for them. My mechanic has not opened up the old engine, he is just going by the shavings in the oil and what he sees with scope and that it is only running on one cylinder. Timing or bearing letting go he does not know. He thinks since the shavings in oil then they are all through out the engine and may not be worth it to try to clean out. The engine is out of the Nomad and he is trying to get the Meanie running since it has sat in storage for so long.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:51 AM   #73

Meanie is running and ready to be picked up, <600 miles on the odometer! He says that being a mainly Harley mechanic he does not know enough about how to split it and go through and rebuild the engine of Nomad. I can get another mean streak engine for $1500 shipped to him but he would have to put it in the Nomad ($500) to check it out fully. If not a good engine he would have to take it back out (another $500). Plus the used engine does not seem to have the fuel injection on it in the pictures but I’m guessing that can be taken off of my Nomad and used but at an additional cost for labor. Then shipping cost to send back to salvage yard. If I get the used Meanie engine and it turns over by hand and the pistons, valves look good on a scope, spark plugs are okay can I assume it can work? Ive seen the picture of the bike it was in, he rear ended someone and bent the forks, does not look like the engine was touched. Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #74

As long as the salvage engine was stored adequately to prevent any internal corrosion it should be fine. The salvage yards are usually careful not to sell junk as good.

No reason not to repower the other bike. One can never have too many.

Vernon

Old 02-22-2023, 10:07 PM   #75

Meanie idles and runs but shuts off. Seems to be starved for fuel. Inside Meanie tank was pretty cruddy. Mechanic said he used vinegar inside a couple of times but did not seal it. Still a bit rusty and I’m not sure how much or how long he worked on it. YouTube shows removing tank and place small nuts and bolts inside, shake it around to remove any flaking rust. Empty the tank wash it out, plug vents and fill with vinegar and let it set. Maybe have to repeat more than once, wash it out with soap and water. After it dries use epoxy to seal. Anyone done this? Thoughts?