Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-24-2022, 06:54 PM   #1

U-Joint noise?

On my 06 with 61k, I started hearing a noise at higher speeds coming from below on the left side. With the engine off, when slowly rolling forward or back, I hear a clicking noise down by the drive shaft rubber boot. Hard to tell for sure since I can't put my head down there while moving but pretty sure.

I have never serviced the drive shaft in the past 7 years or so that I have owned it so is it a good guess that the u-joint is worn out or could it be other things or hard to say?

Found the gadget page on servicing the driveshaft & how to remove so I reckon I will attempt that & order a u-joint for the prairie 400.

Its riding season where I live so need to get this repaired quick :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by virtualgeorge; 12-24-2022 at 06:56 PM.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:48 PM   #2

Chang it before it breaks, because then you will be replacing the entire driveshaft and possibly more. I found out the hard way when mine broke on the road and locked up the wheel. I skid to an abrupt stop .

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #3

Did you have any indication prior to the failure like the noise I was describing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Chang it before it breaks, because then you will be replacing the entire driveshaft and possibly more. I found out the hard way when mine broke on the road and locked up the wheel. I skid to an abrupt stop .

Old 12-25-2022, 11:26 PM   #4

The shifting may seem a little bit rougher or clunky, but it fails within a split second without warning.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-31-2022, 11:57 AM   #5

Raise the rear wheel off the ground and rotate the wheel.

You should be able to pinpoint the source of the clicking.

I think I have a ujoint for the 1500/1600, I'll check
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
I think I have a ujoint for the 1500/1600, I'll check
Thank's man but just ordered a u joint and the bevel gear bearing :)
I did lift it and sounds like the u joint to me.

Once I have everything loose, I can just slide the rear drive back and drive shaft remains in place and then remove the lock pin to remove, is that correct? I will also check & lube swing arm bearings.

Last edited by virtualgeorge; 01-02-2023 at 01:49 PM.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:58 PM   #7

If you've been to the Gadget site you know all you need to know. It is thorough and accurate.

Old 01-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #8

I see on the gadget site how to remove the swing arm & final drive but nothing about the bevel gear bearing? I found posts & images and vids with the bevel gear housing off but not actually removing it but maybe its easy to figure out.

So when you get the side cover off & see the housing with the large copper plug, you can remove the plug to inspect. There is a large nut and does that have to be removed before you remove the housing? The bearing is attached to the inside of the housing with a retainer clip with 2 bolts right?

I reckon the large nut comes off if you need to get to the back bearing and would need the special shaft holding tool?

Couldn't find any videos where they actually removed the housing and then the outer bearing and someone here in an old post mentioned something about a spring when you remove the housing?

Any insight is much appreciated!!

Old 01-05-2023, 05:49 PM   #9
Top Contributor

I presume you looked on Youtube ?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...can+bevel+gear

Old 01-05-2023, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Indeed I did! Every one I could find and most all of them are just kind of explaining what they did after it was already disassembled.

Last edited by virtualgeorge; 01-05-2023 at 08:52 PM.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #11
Top Contributor

There are a few on the forum that have fixed the bevel gear and hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:29 PM   #12

Yes I have read a lot of the past threads and have all the info I need now I think. Found someone in another group that just replaced his and had to read the manual a few times and think I got it now. My brain just doesn't always comprehend those exploded view diagrams.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:03 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:09 PM   #14

I removed my driveshaft it seems tight. I have a video, when I turn the gear the drive shaft is attached to I hear the clicking noise I was describing, there is play. I loosened the big nut under the cap a little while the drive shaft was still attached but that bearing and nut had no play. I am not a skilled mechanic and don't want to tear into too deep but does anyone know if this narrows down the possibilities? If it was that outside bearing pressed into the case, would it be visibly loose or prob move if pushed with a small tool? Here is a video that shows the sound as I move the gear.
https://youtube.com/shorts/noSIUR0-HjI?feature=share

Old 01-13-2023, 05:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualgeorge View Post
I removed my driveshaft it seems tight. I have a video, when I turn the gear the drive shaft is attached to I hear the clicking noise I was describing, there is play. I loosened the big nut under the cap a little while the drive shaft was still attached but that bearing and nut had no play. I am not a skilled mechanic and don't want to tear into too deep but does anyone know if this narrows down the possibilities? If it was that outside bearing pressed into the case, would it be visibly loose or prob move if pushed with a small tool? Here is a video that shows the sound as I move the gear.
https://youtube.com/shorts/noSIUR0-HjI?feature=share
That just sounds like the normal slack between the cogs, slapping together on contact.