Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
@SnakeRanch, Tell me more about RIDE-ON please. How is clean up when changing the tire? Does this stuff stay liquid and wipes off easily? Or is this a sticky mess?

How much RIDE-ON per tire is needed?

Ride safe,
Smokier
The product goes in a consistency like hotcake batter. The tire is deflated and right after squirting it in the tire through the valve stem, you need to go for a 20 minute ride to disperse the compound around the inside of the tire and warm it up.

What I have seen when removing my rear tire was a gel type material. It was not on any other part of the tire except the tread area. The rim, side walls and tire bead areas were clean. I didn't try to remove it as the tire was being thrown out. There was no mess at all.

The RIDE-ON I bought were about $15.00 per bottle. The amount per tire depends on the size of tire. Meaning the wider the tire the more you will need. My rear tire is a 205-60-16. If I remember correctly the chart recommended 2 bottles for my rear tire. You can put in 25% more which I did.

So looking at the back of the bottle it recommends going to the RIDE-ON web site for the amount you will need. If I remember correctly there is a chart that will help you calculate what you will need for your tire.

For me I spent about $60.00 for 4 bottles. I thought it was cheap insurance when you figure the aggravation of a flat.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
Snake Ranch,

How many miles do you have on your Yokohama tire? How many do you think you will get out of it?
My last Yokohama I was able to get over 28,000 miles. It developed a problem and I changed it out. It still had a lot of life left, I was hoping for more than 40,000.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
You may be right chuck. I will lower it to 33, 31, etc... and see how it rides. The tire is rated at 1389 lbs so it should have room for adjustment.
One thing to keep in mind is what the tire is rated for regarding air pressure.

My tire is rated for 51 psi. I run it in that area. This particular tire has a soft ride at this air pressure. If I run the tire at 42 psi it gets squirmy. I tried another manufacture's tire and I didn't like it. Pulled it off, gave it away and put the Yokohama back on.

All these tires are made different, different construction and different application.

The lower air pressure causes the tire to heat up more, which can be catastrophic.

I was in the service dept of the Harley dealer near here and I asked what was the reason for the 4 tires leaning on the wall being shredded 360 degrees around.

The reason was the rider was running to low air pressure. I had thought there was a manufacture defect or something. 4 different tires, but they all looked the same.

Another thing is lower air pressure equals poor fuel mileage and more tire wear.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #19

Here's my thought on the "dark side". So don't knock me for it. I don't knock anyone who loves it. To each their own. I tried it a while back and didn't care for it at all especially in the turns. So I went back to a motorcycle tire. But, and here comes the big but. Consider this. You're in the mountains or wherever enjoying the twistys . And you like to drag the floorboards occasionally. Then, along comes a sudden shower and with all the experience and hundreds of thousands of miles you have under your belt you somehow lose control, maybe some gravel washed into that turn, or whatever, and wreck you beloved baby. Thankfully you aren't hurt but your beloved ride needs a quick round from your Glock or Sig or whatever, to put it out of it's misery. So then you call up your cut rate insurance company and sob about how well you took care of your ride and tell them about all the accessories you've added. Here comes the dreaded "adjuster" to look at it. Oh boy, he sees your dark side tire that you were hoping to get 80K or 90K miles out of. Then he tells you that it's an unauthorized and not DOT approved modification and that they are not going to cover it. Now you look around for something to kick or break. Maybe you can sell a few salvaged parts on eBay. To all the nay say'ers, I know it a one in a million chance that might happen, but....... As I said at the beginning, my thought.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #20

Darksiding came in for a special mention by the NZ equivalent of your DOT a few years ago, thanks to a VROC'er who lives 15 minutes down the road from where I do.

He mentioned thinking about mounting a car tire on his V2K, on a very large motorcycle forum we have down here called Kiwibiker. Long story short during the long & loud forum argument that followed, someone said he was going to consult a friend of his from the NZ Transport Authority. Soon after he did that, the NZTA put out a special bulletin making it illegal to do so.

And like Pilot747 says - That's all it takes for an insurance company to say nope.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Darksiding came in for a special mention by the NZ equivalent of your DOT a few years ago, thanks to a VROC'er who lives 15 minutes down the road from where I do.

He mentioned thinking about mounting a car tire on his V2K, on a very large motorcycle forum we have down here called Kiwibiker. Long story short during the long & loud forum argument that followed, someone said he was going to consult a friend of his from the NZ Transport Authority. Soon after he did that, the NZTA put out a special bulletin making it illegal to do so.

And like Pilot747 says - That's all it takes for an insurance company to say nope.
That would be my concern also!
If an insurance company has any out they will take it every time.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Last edited by JD Hog; 07-23-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #22
Advanced Member

I have also heard the insurance companies gripe about the forward pegs. Feet are to be with-in XXX inches of the controls and are not standard equipment. SOOOOOOOO, either way just run what you can live with and what makes you happy.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
Here's my thought on the "dark side". So don't knock me for it. I don't knock anyone who loves it. To each their own. I tried it a while back and didn't care for it at all especially in the turns. So I went back to a motorcycle tire. But, and here comes the big but. Consider this. You're in the mountains or wherever enjoying the twistys . And you like to drag the floorboards occasionally. Then, along comes a sudden shower and with all the experience and hundreds of thousands of miles you have under your belt you somehow lose control, maybe some gravel washed into that turn, or whatever, and wreck you beloved baby. Thankfully you aren't hurt but your beloved ride needs a quick round from your Glock or Sig or whatever, to put it out of it's misery. So then you call up your cut rate insurance company and sob about how well you took care of your ride and tell them about all the accessories you've added. Here comes the dreaded "adjuster" to look at it. Oh boy, he sees your dark side tire that you were hoping to get 80K or 90K miles out of. Then he tells you that it's an unauthorized and not DOT approved modification and that they are not going to cover it. Now you look around for something to kick or break. Maybe you can sell a few salvaged parts on eBay. To all the nay say'ers, I know it a one in a million chance that might happen, but....... As I said at the beginning, my thought.
always comes up but never has been a factor..for the record, darkside is better in the rain than a motorcycle tire...one of the most talked about advantages...from the insurance standpoint, car tires are dot approved and every insurance company that has been questioned has stated no problem...many custom bikes and sidecar rigs have used car tires for years....never an issue...

if you would like to see videos of darksiders dragging floorboards just jump on their website...everyone is welcome if you can just hold back from telling us the bike will burst into flames...many sportbikes and tourers are featured tearing up pavement darkside...the handling doesnt suck by a long run...it is just different...

Old 08-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #24

I just say, will the "darksider" please raise their hand who wants to be the first one who wants the insurance company make an example of. LOL Just had another thought. Even if mounting a car tire on a motorcycle isn't technically illegal, there is another consideration. It's called negligence, doing something that isn't recommended. If your insurance does cover you in an at fault crash, they only cover you to the limits of policy liability. The rest is on you. And, we all know, or should know, that we live in a sue crazy society. Car tires don't expel water as well as motorcycle tires because they have a larger contact patch. Yeah, I know, they do a pretty good job considering they have to expel more water because of the larger contact patch than a motorcycle tire does. I realize what with the millions of miles and hundreds of years experience you may have riding that it's probably a one in a million chance. Just consider this, some how you lose control and go off the road and that person riding bitch gets seriously injured or god forbid, dies.. You survive, then the line of lawyers will be a sight to see. Just considering.....

Last edited by Pilot747; 08-18-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:58 PM   #25

I couldn't be here for much of this conversation that so carefully expounds on all of the perceived negatives of being a darksider, I was too busy on my 3,000 mile ride from flatland Texas thru: Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, and back through Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

No issues, no regrets but continue on with how horrible and ill advised darksiding is. Especially those who have never been on the darkside, your vast experience is extremely valuable.

Carry on.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #26

@GhostRider32, the double sarcasm buried in facetiousness lost me for a minute. Well done!

However, mentally I couldn't let it go. I don't get 'DARKSIDING' a motorcycle. There is no logic to it, in my mind. I just don't understand. The *only* argument FOR 'darksiding' is PRICE VS MILES. Car tires cost less and reportedly last longer on a motorcycle. If you are that CHEAP, get into a different hobby.

PHYSICS mandate that there WILL BE a difference in ride, handling, agility of a motorcycle with a car tire on the rear. PERIOD.

Those of us of who feel and use the feedback of our motorcycles can tell the difference between a new, fully crowned rear motorcycle tire and a worn, less crowned rear tire. Putting a car tire, which is essentially a flat-top-haircut, on the back of motorcycle is GOING TO impact the handling characteristics. PERIOD. It is physics.

It is YOUR MOTORCYCLE and you are absolutely permitted to modify it to your liking and preference. That is 100% acceptable, it is your right and is supported. However, don't kid yourself or lie to us that there is no change in the ride of a 'darkside' tire over an appropriate motorcycle tire. For those that DO say there is no difference going to the 'darkside', the rest of us throw the .

I will now get off of the speech stump...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Last edited by smokier; 08-21-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:14 AM   #27

Attention Ghostrider32

This just maybe a point you can not convince us to. But If you like it, COOL. I am good.
I am personally a very passionate person, and I do not agree myself.

Yet sharing your experience adds to our data base, Thank you. Size of tire, brand and experience adds to the knowledge base that exists here.
I only say this because I hate FB and other sites to get information on. It is so Flippant and Jokingly presented that it is worthless information. On occasion we too are a bit opinionated but for good reason. It is about our experiences.

And for me I am old and like the tried and true things that work. When I saw the FORTNINE vid I was sold. TOTALLY.

Keep up the experiences of your voyage, Please. Ride safe brother

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
@GhostRider32, the double sarcasm buried in facetiousness lost me for a minute. Well done!

However, mentally I couldn't let it go. I don't get 'DARKSIDING' a motorcycle. There is no logic to it, in my mind. I just don't understand. The *only* argument FOR 'darksiding' is PRICE VS MILES. Car tires cost less and reportedly last longer on a motorcycle. If you are that CHEAP, get into a different hobby.

PHYSICS mandate that there WILL BE a difference in ride, handling, agility of a motorcycle with a car tire on the rear. PERIOD.

Those of us of who feel and use the feedback of our motorcycles can tell the difference between a new, fully crowned rear motorcycle tire and a worn, less crowned rear tire. Putting a car tire, which is essentially a flat-top-haircut, on the back of motorcycle is GOING TO impact the handling characteristics. PERIOD. It is physics.

It is YOUR MOTORCYCLE and you are absolutely permitted to modify it to your liking and preference. That is 100% acceptable, it is your right and is supported. However, don't kid yourself or lie to us that there is no change in the ride of a 'darkside' tire over an appropriate motorcycle tire. For those that DO say there is no difference going to the 'darkside', the rest of us throw the .

I will now get off of the speech stump...

Ride safe,
Smokier
Well, by gosh, if there's no logic to it in your mind then, I don't care. There's millions of people around the globe who see no logic in riding a motorcycle at all. They say it's too dangerous. I guess we should all take our bikes to the junk yard and leave them there since others see no logic in riding.

Since you have no experience with actual darksiding, I'll consider most of what you said to be an assumption based on your nonexistent darkside experience and not actual, verifiable experience. Take your "only" comment for example. How would you know this with no experience? From actual experience in a rainstorm, I can attest to the fact that wet braking is much better with a car tire on the rear. This is not inexperienced hyperbole, this comes from someone who's been there more than a few times.

Reading comprehension is always important. Per your third section on handling, your post indicates that either I'm lying about the handling or can't tell the difference yet on the very first line of my first post, I said, "It doesn't lean as easy as a motorcycle tire but for me, it leans easy enough." I guess your BS flag lends "street" cred your your argument.......

It's interesting that you say that it's my motorcycle and I am "permitted", " 100% acceptable", and "supported" in my endeavor to modify it as I want. That's a far cry from your determination in your first section that if I am "that CHEAP, get into a different hobby." So which is it? Am I "permitted, accepted, and supported" or do I need a different hobby and what qualifies you to be the determinant?

There's a one word difference between your opinion of darksiding and mine. It's called FREEDOM. Freedom to ride as I wish with out others coming along saying to get another hobby if I don't configure my bike the way they think I should. Freedom to modify my bike how I see fit and enjoy it that way I like it and the freedom to spend my money when, where, why, and how I want too. I'm not "permitted" by you or anyone else to modify my bike as I see fit, I have the freedom to do so because of the sacrifices so many have made and I appreciate those sacrifices so therefore, I use my freedoms to modify my bike as I want.

To me, what the worst part about this whole thread is, I didn't start this thread to tell anyone that darksiding is better than a motorcycle tire and made it perfectly clear that it doesn't lean as easy. I started this thread to let others know my experience and then they could use that information in their decision whether to darkside or not. I guess free thought and exchange of ideas only works when you think a certain way......

Old 08-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #29

Thumbs Up

Here is the great things about this FORUM. It is a place where we all come to share knowledge, experiences and discuss a common passion. Opinions will vary, but then, that is what makes the world go around.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 08-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #30
Top Contributor

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.