Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Exclamation Mark Fuel Pump ?

Yesterday I was on a 190 mile trip, stopped for gas at about 145 mile mark. Got back on the freeway and shortly after the engine cut out. Pulled off to the side, turned key off, back on and it started right up. A couple time on the rest of the trip, the bike sputtered like it lost power but picked back up. A couple other times, it did shut off, but was able to reach up and turn the key off and back on and the engine came back on.

Never can tell if the warning light comes on prior to or after shutting off as it's completely random. Doesnt appear to be over hearing, oil levels are fine, only guess is something with the fuel. Oddly enough it happened just after getting a full tank.

I figured I'd see how it was this morning and again, same thing on the 5 mile ride so far.
I dont really want to tow the bike home almost 200 miles and dont really want to ride the whole way with such and possibly cause more problems. Any ideas to check quickly?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

You've described the symptoms of a failing fuel pump, but other causes are possible as well.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 06-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #3

Did you try wiggling the key rather than turning it off and on? Hard to do I know depending on when it acts up.
What's ur ride?.................Mike

Old 06-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Yesterday I was on a 190 mile trip, stopped for gas at about 145 mile mark. Got back on the freeway and shortly after the engine cut out. Pulled off to the side, turned key off, back on and it started right up. A couple time on the rest of the trip, the bike sputtered like it lost power but picked back up. A couple other times, it did shut off, but was able to reach up and turn the key off and back on and the engine came back on.

Never can tell if the warning light comes on prior to or after shutting off as it's completely random. Doesnt appear to be over hearing, oil levels are fine, only guess is something with the fuel. Oddly enough it happened just after getting a full tank.

I figured I'd see how it was this morning and again, same thing on the 5 mile ride so far.
I dont really want to tow the bike home almost 200 miles and dont really want to ride the whole way with such and possibly cause more problems. Any ideas to check quickly?
If you can, drain the fuel from the tank into a container you can see the bottom. You might have picked up a slug of water. I have seen this happen before.

Doesn't have to be a lot but it can sure make a bad day of it.
The fuel island pumps should filter this out but if the fuel filters are not changed out or bypassed the trash can end up in your tank.

The fact that you just fueled up makes me suspect fuel contamination.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeAss View Post
You've described the symptoms of a failing fuel pump, but other causes are possible as well.
Well, it made it the whole way back, probably shut off about 7-8 times, but never had to stop, just turned key while riding.
Is there a way to check the fuel pump before buying a new one for $600+?
What else could it be?
I am pretty sure it's the fuel system as I noticed FI displayed on LED when restarting it a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Did you try wiggling the key rather than turning it off and on? Hard to do I know depending on when it acts up.
What's ur ride?.................Mike
No, just slightly off and back on.

Sorry, forgot that earlier.
2005 Nomad 1600
52k miles
Regular maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
If you can, drain the fuel from the tank into a container you can see the bottom. You might have picked up a slug of water. I have seen this happen before.

Doesn't have to be a lot but it can sure make a bad day of it.
The fuel island pumps should filter this out but if the fuel filters are not changed out or bypassed the trash can end up in your tank.

The fact that you just fueled up makes me suspect fuel contamination.
I was thinking the same, or just some gunk after 15 years built up and happened to come loose while filling up. I put some Seafoam through to see if it would help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Speaking of fuel pumps...

Have any of you used this replacement instead of OEM?

Any other aftermarket options you recommend or avoid?

Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Speaking of fuel pumps...

Have any of you used this replacement instead of OEM?

Any other aftermarket options you recommend or avoid?
Thats the one most of us order. Have used about 5 repairing my bike others bikes. Be sure and order a gasket for the tank....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 06-20-2020, 01:08 AM   #8

If you are wiggling the key and it fires back up, does not sound like a fuel issue.
Carry a voltmeter with you and when it dies, I would check the relays and fuses for power before spending money on a fuel pump.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #9

I had pretty much the exact same problem on my Yamaha C3...occasionally the engine would die....give it a minute, turn back on, BOOM..it starts and runs...and occasionally the FI light would come on while cranking...what was it? Fuel pump. Motor was getting weak...sometimes it would spin, sometimes it'd get stuck...just like a starter.
- V&H slip-ons
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 06-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Thats the one most of us order. Have used about 5 repairing my bike others bikes. Be sure and order a gasket for the tank....
Thanks for the reminder. I ordered the pump already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamej View Post
If you are wiggling the key and it fires back up, does not sound like a fuel issue.
Carry a voltmeter with you and when it dies, I would check the relays and fuses for power before spending money on a fuel pump.
Not really a wiggle of the key. I have to turn it off and back to on, just starting doing it without pulling over. Since I got back to Vegas, I've ridden it some and hasn't died, but has sputtered a couple times.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #11

This is for any of you who have been running anything but quality premium fuel with out any ethanol. Ethanol gums up not just carbs it also will gum up fuel pumps.
According to many Berryman's Chem-Dip will clean them up the carbs and soak the fuel pump for 24 hours.

The big take here is run fuel without ethanol.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by naysayer View Post
The big take here is run fuel without ethanol.
Easier said than done, in the U.S. anyway. If your bike will sit >30days use a bottle of StarTron in the tank.
- V&H slip-ons
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 06-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Sounds to me like the fuel pump. With those miles on the bike just do the deed and update to a new pump. Also, many cycle fuel pumps use short sections of fuel hose bent into a u-shape. Even though full submersion hose is used, over time it does age and fail. That happened on my BMW R1100RS, at 185,000 miles, while on my way to teach a MSF beginner course. Once I got the bike home, fuel tank off, fuel pump out, it was actually the bent fuel hose that failed. Pump was still good, but I replaced the whole assembly.

Quality fuel does help. Luckily in Wisconsin it is pretty easy to find whole gas 91 octane. Like said before, if you are running the fuel through the bike, E10 fuel is "ok". If your bike is going to sit a few weeks unridden, either do not use E10, or use a fuel stabilizer in the E10. Never store a bike with untreated E10 in the fuel tank. Certainly, never use E15 (what a load of BS that crap is) if you can.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:45 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quantum Fuel Pump

I replaced my Kawi fuel pump with a Quantum several years ago. I also bought a package of their fuel "filters" and change it every 12-18 months. There was some rust in the tank from the previous owner. I guess he let it sit empty. So, after doing what I could to clean out the tank, I figured it wise to change the filter. It's probably overkill but easy enough to do and beats walking in the deserts of AZ. My Yamaha Venture required periodic filter changes and why Kawi doesn't, doesn't make sense. Of course, much that Kawi does, doesn't make sense.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Sounds to me like the fuel pump. With those miles on the bike just do the deed and update to a new pump. Also, many cycle fuel pumps use short sections of fuel hose bent into a u-shape. Even though full submersion hose is used, over time it does age and fail. That happened on my BMW R1100RS, at 185,000 miles, while on my way to teach a MSF beginner course. Once I got the bike home, fuel tank off, fuel pump out, it was actually the bent fuel hose that failed. Pump was still good, but I replaced the whole assembly.

Quality fuel does help. Luckily in Wisconsin it is pretty easy to find whole gas 91 octane. Like said before, if you are running the fuel through the bike, E10 fuel is "ok". If your bike is going to sit a few weeks unridden, either do not use E10, or use a fuel stabilizer in the E10. Never store a bike with untreated E10 in the fuel tank. Certainly, never use E15 (what a load of BS that crap is) if you can.
New pump arrived today, new gasket hopefully on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
I replaced my Kawi fuel pump with a Quantum several years ago. I also bought a package of their fuel "filters" and change it every 12-18 months. There was some rust in the tank from the previous owner. I guess he let it sit empty. So, after doing what I could to clean out the tank, I figured it wise to change the filter. It's probably overkill but easy enough to do and beats walking in the deserts of AZ. My Yamaha Venture required periodic filter changes and why Kawi doesn't, doesn't make sense. Of course, much that Kawi does, doesn't make sense.
Yeah, I was thinking the same and the Quantum was only $70.