Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

'97 Classic VN1500D2 issue

Have my nomad in the shed for some maintenance projects so thought I'd bring the Classic out to ride. Couldn't get it started in the shed, battery was charged up, but she'd been sitting for a few months over the winter. Pushed it out to the yard, still no start.....so I jumped it from my car. Car wasn't running, just hooked up the batteries, neg to neg and pos to pos. Started up without any problem. Went to disconnet from the bike battery and there was a small puff of smoke from under the side cover next to the neg terminal. Bike was running ok, so I kinda dismissed it. Rode it over to the carport without problems. Turned it off and left. Today, put the key in and there's nothing.....no lights come on, nada. Battery is at 12 volts and there's power to the starter relay. Cleaned it and changed the 20 amp fuse, also changed the 10 amp IG in the fuse box. No change. Key on and nada.

So, culprits could be starter relay, IC igniter, or.........? What worries me is that the igniter is right there at the neg terminal, and it's not available from Revzilla, Partzilla, etc.

Thoughts or experiences.......anyone......?

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2020, 10:43 PM   #2

Small puff of smoke tells me a wire burnt, component ground, shorted, melted plastic....probably a short to ground.
Check fuse box, starter relay with master fuse....look around....a puff of smoke burn you will probably find on something. Or at least some melted plastic....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 04-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #3

HI Trapper,,,,since battery was issue, I just had same problem, I had a agm battery that just quit when turning key on,,no lights, nada, only put out 9v after trying to charge,,I got a new battery, 59.00 ebay, and it runs and starts great. Sometimes batteries just quickly die. DragonLady is one of the best diagnostic mechanics here and not trying to step on any shoes, but maybe do a quick test of battery voltage with a voltmeter and if its not at least 12.6 volts its probably shorted out and time for a new one, or jump off a car again, bypassing the old bike batttery, if it starts good its the battery is a goner,,,,good luck and let us know the results,,,,,,Mike in Sun DIego

Old 04-13-2020, 11:47 PM   #4

Popped a cell in my Nomad battery after killing the motor in a drive-thru...went to restart and everything went dead...

Buddy went to start his Ascot after a Winter sleep on a Tender and battery checked okay on the Tender and read 12.8v but made no effort to click the solenoid or turn the starter. So it had 12.8v but the amperage of a watch battery...

Check your battery...
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #5

Thanks to all who responded. Special thanks to DL again, she was spot on with the burnt, grounded wire. Took the battery out, pulled the wire harness up and away from the frame and there it was. Fixed, put back together and good as new.

Will be riding this one in the morning to check it out.

THANKS!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2020, 11:55 PM   #6

Glad you found it....just giving back to the community since wrenched at the Dealership for over 35 years....
Let us know how she does....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 04-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #7

Went for a short 20 mile ride today. The old girl sure seemed to like stretching her legs! Rode great, ran great, made ME feel great. I've ridden one of my bikes almost every day since the weather turned good, now we're facing a week of rain here! PITA WA!

Old 04-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #8

I would welcome a week of rain. We had a blizzard here in NY yesterday. Every day for the next week is rain/snow mix and high of 50. Definitely getting frustrating! Ride safe and stay healthy everyone!