Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Russell Day Long on my Classic

I bought a used Russell Day Long saddle set for my Classic 1600, got both the front and rear seat set for $200, along with a set of V&H True Duals for $200. Even got a pair of saddlebag liners, factory service manual (though I have one already) and a rain cover for the seat set. Thanks to whoever found this deal on craigslist in Merdian MS, which allowed me to work the deal with the seller even though I'm in Green Bay WI. I do a lot of work in Louisville MS so it worked out well on my business trips to bring the parts back as "baggage" on my Delta flights home.

Got maybe 200 miles on the seat and gotta say it is great. I sit at least an inch higher and a bit more forward on the bike than with the Mustang seat, so it opens up my hip angle a bit more, which leads to more comfort. I'm only 5'-6" but can still just flat foot it at stops. When riding two up I'll be firmly grounded at stops. The "wings" on the Russell are really firm and support my thighs to take some of the sitting load. But I also can push the bike backwards easier now by pushing back against the wings.

My wife hasn't ridden on it yet, but a test sit with the tail box mounted got positive reviews already. It raises her up also so she actually can see over me which she really likes. Some may not like the look of the Russell seat, but I think it looks fine on a cruiser style bike, better than on a Gold Wing or BMW. Overall I am VERY pleased with this seat upgrade. So now I have a nice Mustang seat set for sale, with a rider and passenger backrest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TailTrunk1.jpg (97.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Tailtrunk2.jpg (96.8 KB, 17 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #2

You will really appreciate the RDL seat on a trip, 500+ miles a day are no problem.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #3

A year or so ago I hooked up my brother (not a forum guy, shame on him!) with a RDL for his 1600 Nomad. It was almost as good of a deal as the one you scored. They are truly amazing seats! A Mustang doesn't compare as far as my a$$ is concerned :-) but some folks like them. Be sure to post it over in Classifieds>Parts and Accessories.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #4

Thats Cheap for a RDL. Some guys want that much for the stock seat.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 09-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
Advanced Member

THAT's why I grabbed it! It was either on this forum or perhaps some other forum which usually berates dumb-ass craigslist posts, like bike scams or horrid butchered bikes at stupid prices by inept "builders."

But someone posted on a forum about what he found on a local craigslist for the RDL seat set and V&H pipe set begin sold as a deal not to pass up. From Green Bay WI I found the posting in central MS, contacted the seller and made the deal. Took almost two months before I got down there to see/buy the goods. The seller was really great to hang onto the parts until I got down there. He was a former Vulcan Classic rider that felt great another Vulcan forum member (me) found the deal. WELL worth the effort!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by andyvh1959; 09-05-2019 at 06:35 PM.