Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #31

Copy that Dragon Lady. My new plugs came in yesterday and I will install soon. Thanks to all that have replied with opinions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #32

Ok - I installed my new plugs and set the gap at midway of range in manual. Now sometimes it does not start as good as it did with the old plugs. It's almost like it's flooded out. It runs fine when started, gets some of the highest MPGs I've ever gotten. I need to see what the gap on the old plug was to see how near the gap I set the new ones at.

Oh and I put Antisieze and some slippy stuff (can't remember what I used) on the insulator of the plug to help the boot split on.

Any thoughts on why it wouldn't start as good?

Old 04-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #33

Well, could have cracked plugs, you know that UPS, Fed Ex, and the like sometimes like to play football with the packages....
Pull your boots off, wipe the top of the plug off with alcohol on a rag and wipe out the inside of the boot, too. If whatever lube leaves a trail down to the metal case...it could possibly cause misfiring. Some lubes conduct really well causing a short.

Also, make sure your boots are engaging good and fully seated with the sparkplug wires. Did your metal ends come off inside the boot when you pulled the boots off? Sometimes, you have to take to boot apart and tighten the connector up if the boots were really stuck to the plugs. You should feel the metal up inside the boot engaging on top of the plug when you put it on. If not, somethings wrong....
Also, wait till its night, crank your bike up, let it sit on its side stand, and look around your plug boot for arcing.
Is it running rough? Is it missing? Look at the # on the plugs and make sure they sent you the right ones....sometimes the moron fills in for folks at their job site.
Pull your plugs again, and make sure no anti-seize got on your electrodes.....they should run as good or better than the ones you took out if properly gapped!
Hope this helps....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 04-08-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #34

Thanks - Lots to ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Well, could have cracked plugs, you know that UPS, Fed Ex, and the like sometimes like to play football with the packages....
Pull your boots off, wipe the top of the plug off with alcohol on a rag and wipe out the inside of the boot, too. If whatever lube leaves a trail down to the metal case...it could possibly cause misfiring. Some lubes conduct really well causing a short.

Also, make sure your boots are engaging good and fully seated with the sparkplug wires. Did your metal ends come off inside the boot when you pulled the boots off? Sometimes, you have to take to boot apart and tighten the connector up if the boots were really stuck to the plugs. You should feel the metal up inside the boot engaging on top of the plug when you put it on. If not, somethings wrong....
Also, wait till its night, crank your bike up, let it sit on its side stand, and look around your plug boot for arcing.
Is it running rough? Is it missing? Look at the # on the plugs and make sure they sent you the right ones....sometimes the moron fills in for folks at their job site.
Pull your plugs again, and make sure no anti-seize git on your electrodes.....they should run as good or better than the ones you took out if properly gapped!
Hope this helps....
Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.

I'll have to take it back apart again and check things out.

On the 1700 the plug is way down in a hole and the plug wire snaps into the plasti-chrome head cover. I'm gonna guess the plug wire end is about 3 inches long with a rib that seats in that cover. I was unable to feel when the plug wire snapped onto the plug - I did get them seated in the cover.

The rear plug went down in the hole just fine - It stayed in the spark plug socket until I threaded it.

The front plug slipped out of the socket and fell into the hole - then I put the socket in to thread it. Maybe I hit the electrode or something when it went into the hole.

As for the Anti-seize - just a find little film on the threads with a little 1/4 inch brush.

It will be hard to get it dark anywhere that thing is running since I put in the LED headlight bulb - I'll listen for ticking. I'm an old snowmobiler - had my share of spark plug ticking in back in the day.

Again - thanks for the list - I'll start the process.

Mike

Old 04-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #35

Yea, dropping that plug business end first down in the hole isn't good....thats why I Use the 3/8s gas line on the plug. Cut yourself 2 pieces, 1pc. 4" long & 1pc. 6" long....push the top of the plug into the hose to where its pretty snug....stick it into the recess and screw it in. I do this on all plugs. You should be able to screw the plug almost all the way in....
Then, finish off with socket, extension and torque wrench....Thats important for heat transfer of the plug....
Use whichever length that will hold plug good and will stick out of the recess enough for you to grasp it good and turn comfortably with your fingers.
After its in, pull the hose straight & gently twist, should slide right on off.
Don't go shoving it up in the hose to the hilt, just push it into the hose till its held firmly. The whole idea is to use the hose as a plug socket & extension, and you won't be able to screw it in hard enough to damage the threads.
If the hose wants to bend slightly if you cut it off a roll....soak the hose in some really hot water, reverse the bend till its straight and let it cool off....should stay straight....or find a piece of formed 3/8' line and cut from that. Your favorite auto parts store will help you out....
I have a collection of them for different bikes....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 04-08-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #36

DragonLady58 Thanks again for your insight. Yesterday I added another sysmptom - I turned on the AM radio. I mean the AM radio that used to be usable. All I got was Popping and clicking. I wonder if these the new plugs are Not Resistor plugs. Hmmm... Now I have to find time to tear it apart and tinker with it. Just so you know - It was 70+ degrees here yesterday for the first time since last fall. I chose to ride. It still runs OK, Didn't have any problem starting yesterday. I'll continue my search on a rainy day. Note - my wife forced me to ride. Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #37

Update!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
DragonLady58 Thanks again for your insight. Yesterday I added another sysmptom - I turned on the AM radio. I mean the AM radio that used to be usable. All I got was Popping and clicking. I wonder if these the new plugs are Not Resistor plugs. Hmmm... Now I have to find time to tear it apart and tinker with it. Just so you know - It was 70+ degrees here yesterday for the first time since last fall. I chose to ride. It still runs OK, Didn't have any problem starting yesterday. I'll continue my search on a rainy day. Note - my wife forced me to ride. Thanks again.
Well I started looking through my manual to see what the GAP should be after checking my old plugs which were at .043in. Then I found the problem. Under specifications it states - Spark plug gap = 1.0 - 1.1mm (0.031 - .035 in) Then back on the Electrical system Spark Plug Condition Inspection page is says Spark plug gap = 1.0 - 1.1mm (0.039 - .043 in). Someone in the Kawasaki Editor Department missed that one.

I reset the plugs at .042 and all is well - Starts better. It was raining so I didn't ride it. But I think we're gonna be good.

Thanks to all who helped.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:42 AM   #38

I'm not sure why you just didn't set the gap to 1.0 - 1.1mm in the first place Mike?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Well I started looking through my manual to see what the GAP should be after checking my old plugs which were at .043in. Then I found the problem. Under specifications it states - Spark plug gap = 1.0 - 1.1mm (0.031 - .035 in) Then back on the Electrical system Spark Plug Condition Inspection page is says Spark plug gap = 1.0 - 1.1mm (0.039 - .043 in). Someone in the Kawasaki Editor Department missed that one.
WOW, Nice catch. Good to know stuff

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #40

I'm not giving it!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I'm not sure why you just didn't set the gap to 1.0 - 1.1mm in the first place Mike?
I'm one of those old guys who thinks that SAE is the right way and that this Metric conversion is just a fad and I'm not gonna give up. Hey has any one seen my 10mm socket?

To be honest - I'm gonna have to go look at my feeler gauges and see if I turn them over they have Metric on the Other Side - Never Looked. Actually I was amazed I had a set of feeler gauges. Actually I'm amazed I could spell gauges without using spell check.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #41

I even Checked My Soft Copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
WOW, Nice catch. Good to know stuff
This morning I even checked the Soft Copy I have on my Computer and sure enough
Page 2-14 (Wrong) Page 1-40 (Correct)

Old 04-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #42

The sad part is - In some conversation the other day I quoted someone the Spark Plug Gap Spec - I even gave them a screen shot of the manual. Wonder who that was?? Hmmmm. I'm sure it was on FaceBook. One of the 4 or 5 Vulcan/Vaquero/Voyager/1700 pages I belong to.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #43

Iridiums for sale

Down here in S. Fla there are not many 1700's anymore...I used to have them coming outa my ears, and I kept plugs in stock even tho these plugs go 50,000+ miles easily.

I still have 2 sets of plugs that need new homes, so I'll let them go for $27.00 a pair including ground shipping to the 48 states.

RACNRAY

Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Down here in S. Fla there are not many 1700's anymore...I used to have them coming outa my ears, and I kept plugs in stock even tho these plugs go 50,000+ miles easily.

I still have 2 sets of plugs that need new homes, so I'll let them go for $27.00 a pair including ground shipping to the 48 states.

RACNRAY
I'll take a pair/set Ray. I will PM you... Paypal, right?
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115