Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #1

Question Price or Word-smithing?

Greetings All,

Have not gotten ANY nibbles on the 2012 Vaquero's AD from ANYWHERE...

So am asking is it a PRICE issue or a Word Smithing issue?

Here is the "ad" that has been posted, anyone interested in providing USEFUL suggestions/recommendations?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
2012 Vulcan Vaquero Carbon Metallic Grey with black accent stripes. 1700CC (103.7ci), 6 speed, AM/FM/AUX, Cruise. Dual front disc brake, disc rear with belt drive. Fixed fairing with medium height Cee Bailey windscreen. 41,600 trouble-free miles.
1 owner, full synthetic oil and filter changes every 5k miles. New plugs, air filter, fluids changed at scheduled maintenance miles. Michelin Commander II tires front and back, very good tread remaining. Maintenance records available.
• Racin’ Ray’s throttle modification.
• Ivan’s Performance ECU tune, version III
• Cee Bailey Medium light smoke windshield
• Kuryakyn Transformer grips.
• Kuryakyn Longhorn dually highway pegs.
• ScootWerks Phat II Risers
• Chuckter’s Custom hitch.
• Luverne Lowering links (3/4” rear)
• Gel pad seat.
• Factory 12v power outlet.
• Debaffled stock exhaust

This is a great motorcycle. We have two of them and have enjoyed many short and long distance trips. Great for town to town runs, or all day in the saddle. Set the cruise, crank the tunes and enjoy the open road.
More pictures available upon request.
$6500 (no trades please, cash is king.)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Thanks in advance,
Ride safe,
Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokier; 04-13-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

I had my motorcycle and trailer on here and another forum for about half a year with out any bites. When i put them on Craigslist the bike sold to someone out of state in a month or so but the trailer did not go. I put the trailer on eBay and received 2 people that absolutely wanted it within the first 24 hours.

The new owner of my bike didn't want the hitch and asked me to remove it. I first put it on here with only 2 bites but they weren't serious about it so it also went on eBay, it sold in 2 weeks.

Last edited by mike58; 04-13-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: grammer

Old 04-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #3

I didn't see it on cycle trader. Where do you have it listed? With as many bikes out there for sale, you need to use every option you can to sell it. FB, Craigslist, cycletrader, ect...

Plus the weather still isn't real great yet. My son has his Fury for sale and only hits are people trying to trade him junk

The price and listing is good. Cheapest on on cycle traded is $7700

Now if you dropped the price to say $3500 I think you would sell it quicker.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 04-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
Top Contributor

First of all where are you putting the ads ?
My guess is very few bikes are sold via this forum.

Things that might put me off in the ad would be the mileage, (67,000 kilometres) and the trailer hitch.
We both know (having been 1700 owners) that 41,600 miles is not a lot of miles for these bikes but it might put some people off who are not familiar with the brand.

A trailer hitch on any vehicle be it a motorcycle or a car always has me asking more questions, what did you tow, the weight, and how often.

Some people might not like a bike that has performance mods or one that is lowered.
Debaffling the stock exhaust might put some people off.

I would remove the above items from the ad (ECU mods, debaffling, lowered, trailer hitch) and see if you get more enquiries.

If you get some enquiries via email try and get the people to call you for more information, then try and get them to come and see the bike.

Getting people there to see the bike is vital and the content of the ad and where you place the ad is the first and most important step.

If you get someone to come and see the bike at that point you can explain the mods in detail and "sell" the value of the mods to the prospective new owner.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses guys.
It is here, the two Victory Forums, Craigslist, and the local credit union swap sheet.
No cycletrader or ebay yet...

Agreed, the miles might be an issue, but nothing I can do about that. Suppose it could not be mentioned and wait for them to ask...
Interesting thoughts on the "Performance" related mods, RedJay. When I "renew" on Craiglist and the swapsheet, will drop the perf mod references...

Same price and listing in all five locations. Figured here and on the Victory Forums those would be appreciated. But will try without to see if they are slowing interest.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #6

You need to say it's a Kawasaki Vaquero.
A lot of people don't know what a Vulcan is.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 04-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

I agree with redjay. I would remove ECU mods, debaffling, lowered, trailer hitch from all ads.
Trailer hitch on a bike is like posting a truck with a plow around here.
Brings up a lot of questions.
Took me over a year to sell my Nomad and then I sold it $2000 below book to get it out of my garage.

I would not put anything worth a lot of money on ebay, they rape you on the selling fees.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Top Contributor

I don't think people go to a motorcycle forum looking to buy a bike. I know I don't.

I have sold parts on the forum, but never a complete bike.
I use local ads for that. Kijiji in Ontario is my go to source when I am looking to buy or sell. I don't think you have that in the U.S ?

Craigslist is used only as a last resort if I am looking for something.
I never place an ad on there.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
You need to say it's a Kawasaki Vaquero.
A lot of people don't know what a Vulcan is.

A lot of people don't know what a Vaquero, Voyager or Nomad is, even friends of mine with motorcycles

Old 04-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

Again, thanks for the input. OK, will remove those potential trouble areas in the AD.
Am working on the CycleTrader account...

Thanks again!
Smokier

Old 04-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I agree with redjay. I would remove ECU mods, debaffling, lowered, trailer hitch from all ads.
Trailer hitch on a bike is like posting a truck with a plow around here.
Brings up a lot of questions.
Took me over a year to sell my Nomad and then I sold it $2000 below book to get it out of my garage.

I would not put anything worth a lot of money on ebay, they rape you on the selling fees.

I had 2 people come to see my Voyager when it was up for sale. It was up for sale all summer.

The 2nd person bought the bike.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

One other possible solution, a bit far fetched.

Smokier,
Could Just be the FREEKIN WEATHER also. I been crying myself to sleep every night this last week.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 04-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #13

I think 1 big problem is that most people haves no idea what a Vaquero is or Voyager. When trying to sell my '98 Voyager XII, was impossible to get any interest from Craigslist. Too many bikes! I would park the bike at the end of my driveway on a county road and got a lot of people to stop and take a look. Most all thought it was a Gold Wing. Had no idea Kawasaki made a bike like that. Try to find a secure spot by major highway and more people will show interest. Most will think it is a Harley and then realize what a great bike they are.
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Old 04-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Time of year where you're located. I think the price is fine. Some people, myself included, prefer an unmodified bike. The more a bike is customized, the greater the chance it's not someone's cup of tea, no matter how much money sunk in. Not saying that's necessarily the case with yours, but it's a factor. I would say have a lot of good high res pictures from different angles. If it's clean and looks good in pictures, that's half the battle.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #15

2012 Kawasaki Vaquero for sale - Many mods, 41,000 miles - $6,500 rides it home. Come check it out. Post a picture.

Now for me I went to Google and looked up a 2012 Vaquero and Carbon Metallic Gray was not one of the option - RED FLAG - move on.

Just my opinion - Way to wordy - Keep it Simple - Most used buyers are looking for that cool bike - All that techie stuff - Who cares.