Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Basic heads work

Since I'll be pulling the engine from my Classic to repair 2nd gear (either an engine replacement or a rebuild, haven't decided yet) I'd like to make sure the factory heads are optimized for performance. I want a good running, reliable but stronger than stock engine. My bike already has the Baron intake, Power Commander, V&H Bigshot pipes and all the Gadgets mods applied. I also have a map switch so I can run two fuel/air maps for fun and touring.

So if I use the Classic heads/cams or end up with a set of Meanie heads/cams are there reasonable head mods a capable home mechanic can do? I still want the power band where I can use it best for general riding and two up touring, maybe a bit better umph for passing. For all I know, basics are to clean up any rough spots in the intake and exhaust in the heads, match the porting to the intake and exhaust, smooth out the exhaust ports but leave the intakes alone except for cleaning up the obvious.

Do the stock Classic or Meanie heads need much to make them flow a bit better? Is there anything to do that is worth the time?

Login or Register to Remove Ads