Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

Cobra Fi2000r fuel management system installed in a 1600 Nomad

Anyone ever have issues with the Cobra Fi2000r fuel management system? I installed one on my 08 1600 Nomad along with true duals exhaust system. After a few rides I noticed the RPMs would increase randomly, and the only way to bring it down was to partially engage the clutch. I haven’t wanted to play with the settings yet. Any ideas? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

They are junk. Same thing when I tried one on my 08 Nomad.
Ended up using a Doebeck
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #3

When I had my Nomad (07), it had the same pipes but with Chucksters intake.
The Cobra unit I found to be very basic but did the job for me. There are better ones out there these days with more control...just depends on your budget I guess.
1 - Is the unit second hand ? Maybe faulty either way
2 - Are the connectors on the correct injectors ? I can't remember if they go either way ??
3 - Best results I found were to follow the tune up procedure in the manual.
Cheers, Pete.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #4

Don't forget to check the connections at battery. There is a diagnostic mode that you should run prior to deciding that your tuner is defective. The Cobra 2000 with true duals was installed on my old Nomad, same year exhaust etc as yours, nearly 34k ago. Unless you have a defective unit, it does work, if settings are adjusted correctly. Watch the marks VERY carefully. The nearly invisible dots are easily confused on the three pots. The 1600 is not a hot rod and the tuner is NOT a high-performance tuner. Anybody tells you that it will add horsepower and improve torque response was sold a bill of goods. It will help to overcome decel popping and a bit of mid-range-hesitation at roll-on. That is it.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

You don’t mention if you have a free flowing aftermarket R side intake, it’s a must. After that is installed, clean throttle bodies, adjust throttle, then adjust Cobra as per instructions. I’ve used mine for about 10 yrs. Had a problem with one of the connections breaking a few years ago, they replaced at no charge.

Login or Register to Remove Ads