Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #46

I looked it up: In California, lane splitting is not specifically illegal and there are no limits on vehicle speeds for the cars or the bikes. It is allowed only because it is not specially illegal. It is specifically illegal in most (all?) other states.

Because it is specifically prohibited in most other states and there are many folks from other states driving in California at any given time, it's nuts to assume that all drivers would be looking out for lane splitters. However, if it's legal there and someone wants to do it, who am I to get upset that they do.

I DO get upset when I see someone lane splitting where it is illegal, though, just like I get upset when someone uses the emergency strip to pass right or left, or someone fails to stop when a bus is letting children off, etc.

Maybe if it became commonplace across the country and there were some limits placed on what conditions it could be done in (highways with wider lanes and marked as OK for lane splitting, traffic under some speed, like 10 - 15 mph and the bikes could only go 5 - 10 mph faster, for example) I might consider it, but I doubt it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #47
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
I looked it up: In California, lane splitting is not specifically illegal and there are no limits on vehicle speeds for the cars or the bikes. It is allowed only because it is not specially illegal. It is specifically illegal in most (all?) other states.

Because it is specifically prohibited in most other states and there are many folks from other states driving in California at any given time, it's nuts to assume that all drivers would be looking out for lane splitters. However, if it's legal there and someone wants to do it, who am I to get upset that they do.

I DO get upset when I see someone lane splitting where it is illegal, though, just like I get upset when someone uses the emergency strip to pass right or left, or someone fails to stop when a bus is letting children off, etc.

Maybe if it became commonplace across the country and there were some limits placed on what conditions it could be done in (highways with wider lanes and marked as OK for lane splitting, traffic under some speed, like 10 - 15 mph and the bikes could only go 5 - 10 mph faster, for example) I might consider it, but I doubt it.
Better recheck your source because it is legal. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...utICQ3a3GovMGJ
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #48
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
What ever! Tissue anyone😪?
You live in a helmet law state. What do you feel about people in states that don't have mandatory helmet laws? I live in such a state and could care less what people do or don't where.

Send me your address and I'll ship you a case of toilet paper for crap coming out of your mouth.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 AM   #49

Damn! I'm strapping a skillet on top of my head now......

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #50
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Send me your address and I'll ship you a case of toilet paper for crap coming out of your mouth.

Key board tough guy. Let it go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby surprise_zpsfb2e392b.jpg (12.4 KB, 2 views)

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #51
Top Contributor

Quote:
Key board tough guy. Let it go....
Now ain't that funny coming from mr 2x4 man.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #52
Advanced Member

All crap put to the side, if I ever make it out to Colorado you gonna have to show me some the best riding roads in Coli. That’s one of my future plans to tour that side of the country.

Now continue on.....🤭

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #53

I see I’m a little late to the party.
I think enough has been said.
Let this go.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Last edited by BudMan; 01-09-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #54
Top Contributor

Quote:
All crap put to the side, if I ever make it out to Colorado you gonna have to show me some the best riding roads in Coli. That’s one of my future plans to tour that side of the country.

Now continue on.....🤭

We can bury the proverbial "2x4"?

I'll send you a pm with my email.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Better recheck your source because it is legal. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...utICQ3a3GovMGJ
The California DMV should update their web pages, because that was my source.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #56

Interesting comments.

I travel to Southern California quite often for business and usually am driving a rental car.

Most of the bikers I see lane splitting are totally breaking the law that Waterman posted.

The law looks to be written very clearly and well but unfortunately we have many that just abuse it.

I am a little bit of a hypocrite because I don't follow all of the traffic laws 100% of the time either. I have been known to have a heavy throttle when I hit the wide open spaces.😎

I have only been down in SoCal on my bike once when lane splitting was legal but traffic was never going slow enough (30 or slower) for me to give it a try. When driving much faster I just couldn't fathom a reason to do it.

Some of those videos were tough to watch. I could see fault on both sides.

Ride safe everybody!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 01-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #57

P.S. I read a few articles on lane splitting a few years back. My understanding is lane splitting is beneficial for the flow of all traffic including cars and trucks. Make sense when you think about it. Obviously it needs to be executed correctly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 01-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #58
Advanced Member

Here in Bama we really don't have the need for splitting being as we don't have hugh cities such as the ones in Cali. Our large cities have several exits on the freeways and overpasses if you need shade. People tend to give way on the shoulder of the roadway for the bikes in hot weather.

We do have the helmet law. First time I rode to the beach and dropped off down into Florida (while of 2 lane roads) and didn't know it at the time, I passed a pack of bikes that it blow my mind. I thought what the hell is this all about?! Where's their helmets? Personally, I have to wear one due to a prior motorcycle accident. Had a 3/4 skull plate for a short time but they removed it due to sand particles coming out of the crack in my skull. Never had it put back. 30 years later the crack is getting wide. I thought if Evil Knievel could do it I could too. I was right!! I got 3 months in the hospital but I didn't charge admission for my jump failure.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #59
Advanced Member

Take a look at the videos and tell me again what a brilliant idea lane-splitting is. I don't care if it's legal or not you've got to be out of your mind to do it. If you're loopy enough to dodon't complain when you wind up in one of these videos. Smoking is legal to. It may as well take it up if you're going to Lane split. Really test your luck. I continue not to get it.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
Take a look at the videos and tell me again what a brilliant idea lane-splitting is. I don't care if it's legal or not you've got to be out of your mind to do it. If you're loopy enough to dodon't complain when you wind up in one of these videos. Smoking is legal to. It may as well take it up if you're going to Lane split. Really test your luck. I continue not to get it.
What do I get for doing both?