Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Ultra-Tow Tag-Along Trailer Kit

Is anyone here using the Ultra-Tow Tag-Along Trailer Kit from Norther Tool + Equipment? The specs on this trailer state that it has a maximum towing speed of 45 mph, which is obviously ridiculous for almost any use. I'm thinking it's probably something their lawyers insisted on, so I'm curious if anyone here has this trailer and how you like it if you do. Also, what speeds do you tow it at.
Ivan's ECU reflash
Chuckster's Risers
Chuckster's Badge Plate
Chuckster's Trailer Hitch
Custom Shaped and Cut Lowers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #2

I built and towed one using a similar HF kit. I think the same warning was in the manual. I had no problems towing at 70 MPH. I also removed the bottom spring to soften the tow and reduce the bounce. It was a great little trailer and carried all that I needed for a weekend camping trip, etc. Check out this link. Good luck.

http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/trailer.html

Old 12-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

I did the exact same thing as mrtelefoneman1 leaf spring removal and all and i towed it for 10 years at 70 mph with no problems and yes it also had the same warning.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
Advanced Member

You get what you pay for and I am skeptical at $500. A decent trailer will run you over $1000 easily IMO

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2633_200692633

I purchased the harbor freight trailer kit years ago on sale and upon my first test ride I realized it was a piece of sh!t. The axles weren't straight and tires wobbled. The tires couldn't exceed something like 50mph. I had to change it all, only used the frame.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-l...ler-62645.html

I got a good deal on this trailer and will retire my other. Only used it once.

http://www.luggandroll.com/motorcycl...?section=13206

Old 01-03-2019, 12:40 AM   #5

I have the HF Tag-Along. NT has made a few cosmetic changes, but it is essentially the same. The main changes are bigger tires, the tongue basket, stand on the tongue, and the rear "bumper". The HF manual stated 60 mph and I have had it up to about 75, though I usually keep it below 70. I have pulled it over 15,000 miles behind the bike. I did change the tires before my trips this summer as it had been sitting for quite a while.

I don't know if NT does any better, but the very first thing to do is to check the wheel hub lubrication. The HFs come with a tablespoon of something like vasaline and call it greased. I completely cleaned that crap out and filled the hub with proper grease before it ever left the garage the first time.

Also, keep an eye on the tongue weight, especially with that basket up front. I try to keep mine no more than 40 - 42 lbs with the trailer loaded, a spare tire slung under and a 3 gal. Rotopax gas container mounted vertically right in front of the cargo box. In order to do that, heavy stuff had to go towards the rear of the cargo box and lighter stuff to the front.

Login or Register to Remove Ads