Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

I suggest that you stay away from Cobra, as their quality has gone to $*#. I had the Tri-Ovals on a 2011 Vaquero, loved them, put about 60,000 miles on them. Then bought a 2017 Vaquero and installed Tri-Flo mufflers. In less than a year both mufflers were COVERED WITH RUST SPOTS! Cobra blew me off, said that rust is not covered AT ALL, even if the mufflers are less than a year old! They said to not let water spots form on the mufflers! So I'm screwed until I can afford new mufflers.

On a lighter note, as buckey1313 said, these (and others) are bad about carbon build-up on the chrome. I found that a squirt of Goo-Gone (standard liquid, not the gel) will allow you to literally wipe the carbon off the chrome! Easy as pie!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #17

I've got the freedom exhaust.

Here a short video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #18

To me it sounds the sweetest of all the exhaust systems on the market and best looking also. Fits the bike like a glove.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #19

Quiet baffles

I recently installed a V&H Pro Pipe system but the stock baffle was too loud for my taste. After looking through it and seeing that it wasn't a straight through system, I was surprised at how loud it was. I have had other V&H systems that were straight through that were much quieter. V&H website shows a quiet baffle for this system P/N 21903, but reviews on that have been mixed with some saying it really isn't much quieter at all. I found an alternate quiet baffle P/N 21906 that is designed for the Harley version of this exhaust system but will fit in the muffler for the metric bikes. That baffle is much more substantial. I verified with V&H if it would fit before I ordered it on eBay. I was told that it would fit but be more restrictive. Fine with me. After installing it a week or so ago, I was finally able to get the bike out yesterday for a good test ride. Much better. The sound is deeper and has a calm rumble when cruising. Louder under acceleration but not too loud. Yes, this is all subjective but for those who have gone with and are unhappy or are considering the original quiet baffle, I would highly recommend this alternative.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #20

I have the Freedom Performance Liberty Slip ons. I love them. It has a nice deep tone without killing the ears. They were louder when I first put them on but seem to have mellowed out with a few miles. By no means are they quiet though. when you roll on the throttle you will be heard. Here is another thread that has some info from a couple of us with them.... Freedom Performance Slip Ons
I hope this helps a little

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrtrd View Post
I've been looking at the freedom slip ons , you can get a quiet baffle for them. I had 2 into 1 roadhouse pipe on my 1600 and I loved it, nice and deep but not loud.
I had roadhouse brand on a Kaw 800 drifter and they sounded really good. To bad they quit making them or I would have them on my 1700 if they made them for a 1700. Like you say nice and deep but not to loud.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 01-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #22

Stock Baffles

So,
Im baffled!
I have a 2015 Vaquero. I am in the process of putting
together the funds to buy a V&H ProPipe and getting a reflash.
In the meantime i thought i’d modify the stock baffles.
Ive watched a bunch of UTube videos on removing and modifying
my stock baffles including the “Drill them out” frome the rear
method with a 1 3/4” hole saw.
Anyone have any success. With modifying or removing their
Baffles, and if so, what method did you use.
Thanks

Old 01-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #23

I drilled out 2 baffles in each, watch out because the little quarter size pieces of metal will fall in the muffler and you will have to pull the mufflers off to get it out. I believe its 1 3/4 .it will sound a little deeper and just a little louder as well. They do sound very good ,I would like them a little louder.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #24

The hole saw that i used went in the pipe perfectly so u cant even tell that I drilled them out

Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #25

Hey thanks,
is there anyway to capture the rings that
are left to keep them from falling into the mufflers?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc357 View Post
Hey thanks,
is there anyway to capture the rings that
are left to keep them from falling into the mufflers?
When i did mine, the rings stayed in, and caused the most annoying rattle. I ended up cutting the ends off at the front and back of the pipes, and removing them. That also allowed me to clear out the areas of baffle that i couldn't get with just drilling. While in there, if you don't remove the center pipe that has the holes in it, you will get a whistle as you accelerate and decelerate, and believe me, it will make you want to scream! LOL With the end off, its simply wiggling the pipe until it comes free. The only downfall is that if you don't have welding skills, you will need to have someone do it for you when reconnecting. If you cut the ends off, make sure you mark them clearly where they need to meet up later on, or they wont line up with the mounting points later on. The end result only left a small area which is under my saddle bags that is missing chrome. I used primer and heat paint to protect that area afterward.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #27

Hey brother,
Thanks!
I’ll probably just do a single baffle removal
as i hope to get a complete exhaust when
i save all my pennies.
Im hopeing to gain just a little something
as far as tone and a litte volume. Removing
Just the one.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #28

What i did find is until i removed the bulk of the baffle, it wasnt as deep as i wanted, and tended to sound too tinny for me. (I did this in 3 stages until it sounded right) When the larger portion of baffles removed, it now thumps, as any v-twin should in my opinion.

Cheers

Old 01-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #29

Thanks

Old 01-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #30

Oh by the way brother,
Are the three steps you mentioned;
The outer rear baffle
The inner baffle
And the catalytic converter?
I wanted to take what i could from the rear only.
Would that be just the outer and inner baffles?