Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Looking for "SUPERIOR" Cam Chains

Is there an after market Cam Chain replacement out there superior to the Kawasaki chains for my 1999 VN1500G. The Kawasaki Cam Chain have very short life span. I do have extenders but as before, sooner or later the Cam Chains need replacing. As my Nomad gets older parts become harder to find, so would like to have new chains ready. Last time I installed Cam Chain Extenders, shortly after I did a top end rebuild. So had Kawasaki Genuine Parts installed. Now the chains have stretched out, and the tensioners are out of travel. Thanks in advance to all for your help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

The engines in the Vulcan line, the 1500/1600s are so long lived, mileage wise, theres not alot of pickins for cam chains....theres the makawa's which are expensive, then theres ones that can be had off Fleabay, and there are 2 mfg'ers that you can choose from.
As far as chain stretch, on the 1500/1600s, its just the nature of the beast. Long chain, really big engine makes for a good bit of stretch, which can be dealt with, with extenders from Chucksters Customs.....

During my vast, in depth study, theres only about 4 diff, sources for cam chains....Stock Kawa stuff, ebay, and the mfgers....
Read up on Micks cam chain extender measurements....
http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...t=48021&page=2
As far as replacement parts, scour ebay, and collect parts that you'll need, if you plan on keeping your bike. Things like starter relays, regulator/stators, 90 Degree drives, gaskets, clutches, starters, hose sets, etc.
Things like that, plus others, will have you riding again fast should your bike go down for repair of these parts....parts for these bikes are gonna get alot harder to find the next 10 years.
Already, there are cheap chinese knockoffs popping up, like the $25-45 regulators that have waaaaay too light a wiring harness coming outta them, melting the leads. While the MaKawa items are expensive, they are quality items....
I installed Caltric regulators and caltric stators....the stator wires being easily over twice the size of the wires going to and fro on the regulators. They lasted 2 years, then melted the leads....
Electrosport items are almost as good as stock (regs and stators), while being a good bit cheaper than the stock items.
Do searches, read up, and choose wisely....We have alot of wrenches here on this site, should you need help, we will try and help you out. Alot of us know which brands last longest.....
Alot of the guys should be by shortly....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 11-27-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Replaced both staters and regulator/rectifiers this past summer, stock parts. Wasn't taking any chances with aftermarket. Have been riding this bike for quite some time, purchased with only 24,000km. Love this bike, beautiful balance. It did have a lot of aftermarket parts but when I did the top end rebuild changed everything machanical back to factory. But at 68 don't know how many more riding years left, and don't want to by someone else's problem. I do know what I have with this bike, I've always kept it well maintained. I don't mind spending a little more for quality, so if I'm able to replace factory with a superior part I will. Thanks for your help Dragon Lady

Old 11-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #4

Manual cam chain adjusters should solve the problem. I bought a set and they are longer than stock with extenders, Sold the Nomad but never installed the extenders, I'd sell them if your interested.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 11-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Advanced Member

I'm getting into an engine tear-down on my 03 VN1600 Classic to repair the 2nd gear issue in the tranny. My Classic has just over 31,500 miles on it. Given those miles, and that I only did 1500 of them I have no knowledge of the care and use of the bike before I bought it. It does have all the usual updates and aftermarket goodies, especially those for more power. So I can assume it was ridden with "enthusiasm". Seems to me new cam chains would be a good idea. What other aspects of a VN1600 with over 30K miles on it should I consider?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Manual cam chain adjusters should solve the problem. I bought a set and they are longer than stock with extenders, Sold the Nomad but never installed the extenders, I'd sell them if your interested.
I've had a set for a while, I plan installing them in the new year. But sooner or later I'll need to replace the chain, I'd like to have the replacement before the need. But thanks for your offer.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:00 AM   #7

My 1999,1500G2 has about 66,000miles on it,and even with the extenders,the chains were worn out.In a few places, the inner plates had cut grooves into the pins,which caused snagging.It was not going to be long before it broke,and wrecked the engine.I bought a Borg Warner/Morse chain on ebay,with a joining/ soft link,to save stripping the engine right down.Not cheap, at more than 2x the Kawasaki price,but my research told me to buy them.One of the joining/soft links needed a small round file, to open up the outer plate to allow the pin through.They call them soft links,they are anything but though.I broke the riveting tool trying to burr the pins over,and had to use a small ball pein hammer and steel block.Are they any better than the Kawasaki chain ? Ask me after another 66,000 miles.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-Chain...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300140558.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-10-29 22.10.59.jpg (80.7 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #8

verrry interesting option Mick !

Old 11-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
My 1999,1500G2 has about 66,000miles on it,and even with the extenders,the chains were worn out.In a few places, the inner plates had cut grooves into the pins,which caused snagging.It was not going to be long before it broke,and wrecked the engine.I bought a Borg Warner/Morse chain on ebay,with a joining/ soft link,to save stripping the engine right down.Not cheap, at more than 2x the Kawasaki price,but my research told me to buy them.One of the joining/soft links needed a small round file, to open up the outer plate to allow the pin through.They call them soft links,they are anything but though.I broke the riveting tool trying to burr the pins over,and had to use a small ball pein hammer and steel block.Are they any better than the Kawasaki chain ? Ask me after another 66,000 miles.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-Chain...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300140558.html
Thanks Mick for the links, great place to start. The chains as you say are twice the price of Kawasaki chains but a lot cheaper than if the Kawasaki chain brakes.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

The "interesting" part for me,was how the chain snagged when it was worn.If you can imagine it coming around the smaller bottom cog,with a bit of a kick in it.It would not enter the plastic slipper/guide, that the tensioner holds tight,as it should.It would either hit the fixing bracket,or enter the slipper with a whack,rather than slide into it.That could knock,and wear the tapered receiving end out of shape.Not only that,a kinked chain would be tight in places,and slack in others.The tensioner would not be able to cope with that,as it is designed to go forwards only.It would be running slightly tight & slack at the same time.Part no 12352a, is the rear cylinder slipper i am referring to.

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com...-G2&country=GB

Having done this job,and had the top end apart once before.I would never use the extenders again.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Thanks Mick for the links, great place to start. The chains as you say are twice the price of Kawasaki chains but a lot cheaper than if the Kawasaki chain brakes.
I dont expect the Kawasaki chain to break mate,unless it's not changed when it should be.Every vehicle's chain has a life span. Some of us expected,that with a $20 fix,ours would go on forever.(and some have).I followed advice from others on here,and elsewhere,and that was fine.Now i have my own first hand experience,i am confident in what i say.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

I never saw whether you completed your rebuild/replace project. ?? Are you off the pedal bike yet?

Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #13

I have been waiting for a clutch/brake bleeding kit to arrive.And the weather has been crap,so i have'nt been on the pushbike either.Hoping to fire it up this weekend.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #14

Mick after checking the sites for Borg Warner/Morse, and the others, noticed all prices in pounds. I am located in Canada, so shipping may be an issue. I have a good friend who lives in Stevenage, Herts, so if I choose to go in that direction I'll have someone to ship to me. Rotating mail strike has just ended, so I'll sit tight until I know the back log is cleared. My bike is stored for the " Long Cold Winter ", so I'll look into the chains come January. Thanks once again for the help.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #15

You are welcome mate.Contact the sellers, to see what the shipping will cost,most will ship to Canada.